Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6

Author Topic: Everything has stopped working, after 2 years of great service.  (Read 22098 times)

Easttexasdragon

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
    • My Facebook Page
Re: Everything has stopped working, after 2 years of great service.
« Reply #15 on: March 29, 2013, 12:05:57 PM »

Ok had a friend that came and did something (somekind of meter)to check for line noise, He said all he saw was normal noise...Whatever that is. So I'm ruling out line noise. Still not getting response from anything, X10 tech had me remove AHP and reinstall it. Now I have lost my Registration codes because I didnt have the email they were on, well anyway, Moved the CM15A to the living room and plugged it into my laptop and installed AHP and got everything set up. Plugged the CM15A on the surge protector next to the Lamp module. Tried to turn on the lamp from AHP, didnt work, tried from the remote, didnt work, Cleared the interface and downloaded the timers and micros again, still didnt work, Reset the interface by removing all power, didnt work. moved the interface to a reguler wall plug, still didnt help. so now looking for cheap CM15A on ebay and a TM751. I added some pictures of how the find other computers changed as I went from day to day.

dave w

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 139
« Reply #16 on: March 29, 2013, 12:39:36 PM »

Ok had a friend that came and did something (somekind of meter)to check for line noise, He said all he saw was normal noise...Whatever that is. So I'm ruling out line noise.
I would not discount noise unless your friend used a meter specifically designed to look for noise in the same spectrum X10 uses for powerline command modulation (120kHz). I would like to know what "normal noise" is myself.

IF you plugged the Lamp Module and CM15A in same outlet and the lamp module could not be controlled with computer or RF remote in same room as CM15A then the CM15A may be bad. It is just unusual that most other functions of the CM15A is working.  I think this has been said in this thread, but some surge strips with built in filtering can kill X10 signals.
"This aftershave makes me look fat"

Easttexasdragon

• My Facebook Page
« Reply #17 on: March 29, 2013, 03:33:22 PM »

He had a meter that showed waves or jagged lines and any time something was turned on the lines would change..Its hard for me to explain. He also explained normal noise as Fridge, computer, powersupply noise... something about them being in normal range??????  And yes the CM15A was plugged into the same outlet (surge protector and /wall outlet) it it failed to turn on anything and yes its strange thats its still comunacating with the computer its even showing  the RF commands in the activity monitor. Anyway I'm waiting on someone from the Advanced X10 techs to call.  Also just checked the Find other computers again and its showing A1-16 in the yellow again.

systemdm

• Helpful Post Rating: 17
« Reply #18 on: March 29, 2013, 03:42:01 PM »

Easttexasdragon,   have you tried it without the surge protector?

dave w

• Community Organizer
« Reply #19 on: March 29, 2013, 05:52:22 PM »

And yes the CM15A was plugged into the same outlet (surge protector and /wall outlet) it it failed to turn on anything and yes its strange thats its still comunacating with the computer its even showing  the RF commands in the activity monitor. Anyway I'm waiting on someone from the Advanced X10 techs to call. 
I think you are doing a great job of troubleshooting. But, have you tried the CM15A without the surge suppressor?
If the CM15A isn't the problem then it seems all that is left is a hideous signal sucker. (you don't have a UPS on same circuit as CM15A do you?)
Good luck, I for one would be interested in a comment back, when you solve the problem, because this seems "one for the books".

Easttexasdragon

• My Facebook Page
« Reply #20 on: March 31, 2013, 02:48:20 AM »

Dave, I moved the CM15A to the Wall outlet that the surge protector is plugged into and even unplugged the surge protector and tryied it that way too. A X10 tech told me to plug the CM15A into the Surge protector and then plug a lamp module in next to it on the surge protector and that the surge protector will filter out any line noise, and this would be a great way to test the CM15A and that I should be able to control the lamp module from AHP with them being directly plugged next to each other in a filtered environment. It didnt work at all. So they turned it over to a Advanced X10 tech who was suppose to call me back friday, but never heard from anyone. Got an email from a X10 tech who first said that the CM15A needed to be replaced then he said He thought I was dealing with line noise, I sent him a reply that we tested for line noise, He hasnt replied to me yet.

Thought Today that I might have found the problem, I found a pig tail CFL light in my bedroom ceiling that was having a problem starting so I threw it away.
Then I thought I heard the CM15A click like it use to when it worked. but we were leaving and I didnt get a chance to test it. but tonight it still isnt working.

dave w

• Community Organizer
« Reply #21 on: March 31, 2013, 03:20:18 PM »

A X10 tech told me to plug the CM15A into the Surge protector and then plug a lamp module in next to it on the surge protector and that the surge protector will filter out any line noise, and this would be a great way to test the CM15A and that I should be able to control the lamp module from AHP with them being directly plugged next to each other in a filtered environment. It didnt work at all.
Well I get the idea, and agree; with CM15A and Lamp Module plugged in to same strip, you should see the Lamp Module being controlled. But I would have preferred a pain jane, non surge, non filtered outlet strip for testing. Regardless that test having failed sure points to a CM15A that is  "poo-poo, pee-pee, caa-caa" (a highly technical term that essentially means "does not meet spec"). Good luck.

Easttexasdragon

• My Facebook Page
« Reply #22 on: March 31, 2013, 05:09:25 PM »

Thanks Dave, I'm hoping I can get them to replace the Poo-Poo, Pee-Pee, Caa-Caa, CM15A but I'm thinking I will in up buying the whole thing again. I wish I could find someone close by that has a working CM15A that I can try to make sure its the Interface. I wonder if I take my interface to my neighbors with the lamp module if I could test it like that to see if it works by using just the transmitter part because the laptop seams to be communicating with the interface. Heres something new that happened last night. Around 3:30 am the lamp came on, Wasnt anyway to turn it off so had to unplug it. I was just wondering what would be producing 120Khz at 3 in the morning. Tried the remote and AHP and still cant control that Module..  ???   B:(  I feel llike I beating an old horse  >*<

dave w

• Community Organizer
« Reply #23 on: March 31, 2013, 05:45:37 PM »

I wonder if I take my interface to my neighbors with the lamp module if I could test it like that to see if it works by using just the transmitter part
I was just wondering what would be producing 120Khz at 3 in the morning.
1. Sure you could try that. At least it would confirm the CM15A as good or bad.
2. Same thing that was producing noise at 3:00 PM. Noisey cell phone charger, flat panel TV, control board on your furnace, cordless phone wall wart, etc. etc. etc. But CM15A and Lamp Module in same outlet strip (or simple " 3 way tap" even better as it eliminates any "unknown" in the outlet strip) should indicate a healthy CM15A if the light works. Especially if you tried the test on several differnt outlets on different circuits in the home.

dhouston

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 37
    • davehouston.org
« Reply #24 on: March 31, 2013, 07:10:01 PM »

Heres something new that happened last night. Around 3:30 am the lamp came on, Wasnt anyway to turn it off so had to unplug it. I was just wondering what would be producing 120Khz at 3 in the morning.
The tooth fairy strikes again.  rofl
This message was composed entirely from recycled letters of the alphabet using only renewable, caffeinated energy sources.
No twees, wabbits, chimps or whales died in the process.
https://www.laser.com/dhouston

dave w

• Community Organizer
« Reply #25 on: April 01, 2013, 09:29:49 AM »

Heres something new that happened last night. Around 3:30 am the lamp came on, Wasnt anyway to turn it off so had to unplug it. I was just wondering what would be producing 120Khz at 3 in the morning.
The tooth fairy strikes again.  rofl
No, check the date. Could have been the Easter bunny.

Easttexasdragon

• My Facebook Page
« Reply #26 on: April 01, 2013, 03:56:25 PM »

Ha Ha Ha you two are so funny   :)%   And the CM15A didnt work at neighbors house so I guess it is bad, Thanks Guys for ALL your help. I will let you know if getting a new CM15A helps.

dave w

• Community Organizer
« Reply #27 on: April 01, 2013, 05:28:13 PM »

Ha Ha Ha you two are so funny   :)%   And the CM15A didnt work at neighbors house so I guess it is bad, Thanks Guys for ALL your help. I will let you know if getting a new CM15A helps.
Sorry about running you down some dead end streets, but the CM15A is actually fairly reliable regarding out and out failure. RF range is a different matter.

Noam

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 51
« Reply #28 on: April 03, 2013, 04:23:33 PM »

That *might* not be a true test. If there is noise from somewhere on the same transformer (perhaps even originating from your neighbor's house), you might not get good results with that test. If you can, you might try testing it at a few different places, (specifically some that are NOT on the same street transformer), and see if the results vary at all. Also, are you connecting the CM15A to a computer when you are testing it? the CM15a might be resetting between tests, and might not be transceiving the codes you think it is.

dave w

• Community Organizer
« Reply #29 on: April 03, 2013, 05:51:33 PM »

That *might* not be a true test. If there is noise from somewhere on the same transformer (perhaps even originating from your neighbor's house), you might not get good results with that test. If you can, you might try testing it at a few different places, (specifically some that are NOT on the same street transformer), and see if the results vary at all.
"Texas" said in Reply #8 on: March 20, 2013, 12:08:04 PM that he was the only home on his transformer, so trying the CM15A in an outlet strip with a lamp module and a RF remote, at a neighbors home, should confirm if the CM15A is the culprit or not. I'm totally out of help IF the CM15A is good. Although I don't remember "seeing" a CM15A where only the PLC transmitter is bad (output amp?), but that's where I'm at now. Read the thread and see what you think.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.