Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Microphone Type for XX40A  (Read 2374 times)

thomasr

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
Microphone Type for XX40A
« on: April 10, 2013, 04:03:34 PM »

Hello. I recently purchased an XX40A to be used as a baby monitor. Got the camera up and running in no time.

I have a question on the microphone though. Do I need a powered microphone or does the camera handle any required amplification? In technical terms I think it is either a "mic level" or a "line level" output that comes from a microphone (not a big audio guy).

Also, anyone have any suggestions on a microphone? It needs to pick up sound in the whole room...

dave w

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 139
Re: Microphone Type for XX40A
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2013, 04:18:28 PM »

"This aftershave makes me look fat"

thomasr

« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2013, 04:20:23 PM »

Thanks. I saw that but it didn't definitively tell me if I needed a separate power source for the mic or if the camera has enough juice via the RCA plug to power the mic.

I may be thinking about this too much as well...

richy2

• Helpful Post Rating: 6
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2013, 10:24:15 PM »

Thanks. I saw that but it didn't definitively tell me if I needed a separate power source for the mic or if the camera has enough juice via the RCA plug to power the mic.

I may be thinking about this too much as well...

Im uusing a mic with a separate power source.

thomasr

« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2013, 10:51:45 AM »

Thanks. I have placed an order for one with a power supply.

I ordered this one. http://www.supercircuits.com/accessories/microphones/super-high-gain-micro-audio-system-pa3

With this power supply. http://www.supercircuits.com/accessories/camera-power-supplies/single-camera-power-supplies/12-volt-dc-500-milliamp-regulated-power-supply-dc12-500r

Confirmed with the company that the the physical connectors are the same size.

richy2

« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2013, 12:29:20 PM »

Thanks. I have placed an order for one with a power supply.

I ordered this one. http://www.supercircuits.com/accessories/microphones/super-high-gain-micro-audio-system-pa3

With this power supply. http://www.supercircuits.com/accessories/camera-power-supplies/single-camera-power-supplies/12-volt-dc-500-milliamp-regulated-power-supply-dc12-500r

Confirmed with the company that the the physical connectors are the same size.

I picked this mic from Amazon http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0053V5Z9W/ref=oh_details_o05_s00_i01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

My camera is mounted outside and had purchased a 25 foot extension for the power supply.

Surprising these little mic works extremely well.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2013, 12:32:23 PM by richy2 »

thomasr

« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2013, 08:55:09 PM »

Just wanted to provide a quick update. I received the mic (link above) yesterday and installed it today. I have to say this little mic is amazingly sensitive and works extremely well. I installed it in a 1-gang outlet box and drilled a small hole in a blank face plate so the mic sticks out slightly into the room. That got mounted in the ceiling above the crib in my nursery along with my camera.

All set now with a wifi enabled baby monitor with pan, tilt, 3x optical zoom, IR, and excellent audio.

« Last Edit: April 17, 2013, 08:59:12 PM by thomasr »

richy2

« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2013, 01:43:11 PM »

Just wanted to provide a quick update. I received the mic (link above) yesterday and installed it today. I have to say this little mic is amazingly sensitive and works extremely well. I installed it in a 1-gang outlet box and drilled a small hole in a blank face plate so the mic sticks out slightly into the room. That got mounted in the ceiling above the crib in my nursery along with my camera.

All set now with a wifi enabled baby monitor with pan, tilt, 3x optical zoom, IR, and excellent audio.

Question: Will you also be using the motion detection on a regular to know when the baby moves?
Recording?

thomasr

« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2013, 09:06:47 PM »

Likely no. Just video and audio. Maybe in the future the 2 way audio as well. Haven't been a huge fan of the motion alarms...they seem to go off all the time based on my experience.

There are a couple of decent iOS apps which alarm on loud sounds...which may be more useful as a baby monitor.

Of course on day 1.5 my entire plan will fall apart  :)

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.