Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: miniAndroidPC  (Read 17638 times)

dhouston

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 37
    • davehouston.org
Re: miniAndroidPC
« Reply #15 on: June 05, 2013, 06:35:58 PM »

I have the On/Off icon so I think I have the updated firmware.

I have fairly strong WiFi now but do wonder if the frequent screen blackouts are related to WiFi or are just HDMI or processor related. Most are less than a second but some are 3-4 seconds duration and usually I see a mode/resolution indicator in the upper right corner of the screen on the longer ones - the same indicator that appears briefly when changing inputs, TV channels, etc. so it seems like it's losing the HDMI input for short intervals.

Any B4A coding will be down the road aways although that is one reason for opting for the hardware. My lousy health has delayed several projects that have higher priority should I manage to get back to active development.
This message was composed entirely from recycled letters of the alphabet using only renewable, caffeinated energy sources.
No twees, wabbits, chimps or whales died in the process.
https://www.laser.com/dhouston

Tuicemen

• Administrator
  • Helpful Post Rating: 282
  • I don't work for X10, I use it successfuly!
« Reply #16 on: June 05, 2013, 10:11:32 PM »

I wonder if it is the HDMI cable?
Do you have another you can try?
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

dhouston

• Advanced Member
    • davehouston.org
« Reply #17 on: June 06, 2013, 06:47:47 AM »

By yesterday evening, the display was rapidly flashing on/off continuously, making it unusable. This AM it is totally dead with only the Not Support! message. I think it's time to return it.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2013, 06:49:39 AM by dhouston »
This message was composed entirely from recycled letters of the alphabet using only renewable, caffeinated energy sources.

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
« Reply #18 on: June 06, 2013, 10:03:20 AM »

I am following this thread with great interest... not just lurking. I think you guys may be on the right trail even if the road is bumpy. I have looked at and considered the Android TV Stik available at geeks. I've been playing around with a Android 7inch tablet for some time.

Some months ago I installed a home theater for a friend. She wanted an 2nd monitor/TV besides the projector. I found a cheap $20 duplicator-amplifier (you can't actually split HDMI) did the trick and allowed me an extra 33 foot HDMI run. I also found that moving/switching the audio to a separate digital or analog really freed up the tiny little processor and allowed things to work much better. Audio and video both on the HDMI output seems to strain the little devices processing power.

Now.... if we could get X10 to offer an Android AHP app that connected to the CM15A.... I'd be a pretty happy camper.
Home Automation is an always changing technology

dhouston

• Advanced Member
    • davehouston.org
« Reply #19 on: June 06, 2013, 10:38:43 AM »

@HADave,
The MK808 came with a ~12" HDMI cable. I'm not using anything with audio - I'm only interested in browsing the web and maybe developing an HA related app if my health improves enough to allow it. I will continue to chronicle my early adopter blues.

One problem with the device you are interested in is it runs Android 4.0 whereas many others are running 4.1.

I'm going to try to return this one. Then I'll try one more MK808. Amazon has stock again so I can get one in two days instead of waiting for air mail from ShenZhen, China.

One thing I did not get a chance to try - the K400 keyboard has a PC on/off button. It would be fantastic if it can control the MK808. It does appear that the onscreen power icon puts it into a low power standby mode. It was cooler but obviously still under some power this AM.

A big problem is the lack of documentation and support. The forum Tuicemen referenced really isn't much help. The less adventurous might want to wait for Dell's offering. While it's likely to cost more it's also likely to be better supported.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2013, 01:37:19 PM by dhouston »

Tuicemen

• Administrator
« Reply #20 on: June 06, 2013, 11:20:38 AM »

I am following this thread with great interest... not just lurking. I think you guys may be on the right trail even if the road is bumpy. I have looked at and considered the Android TV Stik available at geeks. I've been playing around with a Android 7inch tablet for some time.
The device looks much like the mk808 only runs Ice Cream Sandwich like the MK802.
I don't have any issues with Android 4.0, however with these devices developing so fast I'd look for one with more bang for your buck.
The 808 and 802 are dinosaurs, only not extinct yet.
The mk818 seems to be the latest version with Android 4.2 and lots of extras
You could run Linux on these which might allow a interface connection.
You might even be able to run Win CE which would allow a interface connection.

Unless x10 comes out with a driver for Android, I believe the new Thin Clients may be the way to go, though they aren't as cheep to play with.
Hey maybe X10 will come out with their version of an Android Mini PC similar to the MK818 with x10 interface drivers ::) :'
(we can only hope) ;)
 >!
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

dhouston

• Advanced Member
    • davehouston.org
« Reply #21 on: June 06, 2013, 01:10:08 PM »

Wish I had seen this earlier...
He describes exactly what I saw with the MK808. I also agree that, "This is really promising technology."

One poster to the above link says it needs a better power supply and I got similar impressions from the sketchy manual and from the manufacturer's tech support. I'm looking for a 5V/2A USB wallwart to try in case the next MK808 exhibits the same problem. My first one was missing the power supply and the 5V/1A supply I bought separately might have been inadequate.

Also, one more data point: My Vizio SmartTV already has WiFi (or wired ethernet) and can stream Netflix, Amazon Prime (I have it.), etc. so my need is purely to be able to surf the web. The 50" screen is big enough that I could read Google News or this forum from across the room. Vizio has an app store but they all seem to be a waste (and hopefully predate Marissa). It does have Yahoo news and Weather apps but they are really rudimentary.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2013, 01:46:04 PM by dhouston »

Tuicemen

• Administrator
« Reply #22 on: June 06, 2013, 01:47:43 PM »

I just tried the OTG port with a OTG to USB Male end and plugged it into the USB port on the TV with the Android power plug removed.
This does power the unit up when the TV is turned on and off when the TV is turned off. :)%
If your TV has a USB port you could try that as well.
>!
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

dhouston

• Advanced Member
    • davehouston.org
« Reply #23 on: June 06, 2013, 01:56:39 PM »

I just tried the OTG port with a OTG to USB Male end and plugged it into the USB port on the TV with the Android power plug removed.
I suspect that's pushing things a bit. The USB spec is only for 500mA. The Leaf Ultra indoor TV antenna/amp has an option to power it from the TV USB but that probably only needs 20-25mA. My TV has a USB port but I doubt it can supply the 1A needed for the MK808. I woudn't want to risk damaging the TV.

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
« Reply #24 on: June 07, 2013, 12:39:50 AM »

.... it needs a better power supply and I got similar impressions from the sketchy manual and from the manufacturer's tech support. I'm looking for a 5V/2A USB wallwart to try in case the next MK808 exhibits the same problem. My first one was missing the power supply and the 5V/1A supply I bought separately might have been inadequate.

When switching my Home Automation PC over to a laptop I was concerned about the strain of the power draw on the laptops USB ports. Particularly if the homes electric power was to fail and any USB powered device would continue to suck electric from the laptops battery. So... to get a good solid USB power supply I used an old USB hub. It has a big old powerful transformer and doesn't appear to make much line noise ether.
Home Automation is an always changing technology

dhouston

• Advanced Member
    • davehouston.org
« Reply #25 on: June 07, 2013, 09:21:35 AM »

I bought the first MK808 through Amazon. It was shipped by Amazon so getting a refund was automatic. This unit was missing the power supply. As it was the last unit in stock, I suspect it had been returned by another user or the power supply had been cannibalized. I bought a 5V/1A supply but was never able to get the unit to do anything other than display the initial Google TV screen.

Amazon was out of stock so while I bought the second MK808 through Amazon it was shipped from China by GeekBuying. They are telling me I have to flash the ROM and I'm telling them they should have done this before shipping it. The procedure for flashing the ROM is difficult for someone with only one semi-useful hand so I'm asking GeekBuying for a refund but suspect none will be forthcoming.

Amazon replenished their stock so I've ordered a third MK808 from them along with a 5V/2A power supply designed for rapid charging of cell phones, tablets, etc. which I expect to handle any transient high current demands better than the OEM 5V/1A supply. I should have everything by Monday. If I cannot get it to work, I'll likely wait for Dell and hope my wireless K400 keyboard will work with their hardware.

dhouston

• Advanced Member
    • davehouston.org
« Reply #26 on: June 08, 2013, 08:45:02 AM »

...I'm asking GeekBuying for a refund but suspect none will be forthcoming.
I was wrong. GeekBuying emailed a Return Authorization so it looks like all I'm out of pocket will be Priority Mail to California.

The third MK808 should arrive Monday.

dhouston

• Advanced Member
    • davehouston.org
Re: miniAndroidPC - 3rd time's a charm -so far
« Reply #27 on: June 10, 2013, 02:31:27 PM »

The third MK808 arrived. I didn't bother with its 1A power supply, using a 2A supply I bought separately. So far, everything is rock solid. Not a single screen flicker and the WiFi link bounces between 3 & 4 (4 is max).

I suspect most of my earlier troubles were related to an inadequate power supply. Will post more as things progress.

dhouston

• Advanced Member
    • davehouston.org
Re: miniAndroidPC - so far, so good
« Reply #28 on: June 11, 2013, 08:38:11 AM »

So far, so good.

I'm impressed - even after all the problems getting one to work.

If your TV cannot stream natively, this would be a good and economical option for Netflix, Hulu, etc. And, I would expect HA related apps to begin to appear (any Android app should be an option). I spent $85 for MK808, K400 keyboard and 2A power supply and now have a 50 inch tablet with wireless keyboard/touchpad.

One problem is that it runs Android and every Tom, Dick, Harry and Louise has created their own firmware versions so, aside from the too many cooks issue, you never really know the origin nor what might be hidden in the code (Android malware has already reared its ugly head). The less adventurous are advised to wait a few months for Dell's offering. For other bleeding edge geeks, plunge right in.  8)

There is a newer MK812 which has a 2.1A power supply, aluminum case and external WiFi antenna. It also has both HDMI and AV cables. It runs Android 4.2. Had I researched things a bit more before plunging into the deep end of the pool, I might have opted for the MK812.

The MK812 also has a good user manual (the one for the MK808 is abysmal).

The miniAndroid PC home page...

There's an Android app that can control it from an Android Smartphone (or tablet), saving the cost of a keyboard.

I recommend using Amazon (if they ship it, returns/refunds are simple) or paying with PayPal (refunds take a week or so).

It should be possible to control a CM15A directly with this device using the USB OTG connection. I believe the CM15A is an HID class device (i.e. like a keyboard or mouse) but I'll leave that to others (my preference is to replace the CM15A microcontroller to allow full direct control of PLC & RF).
« Last Edit: June 11, 2013, 09:00:56 AM by dhouston »

Tuicemen

• Administrator
« Reply #29 on: June 11, 2013, 09:31:52 AM »

These units are very new, the mk802 came out Nov 2012 and the newest versions have far more power and options.
I too wish I had waited a bit before getting my feet wet as I find I'm trying to add stuff to my android mini which I wouldn't need to with a newer version.
I've flashed my unit several times to get the latest Android OS to enable Bluetooth, voice, Camera support and other things not available with the stock OS.
These will run on a Linux OS so  HA buffs could possibly add mochad which would allow interface with a cm19 or cm15.
For now current Android apps like TAC allow me to control my HA with it.
 >!
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.