Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: miniAndroidPC  (Read 17639 times)

dhouston

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 37
    • davehouston.org
Re: miniAndroidPC
« Reply #30 on: June 11, 2013, 11:22:19 AM »

The link I gave in post #28 has decent instructions for installing a few of the 57,000 varieties of Linux so mochad should be rather straightforward. Or someone might use the mochad source and Neil Cherry's website as guides to write a native Android app using Basic4android of another Android programming language. About a year ago the mochad author had agreed to work with me on creating an Android version but some serious health issues hospitalized and sidetracked me - things were left up in the air. Given the development of these devices, he might be interested in doing it on his own or in working with someone else.

One thing that would be immensely helpful would be for X10 to publish the CM15A communications protocol. I've never understood why they haven't. I'm sure they would sell far more CM15As if there were some better software and it would reduce their support burden.

B4A might also support the CM11A using a USB-serial adapter.

My neice currently uses an Android tablet to stream Netflix type things to her TV. Now that I have the MK808 working, I may give it to her and replace it with the MK812 (or whatever is new next week).
« Last Edit: June 11, 2013, 01:57:15 PM by dhouston »
This message was composed entirely from recycled letters of the alphabet using only renewable, caffeinated energy sources.
No twees, wabbits, chimps or whales died in the process.
https://www.laser.com/dhouston

dhouston

• Advanced Member
    • davehouston.org
« Reply #31 on: June 12, 2013, 10:35:39 PM »

Two full days without problems so I decided to try the Sleep key on the K400 keyboard. It works both to put the MK808 to sleep and to wake it from sleep. I think it's a keeper.
This message was composed entirely from recycled letters of the alphabet using only renewable, caffeinated energy sources.

dhouston

• Advanced Member
    • davehouston.org
« Reply #32 on: June 13, 2013, 10:41:20 AM »

It works both to put the MK808 to sleep and to wake it from sleep.
If it sleeps longer than a minute or so, it can only be revived by cycling power to reboot it.

So, it lacks an on/off switch and needs a bigger power supply than the one that is supplied. It's still impressive for the $45 price.

While I haven't tested the newer MK812, I would expect it to work with its bigger power supply. And, the external WiFi antenna should improve range. Finally, it has both HDMI and AV connections so it can be used with TVs lacking HDMI inputs (or when all the HDMI inputs are in use).

The Logitech K400 wireless USB keyboard/touchpad includes a range extender. I've had no issues using it from 12-14 feet.

dhouston

• Advanced Member
    • davehouston.org
« Reply #33 on: June 24, 2013, 04:55:58 PM »

I did finally get a refund from GeekBuying for the second MK808. And, the third MK808 continues to purr right along with nary a hiccup.

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
« Reply #34 on: June 25, 2013, 10:27:24 PM »

.... the third MK808 continues to purr right along with nary a hiccup.

Very nice.
Home Automation is an always changing technology

dhouston

• Advanced Member
    • davehouston.org
« Reply #35 on: June 26, 2013, 07:11:12 AM »

.... the third MK808 continues to purr right along with nary a hiccup.
Very nice.

I should emphasize that I haven't tried streaming things like Netflix videos as my TV has that capability built in. For the most part, I have used it for browsing the web. I've left it powered up 24/7 (~5W) as it's not particularly easy for this gimpy geezer to access it to unplug/plug it.

If it's not too much of a hassle, I'll try Netflix or Hulu+ (both offer free trials) via the MK808 in the next few days so I can report on the quality of streaming a movie or TV show.

My TV WiFi always shows 4 bars (max) for its WiFi link while the MK808 shows only 3 bars. I suspect that's related to the interior (inferior) antennae. The distance for both the TV and MK808 to my router is 8-10' through an interior plaster wall - obliquely and probably with some wire lath. The newer (and costlier) MK812 will likely offer better range with its external antenna. The MK812 is also the choice for older TVs w/o HDMI inputs.

I doubt anyone will have range issues with the Logitech K400 keyboard.

Also, I haven't done anything with audio so cannot report on audio quality. If I get it streaming a movie. I'll report on the audio then.

I'm using the 5V/2A PLANEX Dual USB Universal Wall Charger - $10 at Amazon instead of the 1A supply that came with the MK808. The next time I have a need to access the rear of the TV, I'll try to remember to check the actual amps, efficiency, etc. with my Kill-a-Watt.

« Last Edit: June 26, 2013, 07:38:39 AM by dhouston »

dhouston

• Advanced Member
    • davehouston.org
« Reply #36 on: June 26, 2013, 09:27:18 AM »

The free trials required signing up w/credit info and I don't want that info floating about any more than necessary (I'm sure the NSA and Snowden already have it) so I tested using Wall Street Journal Live via YouTube with excellent results for both video and audio. I'm confident that Netflix, Hulu+, et al will work equally well.

Aside from the power supply issue I think this is ready for prime time. Had I been aware of it, I might have postponed buying my WiFi capable SmarTV. The TV I replaced, with the MK808 plugged into it, could have done most of what the new one does natively.

Also, my Vizio TV has a Yahoo Apps link. If Yahoo Apps had included a decent web browser, I would have little need of the MK808.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2013, 09:43:16 AM by dhouston »

dhouston

• Advanced Member
    • davehouston.org
« Reply #37 on: July 03, 2013, 08:43:40 AM »

A hiccup...

After several days under power 24/7 the screen froze on a webpage, with no time update and no mouse pointer.

Cycling the MK808 power cleared things.

As these devices evolve they will, hopefully, add a way to cycle the power without unplugging/plugging the power supply.

Also, there was a period yesterday afternoon when I had problems with streaming using my TV. And, I've lately experienced occasional, brief periods when I lost internet access for my LAN. I don't know whether that happened yesterday but it might explain the MK808 freeze-up.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2013, 09:24:47 AM by dhouston »

dhouston

• Advanced Member
    • davehouston.org
« Reply #38 on: July 25, 2013, 10:49:38 AM »

The MK808 continues to purr right along. It's under power 24/7 and there are occasional (rare) freeze-ups that require a power cycle.

Of late I've also seen periods when I could not access Netflix or Amazon Instant Video nor access certain (geographic) regions of the web via my PC, leading me to believe there's been excess traffic which might explain some of the MK808 freeze-ups.

Also, I found there was a simple member sign-in for Netflix so I installed the Netflix app from Google Play in order to provide a comparison between accessing it via the built-in app on my TV and the MK808. It's equally easy to access and operate via either route but performance and picture quality (resolution) is better via the TV's app.

YMMV

dhouston

• Advanced Member
    • davehouston.org
« Reply #39 on: January 30, 2014, 12:23:49 PM »

It took them a looooong time and their device is a bit pricey, but Dell is finally shipping their PC-on-a-stick.
My MK808 is still purring along.

Tuicemen

• Administrator
  • Helpful Post Rating: 282
  • I don't work for X10, I use it successfuly!
« Reply #40 on: December 17, 2014, 09:17:20 AM »

Since my Mk802 wasn't getting much use at the off grid place I decided to play with it more this winter.
With Mini PCs now on the market for under $100 with windows 8 installed http://www.dx.com/p/meegopad-t01-quad-core-android-4-4-windows-8-hdmi-google-tv-player-w-2gb-ram-16gb-rom-us-plug-364372#.VJGKc2ctB1s I figured this will hit the trash bin shortly.
I think I may just have jumped the gun in thinking that! ::) :'
I knew you could run Linux from these but I guess I never looked into it much until now.
I spent a few days reading up on this and discovered there are a couple of builds made special for these.
The cool thing is these run from the mini SD card. Remove it, restart and the android OS is still there so not flashing to worry about.

Reading users comments about running raspi for controlling their HA setups got me thinking.
These are basically a raspi may be with more ram (depending on model).
I may at some point try a Raspi SD boot disk but for now Linux is purring along with HomeGenie installed just nicely.
The MK802 is slow to load Linux and running a web browser is impossible (for some reason pages won't display)
This isn't a big concern for me as it runs Homegenie with the CM15A connected just fine.
I may connect it to the TV there but most likely never view it.

Many user shy away from Linux as it looks like you have to be a programmer to set it up.
This isn't the case any longer and installing Homegenie was like installing a Windows program just click on the installer and let it run.
I haven't tested Zwave on this yet but will.
I don't have any Zwave  at the cottage anyways so that's not a must for me anyhow.
Power consumption is the key there and with this only using 5 volts I can't go wrong.
 >!
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
« Reply #41 on: December 18, 2014, 03:41:53 AM »

Since my Mk802 wasn't getting much use at the off grid place I decided to play with it more this winter.
With Mini PCs now on the market for under $100 with windows 8 installed http://www.dx.com/p/meegopad-t01-quad-core-android-4-4-windows-8-hdmi-google-tv-player-w-2gb-ram-16gb-rom-us-plug-364372#.VJGKc2ctB1s I figured this will hit the trash bin shortly.
I think I may just have jumped the gun in thinking that!

I knew you could run Linux from these but I guess I never looked into it much until now.
I spent a few days reading up on this and discovered there are a couple of builds made special for these.
The cool thing is these run from the mini SD card. Remove it, restart and the android OS is still there so not flashing to worry about.

.... it runs Homegenie with the CM15A connected just fine. I may connect it to the TV there but most likely never view it.

I keep forgetting about these. I think these may be the HA PC's of the future. Your on top of this!
Home Automation is an always changing technology

Tuicemen

• Administrator
« Reply #42 on: December 18, 2014, 08:17:04 AM »

I have a couple of threads on my forum with info on these.
http://tuicemen.com/forum/index.php?board=60.0
One includes the info to install Linux, the links Dave posted earlier are now dead.
 >!
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

dhouston

• Advanced Member
    • davehouston.org
« Reply #43 on: December 18, 2014, 10:16:28 AM »

For anyone just beginning with this, the Raspberry Pi B+ at $35 is probably a better option both economically and in ease of use. There are several versions of Linux for it as well as a few Android versions. It does need a WiFi dongle (or wired ethernet) but they are available for under $10. I have one but I'm afraid my days of experimenting are over as my spinal cord problem has worsened and my neurosurgeon says surgery to deal with it is very risky.

Tuicemen

• Administrator
« Reply #44 on: December 18, 2014, 10:45:32 AM »

For anyone just beginning with this, the Raspberry Pi B+ at $35 is probably a better option both economically and in ease of use. There are several versions of Linux for it as well as a few Android versions. It does need a WiFi dongle (or wired ethernet) but they are available for under $10. I have one but I'm afraid my days of experimenting are over as my spinal cord problem has worsened and my neurosurgeon says surgery to deal with it is very risky.
The Raspberry is probably cheaper then trying to find a cheep Android mini PC but I'd go with the Banana Pi as it is faster then the Raspberry and I believe Wi-Fi is included.
Sorry to hear your days of experimenting are over!
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.