Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: TW523 / PSC05 Replacement  (Read 41680 times)

JeffVolp

• Helpful Post Rating: 122
    • XTB Home Page
TW523 / PSC05 Replacement
« on: May 31, 2012, 05:07:54 PM »

Many of us use one or more TW523/PSC05 X10 powerline interfaces as part of our automation system.  That product has apparently been discontinued, and is no longer listed by any of the large dealers on eBay.

Some of you know that the XTB-IIR provides TW523 emulation, but that is an expensive option for those who just need that interface.  I am in the process of designing a simple plug-in module (XTB-523) that will include the TW523 emulation and also optionally act as a repeater for powerline signals.  I hope to have this available in about a month.

Jeff
X-10 automation since the BSR days

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
Re: TW523 / PSC05 Replacement
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2012, 06:44:46 PM »

Thank you for the update.
I am sure that it will be a welcomed module by those needing a PSC05/TW523.

JeffVolp

• XTB Home Page
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2012, 11:07:21 PM »

Here is a little update on this project.  The unit will be called the XTB-523.

Much of the code has been ported over from the XTB-IIR.  It will emulate the TW523 like the XTB-IIR does, including both transmission and reception of extended commands.

In addition to being a TW523/PSC05 replacement, it will also provide an optional repeater capability.  While not producing as strong a signal as the XTBR or XTB-IIR, it will still be well above the levels produced by the X10 TW523/PSC05.

The hardware design is done, as is most of the firmware.  Machined cases are on order and PCBs will be ordered in the next couple of days.  The first units should be available in a few weeks.

Target price is $59 for the kit and $89 assembled and tested.

Jeff

JeffVolp

• XTB Home Page
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2012, 09:57:03 AM »

Back Orders again!

The XTB-523 PCBs arrived a week ago, and the prototype has been providing the powerline interface for our home automation system (Ocelot) since then.  I even unplugged the XTBR booster at the distribution panel, and have been using the repeater capability of the XTB-523.  While the signals are not quite as strong, everything is still running fine.

The custom machined cases were shipped from Polycase Thursday, so I should be able to begin shipping the XTB-523 in a few days.

Last night I tried to order one of the critical components used in all my XTB transmitters, and found it was out of stock everywhere - Mouser, Digikey, Allied, Newark, Avnet, Future, and several other smaller companies.  While I still have some inventory left that I can juggle based on demand for my products, I will run out before the backorder will be shipped - now scheduled for October.

Back orders were a serious problem a few years ago, but the distributor inventory has been pretty good recently.  Now I’m seeing back order problems again, with some components even being special order only.

Jeff

Noam

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 51
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2012, 11:50:24 AM »

Back Orders again!

The XTB-523 PCBs arrived a week ago, and the prototype has been providing the powerline interface for our home automation system (Ocelot) since then.  I even unplugged the XTBR booster at the distribution panel, and have been using the repeater capability of the XTB-523.  While the signals are not quite as strong, everything is still running fine.

The custom machined cases were shipped from Polycase Thursday, so I should be able to begin shipping the XTB-523 in a few days.

Last night I tried to order one of the critical components used in all my XTB transmitters, and found it was out of stock everywhere - Mouser, Digikey, Allied, Newark, Avnet, Future, and several other smaller companies.  While I still have some inventory left that I can juggle based on demand for my products, I will run out before the backorder will be shipped - now scheduled for October.

Back orders were a serious problem a few years ago, but the distributor inventory has been pretty good recently.  Now I’m seeing back order problems again, with some components even being special order only.

Jeff

Hang in there, Jeff.
I have found that most advanced X10 users (the ones who know enough to buy your amazing products) are willing to stick it out, to get the right tool for the job. As long as you keep your customers informed of a delay, even if you don't have a definite ship date yet (in other words, don't pull an "X-10" and ignore your customers ;-) ), I doubt anyone will fault you for it. Good customer service can really go a long way, and can be what the customer remembers most about the experience (not the shipping delays).  ;-)

JeffVolp

• XTB Home Page
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2012, 04:30:44 PM »

As long as you keep your customers informed of a delay, even if you don't have a definite ship date yet (in other words, don't pull an "X-10" and ignore your customers ;-)

Thank you for the support.

There are no shipping delays yet (except for the XTBM Pro that I had hoped to finish last summer).  The first batch of XTB-523 PCBs are assembled.  The cases should be here Wednesday, and the first assembled units should be shipped before the weekend.  I'm working on the documentation now.

Here is the prototype PCB:

I had promised the XTB-523 would be ready by the end of the month, and it looks like I'm going to make it.

The draft documentation is now available on line:  http://jvde.us/xtb/XTB-523_description.htm

Jeff
« Last Edit: June 26, 2012, 06:41:13 PM by JeffVolp »

jimclayton

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2014, 04:28:53 PM »

Jeff, I would like to purchase your module that is a replacement for the PSC05.  I have used X10 Homevision for 14 years in a 10,000 sq ft 3 story home and office set up on 10 acres.  HV runs the irrigation and all the rest.  It has been quite a fun trip.  I changed over to the XL version of Homevision six months ago and found the transition painless and productive.  Thanks in advance.  http://jimclayton.com/

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2014, 06:10:59 PM »

The XTB-523 is avilable on Jeff's sales page.
http://jvde.us/xtb/xtb_ordering.htm

JeffVolp

• XTB Home Page
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2014, 06:40:37 PM »

The XTB-523 is avilable on Jeff's sales page.

Thank you Brian.  I just finished testing another batch of these today.

Jeff

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.