Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Poll

Is there a device that will control X-10 devices at 400 feet?

wireless
- 0 (0%)
wired
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Author Topic: remote x10 operation  (Read 1895 times)

mikiep

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
remote x10 operation
« on: June 25, 2013, 01:08:53 PM »

My house and barn are located 400 feet appart and on separate utility transformers. I want to activate lights, etc, from house. Is there a product that will work with x-10 to do this?

dave w

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 139
Re: remote x10 operation
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2013, 04:29:26 PM »

The easy answer is no, X10 can't do it. X10 PLC or RF won't even go a quarter of that distance. Z-Wave might do it with a repeater along the 400' path.
"This aftershave makes me look fat"

dhouston

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 37
    • davehouston.org
Re: remote x10 operation
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2013, 06:07:06 PM »

My house and barn are located 400 feet appart and on separate utility transformers. I want to activate lights, etc, from house. Is there a product that will work with x-10 to do this?
You can modify an X10 transceiver (e.g. TM751), adding an isolation transformer and an amplified eggbeater antenna. With this located in the barn, it would allow control from the house using an X10 RF remote (e.g. HR12A). Putting the same hardware in the house would allow control from the barn.
Being on separate utility transformers means it's highly unlikely that any PLC technology would work over the powerlines.
This message was composed entirely from recycled letters of the alphabet using only renewable, caffeinated energy sources.
No twees, wabbits, chimps or whales died in the process.
https://www.laser.com/dhouston

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.