Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: X10 and the future  (Read 11460 times)

cj4331

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
X10 and the future
« on: December 11, 2013, 10:21:44 AM »

I got into X10 late--around 2006.  I have Active Home Pro controlling 4 lights and one appliance for all that time.  I also use one motion sensor, 2 large remotes and a mini timer.  I've used a couple other appliances over the years too and at Christmas I add 6 Christmas light plug in modules.  I also used 2 other motion detectors and a chime for awhile.

I can't say as my history with X10 has been all pleasant.  The motion detectors despite being indoor/outdoor didn't handle rain well and over time the buttons that setup the units failed to work--2 have been trashed now.  The chime broke.  I have a couple outlets that will not get a signal due to a quality surge protector I use on my TV stuff.  I have other outlets that are spotty and the motion sensors suffered from frequent oversensitivity and their range wasn't good.  Even the USB transceiver (I forget the number) that works with Active Home Pro became erratic at keeping time and I can no longer count on it doing that effectively.  Due to some outlets not receiving signals well my Christmas light setup is always frustrating and not as effective as I like.   B:(

First--no advise on fixing the problems please.   >*<  I know money (filters, replacement surge protector, bridges, repeaters, etc.) will fix everything.  I've dealt with each issue when it came up and I fully understand the issues and made the right decision for me on dealing with it.

Despite my problems I rely on the system for some things and at the prices they were selling for a couple yeas back when my email box received several "special offer" emails a day from them, X10 was a good value.   >! Now it seems prices have doubled--nope, probably tripled--and the stuff looks exactly the same.  ::) I don't see the value any more.  I was thinking about buying a couple more motion sensors and a new chime but I'll pass now.   :'(

I think X10 went out of business and has been restarted by a new owner--correct?   ???

Well with things the way they are now what do y'all think is the future.  Z-Wave?  INSTEON?  X10?  I'm not complaining, just lamenting and wanted to see what everyone else thinks.

Tuicemen

• Administrator
  • Helpful Post Rating: 282
  • I don't work for X10, I use it successfuly!
Re: X10 and the future
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2013, 12:02:24 PM »

Everything has its problems. ::) :'
Some have good luck with Zwave, INSTEON, Wi-Fi, ....
I've had good luck with X10 :)%
I haven't experimented with much other then Zwave and Wi-Fi more so Wi-Fi (EasyBulb, WeMo & IP Cameras)
Reliable Wi-Fi depends on a good quality modem/router and a good internet connection to control from other locations.
This also depends on location of the router just like the placement of a X10 transceiver.
My WI-FI setup isn't as extensive as my x10 but it has issues I'm still working out. B:(
 >!
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2013, 09:42:14 PM »

...... Well with things the way they are now what do y'all think is the future.  Z-Wave?  INSTEON?  X10?  I'm not complaining, just lamenting and wanted to see what everyone else thinks.

Hummmm..... I hate predicting the future. The odds of failure are almost guaranteed. Sorry for the length.... I've REALLY missed these forums.

History:  The problem with Home Automation has always been it's complexity. Most Home Automation setups were constructed and owned by electrical-mechanical minded DIY types. For most HA (Home Automation) types.... the setup was a hobby... and justified itself.

Other users of HA had a problem that they wanted/needed to resolve... which justified the cost/effort. Whether it was Christmas lights, water sprinklers, a pool pump on a timer.... Or being able to unlock a door when bed-ridden... cost and effort was justified.

Presently:  Home Automation is now being marketed like never before... being sold as a service... with TV commercials and everything. And purchased installed as a monthly fee... like cable TV or a security alarm. And both marketed and sold by the same security alarm and cable TV people. Integrating these services with smart phones has proven to be very desirable. Service providers claim sales increasing at 15% per year.

The Future:  I don't think DIY is going to subside! As the "service automation" sales increase I think (predict) so will the demand for DIY HA products. I think many HA users really enjoy creating thier HA setups. Also... many of us are too cheap (or poor) to consider the "automation for fee" service plans.

But whether purchased, leased, or DIY.... I expect to see (another prediction) a variety of brands and types of systems. RF is limited in its size and isn't for everywhere. PLC (like X10's PowerLine Command) isn't perfect for every user but is near limitless in its uses and the number of units/modules that can be used. The new WiFi IP-addressed modules are nice.... but once again... limited by RF restrictions.

In my vision of the future I see near limitless integration of whatever products and/or services the user may want to accomplish whatever level of automation is desired. The inclusion of smart phones and tablets makes full fledged automation systems pretty exciting. The HUGE number of available HA apps and people with technical skills make DIY easier than ever before. The only decision for the user will be monthly fee... or just build and own the system yourself.

Or maybe even combo systems. Like buy via service-fee... systems like the alarm system.... but build/create/own the camera monitoring, smartphone viewing portion of the setup. Then mix X10 and Z-wave or INSTEON for lighting and/or specialized control.

In the future..... I see more autonomous homes. Homes that can tell when to warn the resident that a garage door was left open.... or decide to just close the door. Homes that detect leaks, drafts, or unexpected activity and sends texts to the homes residents. Texts an image of someone ringing the door bell. So the home owner can speak directly to the visitor via the cellphone/intercom link. Or maybe.... the house will automatically turn off the alarm, unlock the door, and announce the allowed entry of the expected visitor... based on calendar schedule and facial recognition.   
« Last Edit: December 12, 2013, 10:01:29 AM by HA Dave »
Home Automation is an always changing technology

Tony Olson

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2013, 06:37:20 AM »

The overall cost of X10 was a big consideration for folks in the past (and still is to me). The CM15A controller with all it's problems seems to be still the same old hardware and the software who knows  ;D.

The ability that's allows the CM15A to run without being attached to a PC 24/7 is valuable I would think with the emergence of Wi-Fi development in the future.

I fall into the category of a minor hobbyist at best  ;D

Tony
Tony

HA Dave

« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2013, 11:04:29 AM »

The overall cost of X10 was a big consideration for folks in the past (and still is to me). The CM15A controller with all it's problems seems to be still the same old hardware and the software who knows  ;D.
The ability that's allows the CM15A to run without being attached to a PC 24/7 is valuable I would think with the emergence of Wi-Fi development in the future.
I fall into the category of a minor hobbyist at best  ;D
Tony

The CM15A was way ahead of it's time... (as was the CM11 before that). It was/is amazing what "minor hobbyist" like ourselves have done with computer aided Home Automation. But... newer ideas in technology allows even more amazing stuff. I've read of IP cameras that have a tiny (server) circuit built-in that causes the camera to report-in it's location/IP address to special DNS servers. So...setup with smartphones and such doesn't require special technical skills.

The new ideas and technologies make things better and easier for us hobbyists. 
« Last Edit: December 17, 2013, 11:20:34 AM by HA Dave »

Tuicemen

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2013, 12:05:07 PM »

For a while now I've thought Wi-Fi was the way to go. That is one reason I jumped on the failed Airpad band wagon, launched by the old company. :-[

The new Wi-Fi unit currently being worked on by X10 is a stand alone unit, so I'm told.
It is not a new version of the CM15A. As x10 gets closer to releasing this more details will become available.
I've ask to be kept up to date on this modules development as it progresses and will pass along anything I find out. ;)
Currently they aren't even at the testing stage yet.

There is a new wall switch also in the works a new version of the xps3. The new XPS3 which has a new relay and comes with AGC is said to be less noisy.
It currently is in the production phase and will be available next year.
It is not Wi-Fi but the Wi-Fi module will control it, as well as older x10 units.
I've also suggested any existing modules that get improvements be given new model numbers to avoid confusion, something the old x10 failed to do.
 >!

Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

dhouston

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 37
    • davehouston.org
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2014, 10:24:42 AM »

For a while now I've thought Wi-Fi was the way to go. That is one reason I jumped on the failed Airpad band wagon, launched by the old company. :-[

A word of caution - with WiFi and especially internet access to your HA installation there are enormous security risks. Recent stories about how easily hackers can take control of things like the camera in Mac laptops etc. are merely the tip of the iceberg.

Many years ago I included external control via email with rather rudimentary security via a frequently changed PIN that had to be included in the emailed command. Today, that would not be very secure but a rolling code arrangement similar to what's used with garage door openers would offer good security. Perhaps the new owners of X10 could investigate this for any WiFi and/or internet portal they may be contemplating.

This message was composed entirely from recycled letters of the alphabet using only renewable, caffeinated energy sources.
No twees, wabbits, chimps or whales died in the process.
https://www.laser.com/dhouston

HA Dave

« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2014, 04:52:52 AM »

A word of caution - with WiFi and especially internet access to your HA installation there are enormous security risks.

I don't think so. Virtually all modern routers have pretty sophisticated linking setups. virtually ALL homeowner hacks are human/operator error. If you deliberately setup a computer to accept malware without administrative permission.... and then accept, download, and install malware and viruses.... I don't call that a hack.

« Last Edit: January 18, 2014, 09:36:40 PM by HA Dave »

dhouston

• Advanced Member
    • davehouston.org
« Last Edit: January 18, 2014, 05:41:02 PM by dhouston »
This message was composed entirely from recycled letters of the alphabet using only renewable, caffeinated energy sources.

Tuicemen

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2014, 10:15:19 AM »

The major problem is end users home setups.
Modems that many use today have usernames and passwords that are still using the defaults.
Even changing these customer settings doesn't help.
What many don't realize is cable modems have an additional log in accounts for the provider to use.
These accounts have far more access then the typical account the end user uses to set out the wifi settings and such.
Once logged in as the service provider every setting can be changed and all devices accessed.
These account usernames and passwords should also be changed.
If the service Provider needs access for trouble shooting they can ask for the new info and the user should change them after the trouble shooting has been done.
Also these usernames and passwords get reset on a modem hard reset which customer service operators ask be done on a trouble shooting task.
I've been told you should never do this if asked.
 >!
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

dhouston

• Advanced Member
    • davehouston.org
« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2014, 10:46:46 AM »

The major problem is end users home setups.
I agree.

However, the proliferation of things connected to the internet (either directly or via connection to the home LAN) makes for a nightmare security scenario. And, the fact that many homes will have things from multiple manufacturers complicates the picture even more. The typical end user will not have the skills to diagnose and plug all the holes.

HA Dave

« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2014, 09:22:30 PM »

Yes.... I know. A piece written by sources at CNN (I think 3 people still consider CNN to be a creditable news source), a news story by some French news source (that I've NEVER heard of), and a free lance writer named.... Fahmida Y. Rashid (world famous.... or does he live in his parents basement) ?!?!?!?!?!?

That's what I hate about the crap side of the internet. So much fake and/or sensualized bull intended to gain the attention of the fearful and Technophobic. So... what now I add links from more credible sources that point out just how rare a home hacking is?????? Should I actually do the math (AGAIN) to show you are much more likely to be shot by some drug addict that kicks down your front door????

There is almost no way to profit and not go to jail by hacking into a neighbors Wi-Fi. If the people are that utterly desperate in the neighbor you live in.... MOVE.

A word of caution - with WiFi and especially internet access to your HA installation there are enormous security risks.

Instead of trying to warn/scare other X10 users about the use of technology.... why not spell out EXACTLY what those "enormous risks" are!!! Please.... what could happen? How would people be harmed? Maybe add the names of some of the people you know that have had this happen.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2014, 09:37:04 PM by HA Dave »

dhouston

• Advanced Member
    • davehouston.org
« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2014, 10:01:07 AM »

Technophobic
Technophobic? I got my FCC license in 1962. In 1981 I bought an Osbourne 1 for use at the multimillion dollar international operation that I ran. Shortly afterwards I bought a Kaypro II for my use at home and a ZX-81 for my sons. A bit later, I gave them the Kaypro II when I bought an IBM PC compatible. I haven't been without a PC since then. Currently, I have 6 desktops (W95-W98-W2000, XP Pro, W7 Pro, multiple OS, iMac, Mac-Mini), 2 laptops, 1 tablet and a WiFi enabled miniPC running Android (GoogleTV) that is plugged into my WiFi-enabled SmartTV. The first machine has 3 swappable HDDs. The multiple OS machine has 10 swappable HDDs with W7 and the 9 most widely used versions of Linux. One desktop connects via wire to my telco-supplied ADSL modem. Everything else (including a printer) uses WiFi. I also have a handful of bootable USB sticks with sufficient memory to run and evaluate other Linux versions. I've written software for all the above as well as designed hardware/firmware with microcontrollers (PICs, Atmel). Most of the above are now idle and powered down because my health has collapsed (spinal tumor, lung cancer, cardiac arrhythmias, plumbing issues, etc.). Being totally disabled and home-bound, I have no need to access my LAN (or HA system) from a smartphone or similar device but am, never-the-less, aware that there are similar security issues for those who do.

The National Institute of Standards http://itl.nist.gov/lab/bulletns/bltnmar03.htm says...
Wireless networks and handheld devices are vulnerable to many of the same threats as conventional wired networks. Intruders who gain access to information systems via wireless communications can bypass firewall protection. Once they have accessed systems, intruders can launch denial of service attacks, steal identities, violate the privacy of legitimate users, insert viruses or malicious code, and disable operations. Sensitive information that is transmitted between two wireless devices can be intercepted and disclosed if not protected by strong encryption. Handheld devices, which are easily stolen, can reveal sensitive information.

Here's a link to 10 Tips for Wireless Home Network Security listing wireless security best practices...
I practice most, if not all, of those even though aware that all wireless LANs are easily penetrated by MAC and/or AP spoofing. Once the network is accessed, everything on it is vulnerable.

There is a great deal of additional info in the multitude of links at...

Bluetooth is probably even more vulnerable but its short range provides some inherent security. EDIT: Bluetooth and Zigbee have vulnerabilities and both can have range of 300 feet.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2014, 08:51:48 AM by dhouston »

HA Dave

« Reply #13 on: January 19, 2014, 07:21:59 PM »

Technophobic? I got my FCC license in 1962.........................................................

And..... then ONCE AGAIN... you post useless old links trying to scare others away from enjoying home automation. WHY? Is it you think the YOU'RE smart enough to use the Internet.... it's just EVERYONE ELSE that is too stupid to be on-line? What's the deal? What are you trying to accomplish?

Do you KNOW any HA person that has been harmed in some way by using HA software or products? Share with us what they did wrong and how such a problem could have been avoided. I have read THOUSANDS of HA posts over several years.... and not even once read a report of a HA related hack.

And BTW... Technophobic doesn't mean inept.... it means fearful.

P.S. Sorry about your health... I had hoped you had turned around a bit health-wise. Don't read my posts as an attack on you or your many accomplishments with HA over the past many years. I just think a secure home set-up is well within the average person's ability. besides... It's ten times faster and easier to just kick down a door.... than hack through a router.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2014, 07:34:18 PM by HA Dave »

dhouston

• Advanced Member
    • davehouston.org
« Reply #14 on: January 19, 2014, 08:28:11 PM »

[/b][/i][/u]And BTW... Technophobic doesn't mean inept.... it means fearful.

... I just think a secure home set-up is well within the average person's ability. besides... It's ten times faster and easier to just kick down a door.... than hack through a router.

A secure home WiFi setup is beyond even the technically adept. It's very similar to the way burglars leveraged garage door openers before rolling codes became de rigueur. Listen with an RF receiver, duplicate the RF signal to pretend to be an approved member of the network, then do as you please.

Kicking down a door doesn't allow one to use your home LAN to launch anonymous attacks on internet connected facilities physically located far, far away - all while leaving the homeowner clueless.

Pages: [1] 2

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.