Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: bad magnetic switch?  (Read 4367 times)

cscjjd

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
bad magnetic switch?
« on: December 18, 2013, 04:38:52 PM »

So I've had my SC1200 installed for 2+ years.  Recently I have begun to get alarm activation from one particular window sensor (DS10A) for no apparent reason.
Here's what I've tried...
1.  new batteries
2.  uninstall/reinstall of the DS10A
3.  installing an unused DS10A hooked up to the existing magnetic switch

I first assumed the fault lay with the DS10A however, the second DS10A does the same thing. 

Is it possible that the problem lies in the magnetic switch?  (I don't have any extra magnetic switches to try).

The errant alarm signal occurs every couple of days; there are no nearby houses; two other DS10A's which are located in a window on the same side of the house, at the same height, 12 feet away, have not given any problems.  This problem arose after 2+ years of operation.

Thank you.

Tuicemen

• Administrator
  • Helpful Post Rating: 282
  • I don't work for X10, I use it successfuly!
Re: bad magnetic switch?
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2013, 05:42:44 PM »

Is it possible that the problem lies in the magnetic switch?  (I don't have any extra magnetic switches to try).
if the magnetic switches aren't close enough to each other or not secure it is possible
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2013, 06:50:19 PM »

..... Is it possible that the problem lies in the magnetic switch?  (I don't have any extra magnetic switches to try).

Yes. And that is likely the cause.

It is also possible there is something causing RF interference. Like a metal object between the DS10A and the SC1200. Or maybe some sort of device that emits an RF signal... like a CFL (compact fluorescent light) gone bad.
Home Automation is an always changing technology

cscjjd

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2013, 08:20:32 PM »

Thanks Dave, I was not sure if a switch could go bad over time as it seems it would have very few internal parts (and the window itself is almost never used).

Anybody know where to pick up switches at a reasonable price? (every place I've found has shipping and handling charges that are deal killers).

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2013, 06:07:09 AM »

Magnetic reed switches can wear out. Just like any other mechanical switch. Their contacts can get flaky.
Though I would also look at its mounting and how close the gap is between the switch and the magnet.
I ended up using Wide Gap Switches in my SC1200 installation. Due to mounting issues.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2013, 06:09:30 AM by Brian H »

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.