Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 34

Author Topic: New x10 Wi-Fi unit  (Read 165539 times)

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
Re: New x10 Wi-Fi unit
« Reply #60 on: September 20, 2014, 06:20:04 PM »

After you pick English.
There is a link to the English version of the manual.
The web site Haibrain has bought out Marmitek

Tuicemen

• Administrator
  • Helpful Post Rating: 282
  • I don't work for X10, I use it successfuly!
« Reply #61 on: September 21, 2014, 02:53:07 PM »

I've just received an email from the owner about this baby.
He has a unit and the mechanics are fine the issue is the software I'm told. B:(
They are still working on this software as it didn't live up to his expectations.
Something about not being as user friendly as they'd like.
The manufacture may need to get another developer for the software. That will be 3 different ones B:(
The owner has expressed his frustration with this and understands everyone else's frustration too.
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

toasterking

• Helpful Post Rating: 11
  • We adore chaos because we love to produce order.
« Reply #62 on: September 21, 2014, 02:55:12 PM »

Trouble is it only converts WiFi app commands to X10 wireless (433mHz for Europe system).

It looks like you could possibly combine it with a WGL V572AE (http://www.wgldesigns.com/v572.html - "International Model") if you connect the V572AE to a 110V AC power adapter and a TW523 or XTB523 (US version powerline interface) instead of the suggested XM10 (Europe version powerline interface).  Though it may not be officially supported, this should give you a bridge from 433MHz RF to 110V PLC.  It also says that the V572AE is designed for 3-phase systems, but I would think that the extra transmission bursts required for 3-phase would be solely handled by the XM10 and thus wouldn't be a concern.  I would confirm all of this with WGL first.

If you really want the Marmitek device to work in the US, this may be a solution, though you'd be adding a bit of cost and complexity.  I think I'd rather wait for the Authinx device, assuming it's still coming.

Edit: Mistyped a model number.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2014, 03:40:55 PM by toasterking »

toasterking

• Helpful Post Rating: 11
  • We adore chaos because we love to produce order.
« Reply #63 on: September 21, 2014, 02:58:53 PM »

Thanks for the update, Tuicemen!  Let's hope that these are just growing pains and that once Authinx gets this sorted out, they will know exactly what their developer requirements should be in the future and this won't be a stumbling block again.  I, like many here, don't mind waiting for a product that will be of superior quality and utility, but I'd hate to see the X10 name slip even further behind in the market because of delays like this.   :-\

dhouston

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 37
    • davehouston.org
« Reply #64 on: September 21, 2014, 03:36:45 PM »

Trouble is it only converts WiFi app commands to X10 wireless (433mHz for Europe system).
It's hard to tell from the webpage or limited manual but it appears to use an external power supply with the unit itself running on 5VDC or 12VDC. If so, it might be simple to convert for 120V. I suspect the RF frequency can be changed with either a different transmitter module, crystal or SAW resonator. It would be nice to have a schematic. If reasonably priced, it might be worth ordering one to see whether it can be adapted.

The old Marmitek (now Haibrain) webpage has more complete specs. As I surmised, the voltage is no problem. I think it might be worth a flyer.
I'll investigate as it would make a transition from X10 to WeMo much simpler. If nothing else, it would be simple to convert a TM751 or even CM15A to receive 433.92MHz.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2014, 06:18:06 PM by dhouston »
This message was composed entirely from recycled letters of the alphabet using only renewable, caffeinated energy sources.
No twees, wabbits, chimps or whales died in the process.
https://www.laser.com/dhouston

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
« Reply #65 on: September 21, 2014, 09:42:59 PM »

I've just received an email from the owner about this baby.
He has a unit and the mechanics are fine the issue is the software I'm told. B:(
They are still working on this software as it didn't live up to his expectations.
Something about not being as user friendly as they'd like.
The manufacture may need to get another developer for the software. That will be 3 different ones B:(
The owner has expressed his frustration with this and understands everyone else's frustration too.

User friendly is a must! I hope they stick with it. Bill's (of BVC) was one of the few software products I found to really be really intuitive.

Hopefully they will be smart enough to realize the real value in the product is in it's flexibility. And they will leave the OS open enough that others can also create software to make the device even more desirable. 
« Last Edit: September 21, 2014, 09:46:00 PM by HA Dave »
Home Automation is an always changing technology

dhouston

• Advanced Member
    • davehouston.org
« Reply #66 on: September 22, 2014, 05:11:53 AM »

The Haibrain TIP10RF is US$85 plus shipping.

I'll try to get a schematic before deciding to order one. If the conversion to 120VAC & 310MHz is simple, that cost is not too unreasonable but becomes prohibitive if the conversion adds much cost.

What do prospective users think a fair price for a network to X10RF bridge with iOS/Android apps?
This message was composed entirely from recycled letters of the alphabet using only renewable, caffeinated energy sources.

Tuicemen

• Administrator
  • Helpful Post Rating: 282
  • I don't work for X10, I use it successfuly!
« Reply #67 on: September 22, 2014, 07:46:56 AM »

Hopefully they will be smart enough to realize the real value in the product is in it's flexibility. And they will leave the OS open enough that others can also create software to make the device even more desirable. 

Although I haven't seen screen shots for the software  from the email it sounds like it is the options that is causing the issue .
Kind a like the Smart macros for AHP (else, if conditions) some still have a problem figuring them out.

I asked about the software development so others could develop for it.
The manufacture isn't ready to share that info right now.
However since this is a Wi-Fi device commands sent to it will be able to be seen using other software.
Even if the manufacture holds back on the code someone could hack it easy enough and I don't expect it to be long before other software is available.
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

dhouston

• Advanced Member
    • davehouston.org
« Reply #68 on: September 22, 2014, 09:20:12 AM »

The Haibrain (nee Marmitek) TIP10RF specifications and user manual link is here...
I have asked for a schematic and internal pix and have also requested details on how to order/pay.

It may be some time before I can follow up on this. I see a neurosurgeon next week and expect I'll be undergoing some rather radical surgery (540° cervical fusion) and may have a lengthy (or not) recovery. If someone else wants to explore this, I have 150-200 small, 4-pin, SAW controlled 310MHz transmitter modules like the TWS-DS-2 shown here...

OK. So far, no schematic but I am getting a TIP10RF on order.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2014, 11:54:17 AM by dhouston »

dhouston

• Advanced Member
    • davehouston.org
« Reply #69 on: September 28, 2014, 07:19:34 AM »

While looking for a European dealer who will ship the TIP10RF to the USA, I discovered another interesting product.
It is battery powered so the only issue would be converting it to 310MHz.

dhouston

• Advanced Member
    • davehouston.org
« Reply #70 on: September 29, 2014, 08:41:07 AM »

I have a TIP10RF on order. I don't know how long it will take as it wasn't clear how it would ship. It's coming from the UK.

Once I have it I will evaluate how difficult it will be for a DIY conversion to 310MHz. If it seems simple enough I'll publish plans/photos for the conversion.

HA Dave

« Reply #71 on: September 29, 2014, 09:37:42 AM »

I have a TIP10RF on order. I don't know how long it will take as it wasn't clear how it would ship. It's coming from the UK.
Once I have it I will evaluate how difficult it will be for a DIY conversion to 310MHz. If it seems simple enough I'll publish plans/photos for the conversion.

Very cool. That unit appears to be an efficient way of doing what I am doing now using (my Rube Goldberg device) a smart phone, a small server laptop running XP, and a CM19A. 

Having a unit like that would be well worth your efforts. 

dhouston

• Advanced Member
    • davehouston.org
« Reply #72 on: September 29, 2014, 11:18:26 AM »

Very cool. That unit appears to be an efficient way of doing what I am doing now using (my Rube Goldberg device) a smart phone, a small server laptop running XP, and a CM19A.  
Having a unit like that would be well worth your efforts.  
I suspect it has an IEC universal type jack for the power supply which is rated for 100-250VAC. If so a $5 (or less) IEC Class II C7 power cable will adapt it for 120VAC power. Then it's just a matter of finding the easiest way to convert it to 310MHz.

There are Android, iOS & Windows 8 apps that can talk to Belkin's WeMo. And, there are Android & iOS apps for the TIP10RF. I would like to find APIs for both so I can create integrated apps that speak WeMo & TIP10RF.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2014, 11:25:33 AM by dhouston »

HA Dave

« Reply #73 on: September 29, 2014, 07:58:37 PM »

There are Android, iOS & Windows 8 apps that can talk to Belkin's WeMo. And, there are Android & iOS apps for the TIP10RF. I would like to find APIs for both so I can create integrated apps that speak WeMo & TIP10RF.

That would be nice!

dhouston

• Advanced Member
    • davehouston.org
« Reply #74 on: October 02, 2014, 04:07:34 PM »

I wouldn't consider your setup to be Rube Goldbergish - it's rather clever given what's available.

For those comfortable with (or willing to learn) Linux, replacing your laptop with a Raspberry Pi, running something like HomeGenie would be an inexpensive but flexible and power-sipping but powerful alternative. I believe bkenobi is already doing something along these lines. 

The Raspberry Pi folk are porting Android 4.0 to the Pi. When that's released I will hook up a WiFi-enabled Pi to my Vizio Smart TV via HDMI and control it with a wireless USB KB. I expect it to be far more powerful than the Android mini-PC I tried out earlier.
Given the popularity of the Pi I think it probable that we will see a lot of HA related projects and products providing apps for it. I think it's the near-perfect platform for this.

I should note here that the Pi is vulnerable to the Shellshock security hole so it would be prudent to wait for a patch before embarking on a Pi project.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2014, 05:33:50 PM by dhouston »
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 34

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.