Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 34

Author Topic: New x10 Wi-Fi unit  (Read 165497 times)

BaBaLou.

• Helpful Post Rating: 16
Re: New x10 Wi-Fi unit
« Reply #135 on: July 01, 2015, 06:14:44 AM »

Finally some good news, :)% more than ready to help get this thing off the ground.
  Have been waiting soooo long for the next step in this chapter.
    Holding on with only threads of decent functionality.

Thanks very much for the update. Have been checking daily for something. And now something, I hope :'.

dave w

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 139
« Reply #136 on: July 01, 2015, 04:49:39 PM »

The great sucking sound you hear is me inhaling to hold my breath. I'm so excited I'm vibrating.   :)%
"This aftershave makes me look fat"

builtospill

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
« Reply #137 on: July 04, 2015, 01:52:53 PM »

You think this new wi-fi module is going to work with security sensors/remotes?  Only want it so I can be notified on my iPhone when a zone gets tripped, aka window/door sensor, motion sensor etc

Tuicemen

• Administrator
  • Helpful Post Rating: 282
  • I don't work for X10, I use it successfuly!
« Reply #138 on: July 04, 2015, 08:14:05 PM »

You think this new wi-fi module is going to work with security sensors/remotes?  Only want it so I can be notified on my iPhone when a zone gets tripped, aka window/door sensor, motion sensor etc
Word is the Authinx (x10) module is currently only PCL so, NO it won't work with the security sensors or remotes.
They are hoping to add RF ability in a future model and that should work with the security sensors and remotes.
However given the length this unit is taking to come to market I wouldn't count on it being created any time soon. :(
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

toasterking

• Helpful Post Rating: 11
  • We adore chaos because we love to produce order.
« Reply #139 on: July 05, 2015, 12:51:33 PM »

There may be a workaround, but it requires a PC. I have never tried this and have no security modules with which to test, so I am not positive that this is doable, but it may be worth some investigation. ActiveHome Pro with the OnAlert plugin should be able to process security messages. If you can use that to trigger a macro based on security events, the macro could turn on a dummy module (one that does not physically exist) via PLC and the new X10 WiFi unit should be able to see the state change.

The ActiveHome Scripting SDK also can receive the X10 RF security messages, so if you write your own program using the SDK, this and more becomes possible even without AHP support! However, both of these workarounds depend on you having a PC running 24/7 that has both an RF and a power line interface (i.e. CM15A or both a CM11A/XTB-232 and CM19A).‎

You could also write a standalone program that uses the ActiveHome Scripting SDK and either a CM15A or CM19A to receive the X10 RF and just sends you an email when a specific X10 RF security message is received. You could receive the email with your iPhone and this would not require the new X10 WiFi unit at all.

builtospill

« Reply #140 on: July 05, 2015, 02:02:58 PM »

Yeah, but at that point Active home with On Alert plug in would be on an internet connected PC that could relay an email to a text message.  Was just hoping they would make something that eliminates the use of the PC.  Might consider getting one of those little single board x86 computers that are size of a router and running Active home on that to monitor motion and door sensors.

Tuicemen

• Administrator
« Reply #141 on: July 06, 2015, 06:51:10 AM »

Might consider getting one of those little single board x86 computers that are size of a router and running Active home on that to monitor motion and door sensors.
That is a possibility, I currently run AHP on a HP Thin client at my off grid place and can control things remotely over the net.
But I have controlled my set up from an Android mini TV stick using HomeGenie.
 >!
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

builtospill

« Reply #142 on: July 08, 2015, 07:58:59 PM »

What is this HomeGenie and Android stick you speak of?  Is this better than AHP running on a PC? And will it work with X10 security sensors?
I am assuming HomeGenie software runs on android TV stick, and it interfaces with a CM15A?
« Last Edit: July 08, 2015, 08:05:09 PM by builtospill »

bkenobi

• PI Expert
  • Helpful Post Rating: 24
« Reply #143 on: July 08, 2015, 08:40:23 PM »

HomeGenie is an automation program that worls on pretty much any system that runs .NET.  So, the list includes Windows, Android, Linux (PC, Mac, RPi, etc), and others most likely.  I have run it on a win7 and winxp for testing and have it running on my RPi for the actual installation.  HG is one of the few I found that will work with the CM15A (not the built-in macros though).  It's very expandable if you know any coding (C#, Python, etc) but can be coded with a simple wizard language much like AHP macros if desired.

I wanted something better than AHP with a small form factor that would work with my current HA and allow expansion to other systems on a remote enabled platform.  Check it out if those things interest you.

www.homegenie.it

Tuicemen

• Administrator
« Reply #144 on: July 09, 2015, 09:05:12 AM »

Here is a write up which explains the Android mini PC stick and 6 best uses for one.
http://blog.laptopmag.com/android-mini-pc
 >!
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

builtospill

« Reply #145 on: July 27, 2015, 01:37:59 PM »

Yeah, unfortunately I do not have any coding experience.  I am just looking for something plug and play with simple software configuration- that behaves just like Active Home Pro On Alert, minus running a computer 24/7. I just want something that can notify me at least via text message on when a zone is triggered and also have power sirens/lights go on. Don't want to pay monthly fee for something like Simplisafe when I already have tons of x10 gadgets laying around.

Tuicemen

• Administrator
« Reply #146 on: July 28, 2015, 07:29:34 AM »

Unfortunately such a device isn't available for the North American market.
The simplest thing right now world be a mini PC running AHP or Homegenie.
There are several Mini PC manufactures  around now so prices have come way down.
You can even find them on EBay.

I picked up a HP Thinclient which runs at my off grid place running Windows 10 and all my HA software.
I have it behind my LED TV which is used as its monitor when I need to configure something.
I was hoping for the new WI-fi module to be able to replace this but since it doesn't look like the initial release will have RF capability that won't happen.
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

Tuicemen

• Administrator
« Reply #147 on: July 28, 2015, 12:44:13 PM »

Authinx module Update:
I just got finished a Skype  chat with Authinx's owner and a designer about this module.

Just when they think they have good communication with the manufacturer they get thrown a curve.
One hold up with releasing these to the market is Authinx's quality standard and convincing the China manufacture that Better doesn't mean cheaper. B:(
With this miss understanding finally resolved ( hopefully)  :', they are now thinking about a second version of this module.
The first version will plug into an outlet and communicate to your router via Wi-Fi the second version will plug into ones router directly, this will benefit those that don't have Wi-Fi and provide better connections for those that have Wi-Fi issues.

Second hold up has been with the software developers.
Minor improvement they are told, are a total software rewrite ??? ::)
Rewrites take weeks if not longer B:( a minor improvement should only take a few minutes to hours.
The Android software is ready though I've yet to see it.
Hope it doesn't need a "Rewrite"  rofl
Authinx plans to make the source code available so others can create programs/apps for it. This too is proving to be a issue however I don't feel it will be a big issue as tools are available to sniff out Wi-Fi activity.

I'm hoping to get one of these first version test units to give a test run shortly. (Currently I'm told there are only two of these) I'm getting the owners module so I'm feeling real lucky. ;)
I'm told there may be still some tweaking to be done on the software but baring that a IOs version should be ready in a few months (at the latest)
Authinx is please with the look of the unit and it works fine in their testing's.
I'll provide a picture once I have the unit.
Real world performance may reveal some needed improvements but hopefully it will be just a software improvement.
There always seems to be a software bug that someone finds. rofl

Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

Dan1

• Helpful Post Rating: 2
« Reply #148 on: July 30, 2015, 01:17:40 PM »

I'm a x-10 'consumer' user, not at the technical level of a lot of the people on this board. Still using a few X-10 lamp, switch and appliance modules from different manufacturers like Magnavox and Radio Shack. I hope that we really will see a wi-fi module soon. My simple need is just to be able to control a few lamps via wi-fi.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2015, 08:34:48 PM by Dan1 »

Tuicemen

• Administrator
« Reply #149 on: July 30, 2015, 04:30:21 PM »

Welcome aboard Dan1,
The owner is very anxious to get this to market as doing so has taken far longer then he imagined.
He is concerned that many may like you, have doubts that this really exists.
I'm assured this animal does in fact exists and I should have one shortly.
I hope by next week but it is coming snail mail. :(
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 34

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.