Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 34

Author Topic: New x10 Wi-Fi unit  (Read 165522 times)

Tuicemen

• Administrator
  • Helpful Post Rating: 282
  • I don't work for X10, I use it successfuly!
Re: New x10 Wi-Fi unit
« Reply #225 on: April 19, 2016, 09:34:14 AM »

Sorry to hear your arms are getting so tired Brian. :'( Hopefully you'll soon be able to give them a rest

I heard back from the Authinx owner late Friday night seems he was just getting back from China from a meeting with the  engineers.
Not much info was forwarded to me other then the new TI Chip performs much better then the old chip.
He stated he would follow up with more details today or tomorrow.
Hopefully several units were flown back with him for an initial release. Keep your fingers crossed!
 >!

« Last Edit: April 19, 2016, 10:29:54 AM by Tuicemen »
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
« Reply #226 on: April 19, 2016, 10:59:13 PM »

I guess that the experience has been so exhausting, that I haven't been able to get on this forum very much!  It's actually the lamp next to the couch that gets me. Instead of using my smartphone or tablet or even my voice, (now get this) I have to EXTEND my arm aprox. 15 degrees IN THE AIR AT AN ELEVATION! and reach over about a foot to turn on the table lamp!!! I don't know how I will ever survive.

-Brian AKA the Knightrider

And we once thought sore fingers from button pushing was a lot to bare. If this automation-outage continues... I could mail you my "clapper". It works great for those single event situations like a couch lamp. Of course... if the lamp has a pull chain... who needs a clapper.
Home Automation is an always changing technology

Knightrider

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 62
  • I love my WM100!
    • This Automated House
« Reply #227 on: April 19, 2016, 11:19:21 PM »

Remote control is cool,

but automation rules!

Tuicemen

• Administrator
« Reply #228 on: April 20, 2016, 02:54:57 PM »

It looks like at least one or two more weeks before these are offered. B:(
The hardware is finished I'm told, however the issue remains to be a software issue.
The Issue is due to synchronization when another device connects.
The old design simply wouldn't allow a second connection this new chip allows that.
They can get multi connections but  synching multiple units without creating collision and long delays is a problem which they hope to have weeded out by next week.
It sounds like they are again using a new software developer.
The owner has stated he still intends to fly in a small shipment prior to the sales event.
I suspect these will be the discounted units planed for forum users.
 >!
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

nyc2

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
« Reply #229 on: April 22, 2016, 10:36:13 AM »

Can we see a photo of the new unit?

Tuicemen

• Administrator
« Reply #230 on: April 22, 2016, 02:07:50 PM »

I don't have access to a unit yet and from the sounds of it neither does Authinx as they were working 20 days while in China last week.
However I'll see if the owner has something.
From what I was told prior, it will look similar to the prototype unit I posted pictures of less an antenna.
 >!
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

Tuicemen

• Administrator
« Reply #231 on: April 22, 2016, 02:57:28 PM »

Update:
The owner doesn't have a photo however he did confirm that the form factor was that of the PAT01 less the code wheel and antenna.
With that in mind it should look similar to this:
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

BaBaLou.

• Helpful Post Rating: 16
« Reply #232 on: April 26, 2016, 08:29:54 PM »

Well it seems I am getting to that crossroad in my Automation heaven and the signs of frustration is starting to wear thin.
The X10 world that surrounds me at home and work is still functioning but with duck tape and bandages. Most hardware is working well with a combination of X10 and Insteon and the CM15a is still alive showing its age and besides I need something new. :)%.  
The software is a combination of iHouse and BlueIris to keep things alive. But at best all will function for a few days and then adjustments and resets  B:(. So my hunger for the new stuff is becoming somewhat desperate, so I make myself to believe  ;D, and so the new Wi-Fi unit has to start to fill the void. Have began the task of looking at other forms of automation with hope of compatibility with my present stuff and hoping its just short of a full overhaul of automation of which I am presently short a penny or two for that.
So a few question and review of what we have coming soon so far.
 First to confirm that this unit will function from a smartphone and maybe Tablet ? but no software for the pc. Can it be then accessed through a web browser so to control it from a remote location or the app can do that also?
The unit has RF or not, does it matter much any more thou?
Didn't see mention about macros but only timers and scenes, does that mean at the end of the day we live our live like we did with AHP in the older days, but no computer? Does the unit then hold the memory without the need of a computer running 24/7 for those security function and modules?
Can the unit send out any form of messages or connect to email or send some form of remote signal to the app?
Any antenna on this unit, or do I get a new hack ready for that part? -:)
So many more questions to ask and stuff to pock at. But soon we hope to be able to take the next step in X10 favor.
And just to make it clear, I am ready and able to handle anything new, please. No really PLEASE.....
BaBaLou. >!  

joe s.

• Helpful Post Rating: 4
« Reply #233 on: April 27, 2016, 12:13:12 PM »

Here's my story.  I too struggled with X10 reliability - so I opened my wallet over a year ago and made my current X10 setup (timers/macros, wireless, web & mobile device access) work solidly and properly (and for the long term) by purchasing high quality control equipment and software.

This is what it took for me to make everything solid and reliable:

XTB-IIR repeater (with TW523 port)
V572 RF Whole House Transceiver (connects to TW523 port on repeater)
XTB-232 RS232 Powerline Interface (connected to computer)
HCA 12 plus software (running in computer - now v13 is released) - which means I can use Web and/or WiFi Android or IOS, and of course limitless complex macros.

Everything works all the time / every time.

By using the HCA Software package, I also have the option of buying, controlling and blending new and old hardware such as:

X10
Insteon
UPB
Z-Wave
NEST or Insteon Thermostats
Elk
Marrick
Lightolier
Davis Weather Station
Amazon Alexa voice control

I haven't even added new hardware yet (some of my old hardware that I thought was broken even works) - but knowing that I can upgrade at any time is reassuring.

Tuicemen

• Administrator
« Reply #234 on: April 27, 2016, 06:43:50 PM »

BaBaLou,
Not having seen the new unit or the revised software yet I can't be 100% correct on some things here.

1: Unit has no external antenna 100% sure of that as Owner confirmed that. internal one only
2: Unit has no Ethernet Cable option 100% sure of that as Owner confirmed that
3: Unit apparently has loads of memory ( more then the Cm15 ) I'm told.
4: Unit does have timers(scenes) 100% sure of that. I'm not sure if macros will be in this software but the unit has the memory for them if/when added
5: Unit will work with Android and Apple smartphones and tablets 100% sure of that.
6: Unit will work with a PC running an Android simulator 100% sure of that. I suspect someone will root out the protocol to make accessed through a web browser possible prior to Authinx releasing the Protocol.
7: Unit is Wi-Fi to PLC unsure if it will see PLC
8: I don't know if RF was added to this version (originaly it wasn't in the plan however I expressed the need)
9: I suspect this can send out a email as the chip is capable of that
10: the new chip makes it possible to have multiple connections like the  UPB gateway ( not sure if the issues have been worked out with the software for this yet)
11: the new chip allows for many more upgrades I requested from playing with the prototype  which the old chip didn't (exactly what or if they are all implemented with the new software update, I don't know)
12:This can be used in conjunction with the CM15 ( at lease the prototype could), this of course depends on how each was setup as to if conflicts occur

I am 100% sure that end users will discover possibilities of this unit which X10(Authinx) never envisioned! ;)
 >!

Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

BaBaLou.

« Reply #235 on: April 30, 2016, 05:29:28 PM »

Thanks joe s..
             I Have looked at HCA as an option and glad to see success on your end giving me the ammunition to head in that direction if needed but gotta admit that waiting for the New X10
                          direction is making me slowly turn to a new direction. Just a little bit longer. I hope. :-\.

Thanks Tuicemen
   I guess there is some hope to this never ending waiting for this NEW WiFi unit to be in our hands soon. But it also sounds like we will still have a hill to climb once it is out as new discoveries and abilities of the chip as well as errors we find and contend with  B:(.  I hope that does not come back to bite us. So the sooner the better.

So as stated before I am still waiting, and somewhat still patiently for now in hope of the soon release.
BaBaLou.

dhouston

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 37
    • davehouston.org
« Reply #236 on: April 30, 2016, 06:13:16 PM »

I heard back from the Authinx owner late Friday night seems he was just getting back from China from a meeting with the  engineers.
Not much info was forwarded to me other then the new TI Chip performs much better then the old chip.

Do you know which TI chip they are using? My guess is either the CC3100 or CC3200 which cost 10-15x what the ESP8266 costs while having far less capability.
http://www.digikey.com/en/product-highlight/t/texas-instruments/cc3100-and-cc3200-simplelink-wi-fi-and-iot-solution
This message was composed entirely from recycled letters of the alphabet using only renewable, caffeinated energy sources.
No twees, wabbits, chimps or whales died in the process.
https://www.laser.com/dhouston

bkenobi

• PI Expert
  • Helpful Post Rating: 24
« Reply #237 on: April 30, 2016, 06:34:44 PM »

If you decide to look at another option, check out HomeGenie. I currently run X10 via CM15A with HG running on a RPi. It's not a professional product so it has bus pop up from time to time but has been very stable overall for quite some time. If I want to update systems, it can handle ZWAVE and a few others.

BaBaLou.

« Reply #238 on: April 30, 2016, 08:58:31 PM »

Thanks guys. no worry I am very aware of all other types of systems and software out there and have had feedback on some in the past. This Forum has covered many other option in the past and have looked at them very closely.
IMO the MCA software is a much better option for me if I chose to head in a new direction. I have looked at HomeGenie in the past and did play a bit with it but had issues of install and connections.
For now its a wait and see what X10 has for us. Soon.  :'

Dan1

• Helpful Post Rating: 2
« Reply #239 on: May 01, 2016, 11:38:56 AM »

First to confirm that this unit will function from a smartphone and maybe Tablet ? but no software for the pc. Can it be then accessed through a web browser so to control it from a remote location or the app can do that also?

It's buried earlier in this thread but a decent android emulator is Bluestacks, available for free at http://www.bluestacks.com/. I used it on my old Windows 7 machine but have not yet downloaded/installed it on the Windows 10 machine I'm using now. It's a little slow but it does work.
(P.S. Windows 10 sucks.)
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 34

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.