Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23 ... 34

Author Topic: New x10 Wi-Fi unit  (Read 165626 times)

dhouston

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 37
    • davehouston.org
Re: New x10 Wi-Fi unit
« Reply #300 on: October 17, 2016, 12:06:18 PM »

If this....
https://www.ray.co/
can talk to the ESP8285 used in this via WiFi...
https://www.itead.cc/psf-b85.html
and talk to this via Bluetooth...
http://www.blumoo.com/
in addition to all the IR controlled TVs and other AV gear, it would go a long way towards being a truly universal (and totally awesome) controller.

Ray has a partners program for developers but I fear I'm too worn out (or worn down) to explore it.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2016, 12:10:04 PM by dhouston »
This message was composed entirely from recycled letters of the alphabet using only renewable, caffeinated energy sources.
No twees, wabbits, chimps or whales died in the process.
https://www.laser.com/dhouston

IPS

• Helpful Post Rating: 3
« Reply #301 on: October 26, 2016, 07:32:02 AM »

For the last few months my AHP system, after years, has started becoming less reliable. May be because I have replaced most bulbs with LED ones. So I too am seriously considering adding other home automation system. I have read about HomeKit and would like to try it out.
Would appreciate if you guys can give some input on the modules etc.

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
« Reply #302 on: November 08, 2016, 09:39:23 PM »

......... I have read about HomeKit and would like to try it out.
Would appreciate if you guys can give some input on the modules etc.

The very day Apple updated to OS 10 (with ihome/homeKit) I ordered a couple modules. I love the iPhone apps and the way I can use "hey Siri commands" to turn lights on/off (from anywhere).

I plan on continuing using X10 (I have a large X10 setup)... and may even expand my X10. But I see nothing wrong with adding other automation flavors.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2016, 10:17:26 AM by HA Dave »
Home Automation is an always changing technology

Knightrider

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 62
  • I love my WM100!
    • This Automated House
« Reply #303 on: December 03, 2016, 08:49:10 AM »

Any news? The End Of The Year Fast Approaches.
Remote control is cool,

but automation rules!

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
« Reply #304 on: December 03, 2016, 08:58:43 AM »

Over in the JVDE Forums.
Tuicemen indicated the progress is not going the way they wanted it to go.
No estimates as each date seems to be missed.
Probably not this year and looks like Chinese New Year is again getting close.  B:(

Bottom of second page.
http://jvde.us/forum/index.php?topic=329.0
« Last Edit: December 03, 2016, 12:38:51 PM by Brian H »

HA Dave

« Reply #305 on: December 03, 2016, 10:22:51 AM »

For God's sake... with all the new flavors of HA hubs on the market why doesn't the new vendors of X10 just make a deal with one of those venders. Get Samsung (or someone) to add the X10 (RF) protocol to their HUB/unit.... with a guarantee purchase of bulk batch of units!

« Last Edit: December 03, 2016, 10:24:46 AM by HA Dave »

Tuicemen

• Administrator
  • Helpful Post Rating: 282
  • I don't work for X10, I use it successfuly!
« Reply #306 on: December 03, 2016, 03:05:20 PM »

I wouldn't advise anyone to hold their breath waiting for this one. :(
I think x10 should tell the manufacture and app developer to stick it.
They probably would have if they hadn't put so much into this already.
The really sad thing is once this comes to market just about everyone will have lost interest and found something else.
X10WTI went belly up using this manufacture I hope that doesn't happen to Authinx ::) :'
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

dhouston

• Advanced Member
    • davehouston.org
« Reply #307 on: December 03, 2016, 04:19:01 PM »

The really sad thing is once this comes to market just about everyone will have lost interest and found something else.
I am working on something else but it's a few months away. See...
https://www.laser.com/dhouston/ultimate-X10.html
« Last Edit: December 04, 2016, 06:14:11 AM by dhouston »
This message was composed entirely from recycled letters of the alphabet using only renewable, caffeinated energy sources.

beelocks

• Helpful Post Rating: 9
« Reply #308 on: December 03, 2016, 06:45:14 PM »

Any news? The End Of The Year Fast Approaches.

End of the Year?
We'll be approaching the next century before this thing surfaces :)
Although my explanations may not be exactly clear, I do hope for slightly less cloudy.

HA Dave

« Reply #309 on: December 04, 2016, 12:18:07 AM »

I've accepted that X10 control is as it stands. I have no longer have a real expectation of any new advanced control system coming out of X10.

But... I'd think someone would program a USB toggle to function like a ZigBee stick... only using X10 RF. Maybe include an app with an annual app fee... that could also provide server (cloud) memory/programing as well as phone/tablet/PC access.

But if my X10 system remains no more than what is now... My X10 is still very useful and stable. And my iPhone enables me to add other flavors of automation (even my garage door).

I hope X10 finds its niche as it once did with the little cameras. I'd like to see X10 prosper. 

dhouston

• Advanced Member
    • davehouston.org
« Reply #310 on: December 04, 2016, 06:48:17 AM »

But... I'd think someone would program a USB toggle to function like a ZigBee stick... only using X10 RF.
Someone already has...
https://www.thehomeautomationstore.com/cm19a.html
but you're probably thinking more along this line...
https://www.intellihome.be/en/x10-marmitek-tip10rf.html
This could be easily manufactured to work with 310mHz transceivers (i.e. TM751, RR501, CM15A) but the crystal that needs changing is far too small for the transformation to be a DIY hack and Authinx apparently has no interest in working with Haibrain. At least, they never responded when I suggested they contact Haibrain, giving them contact information.

HA Dave

« Reply #311 on: December 04, 2016, 11:56:34 AM »

But... I'd think someone would program a USB toggle to function like a ZigBee stick... only using X10 RF.

Someone already has...
https://www.thehomeautomationstore.com/cm19a.html
but you're probably thinking more along this line...
https://www.intellihome.be/en/x10-marmitek-tip10rf.html
This could be easily manufactured to work with 310mHz transceivers (i.e. TM751, RR501, CM15A) but the crystal that needs changing is far too small for the transformation to be a DIY hack and Authinx apparently has no interest in working with Haibrain. At least, they never responded when I suggested they contact Haibrain, giving them contact information.

Yeah... that 2nd link is closer to what I had in mind. I already have a CM19A (as well as a CM15A) in my X10 setup (I use a Melloware app on my iphone and it's server app on a CE laptop with the CM19A to have X10 phone control). But even a BT dongle that could commutate with both the router... and X10...along with my phone could be enough (with or without internal memory). If it could get directions from an external source. USB power sources are everywhere now-a-days.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2016, 12:03:12 PM by HA Dave »

racerfern

• Helpful Post Rating: 6
« Reply #312 on: December 04, 2016, 05:39:36 PM »

I use a Melloware app on my iphone and it's server app on a CE laptop with the CM19A to have X10 phone control

I too use the Melloware app but with just the CM15A. It works fine within the confines of the home Wifi. However, accessing the home X10 system from miles away is a pain. I can manage to use the Chrome Remote Desktop to access AHP but it certainly isn't convenient, in fact a downright pain due to needed to scroll a large screen on a small device.

I'm still looking for a way my X10 system some other way.

Why would you have both a CM15A and a CM19A, for a different PC?

HA Dave

« Reply #313 on: December 04, 2016, 05:54:58 PM »

I'm still looking for a way my X10 system some other way.... Why would you have both a CM15A and a CM19A, for a different PC?

I have a decent sized X10 setup which I have setup so that an old XP laptop can operate the HA along with voice control... and voice alerts, warning announcements etc.. Which I run 24/7... completely off-line. That laptop is connected to the CM15A... plus voice input and speaker output. 

But when down loading the Melloware server exe.... I realized I'd have to at least connect to the "home network" (router). I did... but the laptop slowed noticeability and I later decided to instead run the Melloware server on a old little CE notebook I had come by (used). To simplify things I only installed the CM19A on the little CE notebook.

Not optimal. But they both set on a small wire shelf unit in my man cave and run fine.

I had often thought of installing XP on a more modern and faster laptop with plenty of RAM. Then incorporating everything on the newer laptop. (I also have two full sized backup PC's completely loaded and ready to run the exact setups that are on both units now.) But I also hoped that I could move the entire HA setup to a tablet... or even someday run through my phone.

But X10 folded.... and with them their servers. So I left what was... run as is.

I don't know how many hours of thinking, and searching, and reading I've done.... trying to figure a direction for my Home Automation setup. I think what has bothered me most... isn't the troubles with X10. . I have a lifetime of X10 product on hand and I can always add other brands/flavors of HA devices. But for a while... my setup stopped growing.

But lately... with the newer garage door opener, new streaming options like apple TV and Roku, and apple adding HomeKit... I am hopeful again. I've added a little ihome (two devices)... and I may add other flavors/brands of HomeKit compatible devices as I get new HA ideas/projects. I am thinking... an Amazon echo or dot device is mandatory. 
« Last Edit: December 04, 2016, 06:37:19 PM by HA Dave »

racerfern

• Helpful Post Rating: 6
« Reply #314 on: December 04, 2016, 06:06:39 PM »

I have a decent sized X10 setup which I have attempted to setup so that an old XP laptop can operate the HA along with voice control... and voice alerts, warning announcements. Which I run... completely off-line.

Understood. I have a palm sized HP which runs my security camera software and AHP as its sole purpose. I am on-line so as to send a camera feed to a useless cloud. However, I could just as easily take it offline, but then I couldn't use it from the outside, which is what I really want.

I just got back from visiting my son who setup zwave and he said to me, "I'll be picking up the kids from gymnastics, but when you get to the house, call me and I'll open the garage door to let you in. Because I can." Sigh...

But whether it's Zwave or some other protocol, the switches and controllers are far more expensive than X10 stuff, hence my hesitation to dump X10. XMAS timers, AWAY macros, I've got lots of time into this and really don't want to start again. Away for two days and now want to turn up the t'stat an hour or two before I get home. Not an unreasonable want.

But I digress.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2016, 06:56:43 PM by racerfern »
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23 ... 34

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.