Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 24 25 [26] 27 28 ... 34

Author Topic: New x10 Wi-Fi unit  (Read 165553 times)

dhouston

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 37
    • davehouston.org
Re: New x10 Wi-Fi unit
« Reply #375 on: April 19, 2017, 04:51:07 PM »

This message was composed entirely from recycled letters of the alphabet using only renewable, caffeinated energy sources.
No twees, wabbits, chimps or whales died in the process.
https://www.laser.com/dhouston

racerfern

• Helpful Post Rating: 6
« Reply #376 on: April 19, 2017, 05:41:30 PM »

I'm waiting on this interface.
https://techcrunch.com/2017/04/19/facebook-brain-interface/

I see two strange scenarios:
1) It might be here before the X10 WiFi unit is introduced.
2) Since it's for people with brains, I wonder how much of a demand there will be? Perhaps there will be different skill level sets. Oh the potential.

Tuicemen

• Administrator
  • Helpful Post Rating: 282
  • I don't work for X10, I use it successfuly!
« Reply #377 on: April 19, 2017, 07:13:21 PM »

There will be no need for a server at Authinx

I'm not so sure about this. When I enabled the Homeseer skill the first thing I had to do was log in to the Homeseer server. From there, I believe Alexa checks in occasionally to check for status, new devices, etc.

As I think and type (not a good thing to do I realize) Alexa cannot access my settings and devices on my PC. It has to go to the Homeseer servers. Maybe once it has learned a device, it can bypass the Homeseer server but one thing for sure, it initially goes to the server and it goes occasionally to check for changes.
As I stated I'm unfamiliar with the HomeSeer skill but there should be no need fore a server at HomeSeer if your using a HomeSeer hub you should only need to log into it.

Alex10 uses a Philips hue hub emulator (HA-Bridge) it doesn't use a Philips hue server only Amazons.
Currently I don't need an Authinx server for X10 now so I won't need one with the Wi-Fi Module.
The original proto type I tested didn't use a Authinx server, calls were made direct to it.
I still use it at my cottage I doubt Authinx would keep a server running for just me.
I have WeMo devices and I don't need to log into a Berklin server to use those with Alexa only the skill and Amazons servers.

It should be noted that the manufacture is calling this x10 Wi-Fi unit a hub and not a module.

Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
« Reply #378 on: April 19, 2017, 09:15:33 PM »

..... When I enabled the Homeseer skill the first thing I had to do was log in to the Homeseer server. From there, I believe Alexa checks in occasionally to check for status, new devices, etc.

Yes. Besides the license(s) check-in..... Homeseer has servers with other available software and OF COURSE... the regular updates we've all become accustomed to.

I guess servers.... aren't an absolute necessity. Oh let's get serious.... a tech company without servers? One of the great things about X10 right now... is you can automate a entire home with little more than an old XP dust collector. No smart phones or even an internet connection is needed. That's pretty darn cool!

But for many of us.... attracted to this automation stuff like moths to flame.... we want more. We always want more.

The actual "idea" of what HA is has even changed and evolved. Heck.... I am old enough to remember when putting that 150 watt bulb in the ceiling fixture in the center of the room on a rheostat... was cool enough to show-off to company. And if you had a Zenith space command "clicker" (they actually clicked).... you were living in the Atomic age for sure.

I am in the middle of setting up a CM15A to a HomeSeer HomeTroller.... compliments of the generosity and kindness of racerfern. Thank you racerfern. I just hope I am smart enough to master another system. But I should soon have full remote (and voice) control of the X10 devices I choose. AND... the wink hub along with the HomeSeer interface along with Alexa.... should allow me control of just about any device I might want to add/buy.

I know, for me..... the smart voice-interaction with a Web of information and entertainment media... is essential for my HA setup. I even need it in my car. 

Home Automation is an always changing technology

HA Dave

« Reply #379 on: April 20, 2017, 04:19:46 PM »

I am in the middle of setting up a CM15A to a HomeSeer HomeTroller.... compliments of the generosity and kindness of racerfernThank you racerfern.

I just hope I am smart enough to master another system. But I should soon have full remote (and voice) control of the X10 devices I choose. AND... the wink hub along with the HomeSeer interface along with Alexa.... should allow me control of just about any device I might want to add/buy.

Well (thanks again racerfern.... I now have HomeSeer running with a CM15A. AWESOME! Of course.... it also was/is fully discoverable and functional with my Alexa DOT. So I've selected a few lights (particularly for the all lights ON function) and I think all the first floor lights. Most importantly.... I was able to integrate the "goodnight" macro trigger. It turns a small lamp ON... waits 3 minutes... then turns it off.  Makes it easier to shuffle off to the bedroom without a stubbed toe. All with a simple voice command (or two).

I still have remotes (old fashion palmpads) in the theater. And I plan to keep them too. Movies are too loud/noisy for voice control. But today.... I removed my last X10 remote from the living area.

« Last Edit: April 20, 2017, 04:22:33 PM by HA Dave »

HA Dave

« Reply #380 on: April 20, 2017, 04:30:58 PM »

Oh yeah.... HomeSeer is every bit as user friendly as X10. My experience with X10... the CM11A, the CM15A, along with the various software (including BVC). Mixed with my training and years of experience as a Network admin... really made setting up the Hometroller with a CM15A for X10 a snap.

I called their tech support team... and Taylor walked me through setup in no time.

racerfern

« Reply #381 on: April 20, 2017, 06:21:29 PM »

@HA Dave, I'm glad you're enjoying your new electronic toy. You're the first person I "know" that has a zwave controller and no zwave devices. Who woulda thunk.

I haven't done much with Alexa since I really don't like Alexa. She's not very smart. So I'm saving up for Google Home since Homeseer works with the dedicated version now, hopefully soon it will work with the simpler version.

HA Dave

« Reply #382 on: April 20, 2017, 11:36:08 PM »

....... You're the first person I "know" that has a zwave controller and no zwave devices. Who woulda thunk.

True... no zwave in the house... yet. But with both Homeseer (and it's ability to run X10 via a CM15A) and the WINK Hub.... I can run most flavors and brands of devices. Adding a Samsung Hub... could ensure complete compatibility

Looking (and reading) things over at the Homeseer forums... I am considering still running an old laptop connected to a CM15A and running BVC. I miss my Kate (Kate 16bit voice).

I haven't done much with Alexa since I really don't like Alexa. She's not very smart. So I'm saving up for Google Home since Homeseer works with the dedicated version now, hopefully soon it will work with the simpler version.

Google is a much smarter device! And much more conversational. But Alexa does have more skills. I tend to lean on Siri when I need real information. It's all a grab bag.

I am so happy with how well Alexa is working with (Homeseer) my old X10 stuff and the new stuff too.

The wife suggested an emergency lights command (emergency lights ON) which lights up everything. And now she thing an echo for her would be nice (maybe in-around the kitchen-dining-office area). This is real WAF.

racerfern

« Reply #383 on: April 21, 2017, 08:18:03 AM »

This is real WAF.

And therein lies the most important consideration.

I had two manual dimmer switches in the LR that I changed out for Zwave dimmers. I had them in for about a month and WAF went down because the switches were hard to fine tune to her perfect lighting needs. Agreed. So I put the manual switches back in. It took about two hours for the request to put back the zwave switches because the manual ones had a cheap look and feel. Besides, she had to get up and manually adjust the lights.

What I really wanted to install was http://qubino.com/products/flush-dimmer/ because I can program the ramp rate up and down and minimum/maximum dim levels. But then I can't have a manual dimmer connected to it, just an on/off. I'm still searching for the solution to achieve total WAF.

HA Dave

« Reply #384 on: April 21, 2017, 11:35:30 AM »

Yep.... pleasing the wife is always my number one.... secondary goal  :).

I grew-up with dimmers. Back in the 50's Dad stuck rheostats on most the ceiling lights. I never learned to appreciate light dimming. I have always opted to use things like indirect or back-wash lighting. Then I mix in good task lights.

The new LED low wattage lights have really been good for my lighting preferences. I can wash the walls with a couple of 4 watt LEDs and use one 8 watt LED bulb in a table light by my chair. So the room doesn't feel like a dark cave... I can read/see everything... and no washout of the TV (it still runs in low-power mode).

dave w

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 139
« Reply #385 on: April 22, 2017, 12:23:31 PM »

I see two strange scenarios:
1) It might be here before the X10 WiFi unit is introduced.
rofl
"This aftershave makes me look fat"

Knightrider

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 62
  • I love my WM100!
    • This Automated House
« Reply #386 on: June 03, 2017, 12:42:57 PM »

bump this as i await impatiently.
Remote control is cool,

but automation rules!

HA Dave

« Reply #387 on: June 03, 2017, 10:20:15 PM »

After I installed racerfern's old zwave hometroller....... I spoke with our friend Bill on the phone. As the hometroller is little more than a Raspberry Pi device (with cloud connectivity and software)..... I had some ideas

The bad thing about serious HA users (with YOU being the most serious one I know of)... is the investment in the setup. I've found it emotionally impossible to turn my back on X10. But the Zwave unit allows me to continue to... not just use... but integrate my X10 setup with new components and products.

I've lost NOTHING. And my setup has grown and improved. I am mixing brands, and flavors of HA. And they work fine together. 

Tuicemen

• Administrator
  • Helpful Post Rating: 282
  • I don't work for X10, I use it successfuly!
« Reply #388 on: June 04, 2017, 08:16:32 AM »

There are few of us diehards left still waiting and hoping with fingers and toes crossed. ::) :'
Authinx has been in a battle over quality and performance not just with the module but the software as well :(
I believe the biggest issue being the software developers as they went threw several.
The last I heard was there was a issue with syncing the module status with the app.
In less the developer had two way devices this wasn't possible I stated.
I suggested they implement the same technique AHP use in that it reported the last signal sent and just attempt to poll for two way devices.
This idea was apparently forwarded to the developer and I'm told that helped (thought not sure what that means).

The last I heard as of Friday June 2nd Authinix had just received a new version of the module and was to run the new software over the week.
Usually I'm skeptical of in house testing but thus far it has stopped the x10 junk flow (at least in my opinion of the new devices)
I expect to hear results of the testing by weeks end.

I realize many have started to move away from X10 with newer Wi-Fi enabled devices.
And this is only my thinking, but the new Wi-Fi module( if it materializes) should be able to control these as well.
This will require some additions to the software I suspect but it is doable.
 >!

Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

Knightrider

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 62
  • I love my WM100!
    • This Automated House
« Reply #389 on: June 04, 2017, 08:33:50 AM »

Yeah, I'm looking long and hard at wifi modules. May set up a separate router for device control. Philips Hue is where I'm going for lighting.
It's like my DJ business.  I started out spinning vinyl. Skipped case the and went straight to CD thinking it would be the next 50 year standard. Cheap digital storage trumped that.
I have no desire to jump on zwave or instead or whatever flavor. I'm betting wifi will be the next 30 year standard of HA.
Remote control is cool,

but automation rules!
Pages: 1 ... 24 25 [26] 27 28 ... 34

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.