Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 25 26 [27] 28 29 ... 34

Author Topic: New x10 Wi-Fi unit  (Read 165515 times)

solareclipse

• Helpful Post Rating: 1
Re: New x10 Wi-Fi unit
« Reply #390 on: June 04, 2017, 08:45:43 AM »

I'm up to 8 Hue lights (7 color bulbs and 1 Hue Go as an accent light).  I haven't pulled out any of my X10 stuff yet, but I'm not investing any more in it.  Still waiting to see if this new Wifi module ever sees the light of day, because I'd love to integrate it into my Google Home voice commands.

Tuicemen

• Administrator
  • Helpful Post Rating: 282
  • I don't work for X10, I use it successfuly!
« Reply #391 on: June 04, 2017, 08:59:44 AM »

I've implemented several Wi-Fi modules into my setup thus far.
Some are about as reliable as the old x10 stick a switches (which I never had much success with)
Others like the Sonoff modules from iTead (though their cloud based software was garbage) worked flawless.
I never jumped on the Philps hue band wagon and it is doubtful I ever will.
However I have moved to all LED lighting.
With devices like Amazons (echo, tap, & Dots) and Google home gaining popularity, Wi-Fi control is set to be the go to protocol. Several of the HA protocols have brought out Hubs (mini pcs) to allow this.
For those that haven't yet, luckily there is software that can make this happen ;)
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
« Reply #392 on: June 04, 2017, 12:40:57 PM »

...... Philips Hue is where I'm going for lighting.
..... I'm betting wifi will be the next 30 year standard of HA.

Philips Hue has a hub and works with Alexa! I went with Cree [wifi lights] and added a Link brand hub. I am also using Chamberlain hub/interface and ihome control devices (through the links hub) for Alexa use... and direct control via my iPhone (and Siri). Everything seems very friendly... and willing to work together.

Your more of a gambler than myself. I am amazed all the Wifi remains backwards compatible after all these years. Here in the city... the bandwidth allowed for wifi... seems a bit crowded. Wasn't the idea of going digital with TV supposed to free-up VHF for broadband use?

I don't know what changes will take place in the coming years. The more I've read lately about the make-up of atoms... implies that the nucleus may be made of light.... which has no mass. And how (in heavens name) can we get mass for nothing? Which might mean this entire world of automation (and even this forum).... is merely a expression of our imagination. Which by the way..... could explain my tag line.

I am going to go with the flow. And use whatever I can to accomplish whatever I can dream-up to do. Maybe after all... there really is no spoon [matrix quote].

BTW.... I am not using Zwave. I am merely using their Internet control device and software to make my X10 compatible with cloud control and Alexa.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2017, 12:47:28 PM by HA Dave »
Home Automation is an always changing technology

BackAgain

• Helpful Post Rating: 1
« Reply #393 on: June 05, 2017, 09:14:06 AM »

Jumping in at the end here without really reading much.  I will NOT use any device that requires a centralized hub somewhere on the web.  Ain't a'gonna happen.

I would however be interested in something that uses an in-house hub and can be controlled by a PC, remote or other gadget.  I'm not at all interested in controlling anything while away from home since I very rarely am away from home.  Cost considerations are paramount though.  What I've seen so far is far too expensive for the payback.  I can use a CFL bulb and switch for a very long time as compared to a 'smart' LED bulb.  I have switched to dumb LEDs as I find them on sale for a couple of dollars.  But then there is the issue of compatible timers, photocells and dimmers.

A question I've never been able to get a real answer to .... how susceptible are 'smart' LED units to power surges and lightning strikes?  Blowing out a houseful of $20+ units could get rather expensive.

dhouston

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 37
    • davehouston.org
« Reply #394 on: June 05, 2017, 09:31:36 AM »

A question I've never been able to get a real answer to .... how susceptible are 'smart' LED units to power surges and lightning strikes?  Blowing out a houseful of $20+ units could get rather expensive.

Good question. As my LEDs are dumb, like me, I cannot answer but others here might have relevant experience.
This message was composed entirely from recycled letters of the alphabet using only renewable, caffeinated energy sources.
No twees, wabbits, chimps or whales died in the process.
https://www.laser.com/dhouston

HA Dave

« Reply #395 on: June 05, 2017, 11:58:01 PM »

..... I will NOT use any device that requires a centralized hub somewhere on the web.  Ain't a'gonna happen.

Almost everything.... including access to this forum... requires a centralized hub somewhere on the web.

I would however be interested in something that uses an in-house hub and can be controlled by a PC, remote or other gadget.  I'm not at all interested in controlling anything while away from home

A lot of people have (or feel) a need to control lights using a remote control. The Clapper is one way (I own a clapper myself). There are many simple similar remote controlled devices sold in big box retail stores everywhere. They work great.

Many of the old left-overs here (like myself) prefer smart devices that aid in their own control... to benefit me and my life. The LAST thing I need is another device to control/operate.

I prefer my smart [centralized hub] to know when the garage door is opening after the sun has set.... so it can turn lights ON... so no one has to enter a dark home.

Cost considerations are paramount though.  What I've seen so far is far too expensive for the payback.

For the most part.... Home Automation is a luxury. Any "payback"... would be in convenience and safety in most cases. It might be cheaper (in actual nickels and dimes) to just leave a 5 watt LED burn 24/7.... than to mess with any switching and regulation.

A question I've never been able to get a real answer to .... how susceptible are 'smart' LED units to power surges and lightning strikes? 

Are you kidding? An average bolt of lightning, striking from cloud to ground, contains roughly one billion (1,000,000,000) joules of energy. This is no small amount. One backyard lighting strike.... could take your life, start a fire, or break every electrical device in your home. Or more likely.... only make a big noise.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2017, 07:25:54 PM by HA Dave »

bkenobi

• PI Expert
  • Helpful Post Rating: 24
« Reply #396 on: June 06, 2017, 02:38:51 AM »

I'm not an EE, but I have worked with lightening testing in the past.  A direct attachment would render almost anything broken.  An idirect/induced voltage is likely to break most electronics. If you are worried about it, disconnect it or at least turn it off during a storm.

HA Dave

« Reply #397 on: June 06, 2017, 07:40:29 PM »

..... A direct attachment would render almost anything broken.......... If you are worried about it, disconnect it or at least turn it off during a storm.

Yep. We know the risks and we take our chances. My experiences with smart devices is more than a decade. And I was an early adopter of both the CFL and LEDS. I've only had... ONE smart (Wifi) LED lightbulb (so far)... and been using it since maybe December.

Smart devices, CFL's, and LEDs all seem to last a few, or several years... IMHO and experience.

The only problem with "smart" devices are they are NOT plug-n-play. They require a little setup time. And... I don't stock extra smart (Wifi) bulbs like [I did] incandescent bulbs (in the ole days).

bkenobi

• PI Expert
« Reply #398 on: June 07, 2017, 11:30:34 AM »

The only problem with "smart" devices are they are NOT plug-n-play. They require a little setup time. And... I don't stock extra smart (Wifi) bulbs like [I did] incandescent bulbs (in the ole days).

IMO, there are a few more problems, but that's another story.  I haven't used LED bulbs yet, but CFL don't last anywhere near as long as the package indicates.  They start to get pink and dim over time.  They flicker or don't start up as quickly when they get old too.  If I had the chance to get a CFL with HA built in, I WOULD NOT.  I would personally rather have the device control a dumb cheap bulb rather than tying the expensive part to a cheap component that should be considered replaceable.

I have 12v usb car chargers that have failed several times.  The reason they fail is the spring (which may be intended to act as a fuse since there isn't a replaceable one in the tip).  The tip no longer makes contact with the +12v and thus the whole thing is garbage over a $0.05 spring.  I paid $10/ea and can't find a replacement spring so the whole thing has to be dumped.  If some similar cheap component in an X10 device fails, I might be able to fix it (maybe).  If something in a HA bulb fails, it's garbage.  Just my opinion though.

dhouston

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 37
    • davehouston.org
« Reply #399 on: June 07, 2017, 12:27:29 PM »

I wouldn't advocate smart bulbs. I've had dimmable Cree LEDs for a few years and all work well with X10 modules. It would be simple and extremely cost efficient for Authinx to add an ESP8266 WiFi chip to each of their modules and switches while retaining PLC. Tuicemen can speak to both the low cost and relative simplicity (once you navigate the learning curve).
This message was composed entirely from recycled letters of the alphabet using only renewable, caffeinated energy sources.
No twees, wabbits, chimps or whales died in the process.
https://www.laser.com/dhouston

Tuicemen

• Administrator
« Reply #400 on: June 08, 2017, 08:46:45 AM »

Smart bulbs may be useful in some cases.
I experimented with several Mylight LED bulbs, both color and white, all now sit in their original boxes.
The idea with LED bulbs is energy consumption adding wi-fi to each bulb increases that.
Also using a network address for a simple light didn't make sense.

The  ESP8266 WiFi chip dhouston speaks of are very small. The Sonoff modules itead sells uses these and you can use those much like x10 lamp or appliance modules for under $10 each.
The chip its self uses 5 volts and itead has a low voltage module which runs on 5-24 volts so your not just limited to 110 volts for HA.
the itead software though is garbage and is limited to the cloud. Fortunately you can easily flash the ESP8266 chip so you can control thee modules locally without the cloud.

Although adding these to x10 modules is feasible I still prefer a hub which Authinx is working on (the Wi-Fi module).
I've read complaints that 256 x10 addresses weren't enough for some. ::) :'
With Wi-Fi your limited to 254 and less depending on how many laptops, PCs, phones,cameras ... are already configured on your network.
Plus adding the Wi-Fi chip to a module would cause each module to use even more power (sure it wouldn't be much but it adds up)
Adding a Wi-Fi/x10 combo module to the product line would be a better option then adding the chip to all modules (in my opinion)
 >!
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

bkenobi

• PI Expert
« Reply #401 on: June 08, 2017, 09:00:40 AM »

Techically, you are limited to 254 devices if you choose to stick with a single router. If you add another router, you add up to 254 each.

Tuicemen

• Administrator
« Reply #402 on: June 08, 2017, 10:05:17 AM »

Techically, you are limited to 254 devices if you choose to stick with a single router. If you add another router, you add up to 254 each.
True but many have a difficult time with just one router. ::) :'
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

HA Dave

« Reply #403 on: June 08, 2017, 02:53:04 PM »

I haven't used LED bulbs yet, but CFL don't last anywhere near as long as the package indicates.  They start to get pink and dim over time.  They flicker or don't start up as quickly when they get old too.  If I had the chance to get a CFL with HA built in, I WOULD NOT.

I agree! The CFL's were a huge disappointment. I still have a few CFL's in service but I am merely letting the price of their LED replacements fall while I wait for the CFL to fail.

Quote from: bkenobi link=topic=28628.msg168823#msg168823 date=1496849434If
some..... cheap component in an X10 device fails, I might be able to fix it (maybe).  If something in a HA bulb fails, it's garbage.  Just my opinion though.

Opinion or not... it's true! Lightbulbs are consumables. I stock lightbulbs to replace the ones that burn out.... just like I stock battery's for flashlights. But..... I haven't bought any smart LED light bulbs just to set in there package and wait.... yet.

I could add a near endless list of items/materials/consumables that I stock here at home or regularly buy at various stores. I am a consumer like nearly everyone else. I buy stuff. Some things I buy over and over again.

When I placed my 1st X10 order.... it was for my Home Theater.... I bought three diming light switches and a Palmpad remote control. I told my wife that would be all the parts/pieces I would need to add a "wow factor" (as well as convenience) to my Theater. When the parts arrived.... I soon realized I needed a (TM751) Transceiver to get the Palmpad signal to my powerline. After I ordered the TM751... I realized what I really needed was to order a CM11 (which I did). And so on... and so forth.

If no one else on this forum considers themselves as consumers of HA products.... I know I am.

But... like bkenobi I also fix and repair what I can when I can. I fixed my gasoline powered pressure washer this spring. I ordered a $20 part (uploader valve) online (Amazon) and fixed the thing myself.

I wouldn't advocate smart bulbs. I've had dimmable Cree LEDs for a few years and all work well with X10 modules........

My smart (Wifi) LED (I only have one) is a Cree. My other (dumb?) LEDs are cheaper. I am so-far happy with LED's. I'll admit my intro into smart bulbs was a bit of an experiment.... trying BOTH the wifi bulb and my Link Hub. But all is working fine.

But everyone is right. Sooner or later.... I'll throw that $14 smart bulb in the trash... and stop at Home Depot and get a new one. Or maybe order it on-line... whatever. But yes.... it is now and always has been cheaper to manually operate my lights. And deciding to "automate" was also a decision to become a consumer of HA products.

Everything.... comes at a price.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2017, 11:55:03 PM by HA Dave »

bkenobi

• PI Expert
« Reply #404 on: June 08, 2017, 03:46:16 PM »

It's really just a question of what part is the consumable. I don't think of HA as a consumable. I do consider bulbs, batteries, etc as consumables. Just like you don't the low away a lamp because the bulb burns out, I don't personally want to throw out a HA controller for the same reason.
Pages: 1 ... 25 26 [27] 28 29 ... 34

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.