Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 29 30 [31] 32 33 34

Author Topic: New x10 Wi-Fi unit  (Read 165499 times)

Tuicemen

• Administrator
  • Helpful Post Rating: 282
  • I don't work for X10, I use it successfuly!
Re: New x10 Wi-Fi unit
« Reply #450 on: October 10, 2017, 11:29:23 AM »

Q: What is the advantage of the WiFi unit over using a WiFi enabled device in conjunction with a X10 controller (CM15/CM11)?
As far as I see only a power consumption advantage and you can program it from any where after initial setup (hopefully ::) :') .
The app for the x10 Hub I seen had no real timers or macros so a cm15/11 would have still been needed.
However I requested macros and timers be added which would eliminate the need for a cm15/11  for most simple configurations.
I suspect complicated macros may still require a CM15 though the Hub does have more internal memory (I've been told) then the CM15 so the possibility for complicated macros and timers is a possibility.

The draw back with the hub  is it will have no RF send or receive :( but then neither does a CM11
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

toasterking

• Helpful Post Rating: 11
  • We adore chaos because we love to produce order.
« Reply #451 on: October 10, 2017, 12:43:04 PM »

Q: What is the advantage of the WiFi unit over using a WiFi enabled device in conjunction with a X10 controller (CM15/CM11)?
I've had the same question all along, and to me, the advantage is none.  Regardless of whatever buzzwords may be used in its marketing, this seems intended to be a remote control device, not a home automation device.  Some of us demand more from our setups, like triggers and actions with complex logic in the middle.  I pretty much decided at the beginning that this product isn't for me.  But if it does serve some sector of the market well and helps to promote innovation and longevity in the company supporting X10, I'll support it.  I only hope that either of those are still true at this point.

Tuicemen

• Administrator
« Reply #452 on: October 10, 2017, 01:07:01 PM »

Some of us demand more from our setups, like triggers and actions with complex logic in the middle.
I agree and on seeing the last app build, to me it was nothing more then a device to allow remote control via your smartphone and only from ones own Lan.
I stated no one needs another fancy X10 remote, I have a box full of X10 remotes. B:(
This app is(was) worse then the one I used with the first version Alfa build with the old(obsolete) chipset. :(

The Hub does have an internal clock which I'm told is update via the web so timers are not a issue.
As long as the code for timers and macros is added into the app there will be some automation. ;)
In fortunately we are all at the mercy of the App developer  B:( The Manufacture states the possibilities are there.

Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

bkenobi

• PI Expert
  • Helpful Post Rating: 24
« Reply #453 on: October 11, 2017, 12:05:50 PM »

So local network control only (I'm not complaining, that's a good thing) but it requires the internet to set the clock.  Does that make sense to anyone else?

Tuicemen

• Administrator
« Reply #454 on: October 11, 2017, 12:36:24 PM »

I didn't say it set time via internet just that it updated (maintained) it that way.
Actually I believe the manufacture may have stated it was updated threw the app so it would use the phone to keep updated.
However since timers and macros were not in the app yet there also was not a visible time setting.
Also there was no option for dusk dawn or daylight savings settings, but after I supplied a data base I'm told this will be added.
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

JeffVolp

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 122
    • XTB Home Page
« Reply #455 on: October 11, 2017, 03:12:38 PM »

Unfortunately we are all at the mercy of the App developer  B:( The Manufacture states the possibilities are there.

Gee if we have been waiting years just for the software, why not release the protocol so some of the more technically inclined X10 users can develop their own software without having to wait for the "App developer".

Jeff
X-10 automation since the BSR days

Tuicemen

• Administrator
« Reply #456 on: October 11, 2017, 03:23:32 PM »

Exactly what I had put forth to the Authinx owner.
However it appears the manufacture contracted the current app developer without clarifying who owned the code (so I'm told)
I've been trying to get some semblance of the protocol at least to see what the hardware is going to be capable of for over a year now. I keep being told the manufacturer is dragging their feet as Authinx is waiting on this from them. B:(
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
« Reply #457 on: October 11, 2017, 06:38:06 PM »

.... Regardless of whatever buzzwords may be used in its marketing, this seems intended to be a remote control device, not a home automation device. Some of us demand more from our setups, like triggers and actions with complex logic in the middle.......

You hit the nail on the head. To many people... if not most... Home Automation is timers or motion detectors that turn "lights" on and off.

Seemingly... only recently has Amazon realized that they are marketing an AI (Artificial Intelligence) Device. I've been working at getting my home to accept my voice as the remote... and communicate back to me with a voice.... for about a decade now. It is so nice to see that part of the HA experience has come to fruition! Now... if I could just get more text messages and maybe voice alerts from home... sent to my phone.

But unfortunately with that accomplishment/advancement.... the concept of truly intelligent automation seems to have been pushed the side by the crowds of NEW HA users.... who imagine HA as it existed in the 1980. Push buttons and timers.

But also... on the Brightside today anyone with basic reading skills can setup a voice (Amazon) operated garage door (MyQ chamberlain) for a couple hundred bucks. A God-send for anyone confined to a bed or otherwise (temporarily or permanently) unable to open a home to guesses, service people, or even emergency services. Or ... even just yell at their smart phone (or Amazon device) to have it make a phone call.

We come so far with automation... and the possibilities really are limited ONLY by our LACK of imagination. I like your phrase: "triggers and actions with complex logic in the middle". THAT should be the accepted goal of every new product!
Home Automation is an always changing technology

Tuicemen

• Administrator
« Reply #458 on: December 27, 2017, 10:25:01 AM »

I've been told Authinx has a small shipment of these (production run) units in house now, though not told an exact number. :)%
They are still waiting on the App developer to finalize things but I expect these to be offered by second week of January 2018.
I'm told the developer will be working on an Alexa skill next. Hopefully they are faster at creating that! ::) :'
Authinx is open to suggestions for modifications and changes based on the masses as feedbacks come in.  :)%
2018 is looking good!
 >!
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

Tucson

• Helpful Post Rating: 2
« Reply #459 on: December 27, 2017, 03:01:14 PM »

Wow, I gave up on this every happening.  That's great news. :)%  Making it open source would be great. Also a Siri Interface. But first quickly debugging problems would be nice.  A little nervous about response time after how long it's taking to get here.

Tucson

• Helpful Post Rating: 2
« Reply #460 on: December 27, 2017, 03:12:37 PM »

Almost forgot to ask which platforms will the app support.  iOS and android ?

Tuicemen

• Administrator
« Reply #461 on: December 27, 2017, 03:27:18 PM »

Yes iOS and Android, I've seen both.
As for open source I've been pushing for the protocol since the first proto type was created. having this would have given me a good Idea of what the hardware is capable of. Currently we have to wait till a app update and even then that only shows what the developer has utilized.
This unit is firmware upgradable (I've seen three upgrades so far) so expanding the possibilities are there however some may still require a hardware upgrade.
I've also been told that if the demand is there serious thought will be given to improvement Ideas. >!
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

bkenobi

• PI Expert
  • Helpful Post Rating: 24
« Reply #462 on: December 31, 2017, 11:17:53 PM »

They take 3+ years to get a device to production and then tell us that if we show enough interest, they might do more?  Seems like a tough sell even for diehard people.  I've moved on from this, but I am really hoping that the device sells well.

Tuicemen

• Administrator
« Reply #463 on: December 31, 2017, 11:28:20 PM »

Delays seem to be common for things done in China now or things that were started in 2014-15 B:(
Authinx is not the only company experiencing delays  :(
I wouldn't expect them to add every option users request. To stated if demand for an add was there sounds reasonable to me.
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

Mic_

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
« Reply #464 on: January 01, 2018, 01:37:14 AM »

So, in a nut shell, where are we on this wifi unit?
Pages: 1 ... 29 30 [31] 32 33 34

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.