Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: High efficiency incandescents  (Read 2018 times)

bkenobi

• PI Expert
  • Helpful Post Rating: 24
High efficiency incandescents
« on: January 15, 2014, 11:34:04 AM »

I went to my local box store earlier this week to stock up on 60W bulbs for the next couple years.  I don't plan on keeping a lifetime supply, but I'd like to have enough that the LED's can come down in price to something more comparable to the range incandescent (standard or halogen) currently sit at.  The price of the LED's has come way down already ($50ea to ~$15ea), but it's still pretty pricey compared to $1.47 for 4.

When I was looking at the options, I found that the high efficiency incandescent bulbs have come WAY down in price too.  Last time I looked, these glorified halogen bulbs were priced at ~$10ea.  This was at the same time that LED's were running $50, so it was a much better price, but for some reason they didn't take.  At that time, they were rare in my local stores, so perhaps that's part of it.  Anyway, this time they had those same bulbs in a 4 pack from all 3 major manufacturers for ~$6 for 4.

From the looks of it, we may not be forced to use CFL or LED bulbs afterall.  As I understand, these are basically a halogen bulb installed inside a standard A type bulb.  These should work perfectly in all X10 applications without any modifications.  They are 28% more efficient, so they meet the gov't requirements and should be around for the foreseeable future.  When I burn through my supply of standard bulbs, I'll be using these ones!

dhouston

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 37
    • davehouston.org
Re: High efficiency incandescents
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2014, 12:11:27 PM »

This message was composed entirely from recycled letters of the alphabet using only renewable, caffeinated energy sources.
No twees, wabbits, chimps or whales died in the process.
https://www.laser.com/dhouston

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
Re: High efficiency incandescents
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2014, 03:14:56 PM »

I have seen the new energy efficient bulbs mentioned on other automation forums. As working fine.
They should be a good way to go for X10 users. That don't want to hand pick LED and CFL bulbs that work with X10.

I have a Sylvania Super Saver 72 watt replacement for the old 100 watt bulbs. To test with.
Box says it is 1490 Lumen's and a 100 watt bulb is typically 1690 Lumen's. So not quite as bright.
Smaller size A17 shell. While most 100 watt bulbs are A19 shell.
To prevent breakages. Not for use in wet locations. Outside should be an enclosed fixture.
Due to radiant heat emitted from the bulb. Don't get too close to combustible materials.

Older revision WS467A and WS12A. No issues.
Old before soft start, early soft start and later soft start LM465's. No issues.

Some of the comments on the article Dave pointed out. Seem to indicate the ban was not revoked but the funding to enforce it was.
I would also expect states like California that has its own stricter Ban would not be effected.

« Last Edit: January 15, 2014, 03:31:32 PM by Brian H »

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.