Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Simon 3 XT with X10 controllers - remote Chime  (Read 4002 times)

pcride

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
Simon 3 XT with X10 controllers - remote Chime
« on: July 28, 2014, 09:18:47 PM »

Hi, I have the following

Simon 3 GE XT Security System, X10 compatible
9V X10 power supply (just received today)
2 x10 lamp controllers - works fine and can control them using Simon 3 buttons on the panels
1 Remote Chime SC546A which doesn't "chime" when a door /window opens.

I need to know if the Simon 3 GE XT is sending an X10 signal for the Chime and Special Chime. All the documentation I read says it should be working but its not. I have plugged in the remote chime into several different outlets, changed House codes/units (Currently set to Unit 9 for Chime, and House code is one higher than the Simon Panel.

Is this not able to work or what? Please advise if I am wasting time.

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
Re: Simon 3 XT with X10 controllers - remote Chime
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2014, 06:09:48 AM »

I will look at the Simon Manual I found on line. For some information.
If you want to test the SC546A. Set it to one of the Lamp Modules Addresses and then turn the light On and Off. When you turn the light ON the chime should also sound.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2014, 06:43:41 AM by Brian H »

Brian H

• Community Organizer
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2014, 06:43:13 AM »

I found some added information.
The Simon 3 uses an X10 Small Powerhorn Siren not an X10 SC546 Chime Module. So it will not work as you wanted it to.
Their PN:13-398.

GE says the module was proprietary but some web searching seems to indicate the X10 Small Powerhorn module should work. A fellow Simon 3 owner maybe able to confirm this.
The X10 SH10A or X10Pro PSH02 Small Powerhorn should work fine. As they both can chime or sound an alarm siren sound.
The PH508A and PSH01 Large Powerhorns may not act correctly as they don't chime. They can only be commanded to sound an alarm siren sound.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2014, 07:32:41 AM by Brian H »

pcride

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2014, 01:34:34 AM »

Thanks. I did order the remote chime x10 which didn't work unfortunately.
It would not chime
http://www.smarthome.com/2045/X10-SC546-Chime-Module/p.aspx

Then after more research like Brian said I found the power horn should chime and siren /alarm.
http://www.smarthome.com/7362/X10-SH10A-PSH02-Monitor-Plus-Powerhorn-X10-Remote-Siren/p.aspx

I was confused because these devices look exactly the same.

Also the other confusion was the model number of the Simon 3 panel. I had to replace mine because it burned out but I replaced it for $20, not bad but it was one model down... So I done have Timing Sensor and one other option... I  waiting for the power horn, I'll let you know.

GE seemed to fail in this area (remote chime) as there are very few modules that work as an auxiliary chime speaker. There is a remote touch pad which also is only one way.

My advice for anyone is to check the model numbers on the devices and make sure it's what works for your device. GE seemed to have made several models/versions that look all the same on all their devices and controllers.

Brian H

• Community Organizer
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2014, 06:03:47 AM »

Yes the SC564 and PSH02 do look physically the same.
From my tear downs. They are also the same internally. Only difference is the firmware programmed into the controller IC.

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.