Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: MS18A motion sensor malfunctioning  (Read 3080 times)

dfc37

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
MS18A motion sensor malfunctioning
« on: August 09, 2014, 10:02:13 PM »

I've had my current my current x-10 system in operation for over two years. One of the MS18A motion sensors recently started setting off the alarm within seconds of arming in away mode.  The activated sensor displays on the SC12A console. Removing the affected sensor zone from the console allows the system to be armed in away mode without event. I attempted re-installing the MS18A and the problem returned. I relocated the MS18A to a location where there was no heat source or possibility of motion to be detected and the problem persisted. I re-tried initial sensor setup and installation multiple times with no change. I observed the sensor from a 90 degree angle, out of the sensing range, and noticed the green LED flashes every 30 seconds even when there is no possible movement. Is the sensor faulty or is there a fix? The system works normally with this sensor removed from the system.

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
Re: MS18A motion sensor malfunctioning
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2014, 11:24:56 PM »

....... the green LED flashes every 30 seconds even when there is no possible movement. Is the sensor faulty...?

Yes.
Home Automation is an always changing technology

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2014, 06:41:09 AM »

You did try a fresh battery?

Can you see inside the sensor and look for something like a spider crawling around?
I had a smoke detector trigger and out popped a spider.  ???

dhouston

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 37
    • davehouston.org
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2014, 10:55:38 AM »

I had a smoke detector trigger and out popped a spider.  ???
About 15 years ago I had a spider take up residence in a slight depression on the front of a plug-in module. It's been too long for me to recall details of the module but the spider stayed for several weeks so I'm guessing there was something about it that the spider (or its prey) found attractive.
This message was composed entirely from recycled letters of the alphabet using only renewable, caffeinated energy sources.
No twees, wabbits, chimps or whales died in the process.
https://www.laser.com/dhouston

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.