Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: WiFi module  (Read 22480 times)

dave w

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 139
WiFi module
« on: August 22, 2014, 03:25:31 PM »

Anyone know how the WiFi X10 module development is coming along? I'm anxious!
"This aftershave makes me look fat"

dhouston

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 37
    • davehouston.org
Re: WiFi module
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2014, 04:47:01 PM »

No, but with big players (e.g. Samsung) entering this market every day, it's likely to a day late and a dollar short.
The one I'm watching is Belkin which has light bulbs, lamp modules, appliance modules and more that all use WiFi directly.
This message was composed entirely from recycled letters of the alphabet using only renewable, caffeinated energy sources.
No twees, wabbits, chimps or whales died in the process.
https://www.laser.com/dhouston

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2014, 10:20:04 PM »

No, but with big players (e.g. Samsung) entering this market every day, it's likely to a day late and a dollar short.

I am also "anxious"... and slightly frustrated with the waiting. Technology moves a bit too quickly for these delays. Day late... and dollar short.. indeed.
Home Automation is an always changing technology

Tuicemen

• Administrator
  • Helpful Post Rating: 282
  • I don't work for X10, I use it successfuly!
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2014, 10:58:55 AM »

Last I heard a new prototype was being sent to X10 for testing and approval. I hope to hear more shortly.
The one I'm watching is Belkin which has light bulbs, lamp modules, appliance modules and more that all use WiFi directly.
I've tried Belkin Wi-Fi lamp modules but wasn't impressed however I'm sure software will improve to give more options.
I think the new X10 Wi-Fi unit will be a hit as it will talk with most existing x10 devices.
Combining it with a cm15 will give it lots of possibilities.
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

dave w

• Community Organizer
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2014, 05:38:57 PM »

Yeah, I undertand. But (new) X10 still has a large established user base, which gives them a slight initial advantage once the product hits the market. I think this device might revitalize X10. Hopefully there is some progress taking place.

dhouston

• Advanced Member
    • davehouston.org
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2014, 06:07:33 PM »

I think this device might revitalize X10. Hopefully there is some progress taking place.
I hope you are right about the revitalization but, at this point, I would not recommend X10 to anyone who doesn't already have it. Long range, direct control via WiFi is certain to be less problematic than X10's 40 year old PLC.
This message was composed entirely from recycled letters of the alphabet using only renewable, caffeinated energy sources.

Walt2

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 28
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2014, 02:39:47 PM »

There is the European Marmitek TIP10RF.     It does Ethernet to X10 RF.    Basically, plugging into your WiFi router on a wired Ethernet jack found on most of them.   If you can manage Port Forwarding, it can allow control from anywhere from your smartphone.   They offer Android and iPhone apps for it.   

Though, I am sure it complies with the European X10 specs.   We here in the US would need someone to make one that complies with US X10 specs.
* Sears Home Control System, Radio Shack Plug 'n Power, NuTone, Stanley LightMaker, BSR, HomeLink.
* Tecmar Device Master, CP290 (LightHouse), CM11A (AH), CM14A (AH2), CM15A (AHPro).

dhouston

• Advanced Member
    • davehouston.org
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2014, 04:01:10 PM »

In the past, I was able to help some Europeans convert RF devices from 310MHz to 433.92MHz so they could buy cheaper US devices and modify them for European use. I was also able to convert the European temperature monitor/thermostat to use here. In these cases, all that was needed was to replace the RF transmitter module.

That's not likely to work here as, IIRC, both X10 and WiFi frequencies are different for Europe.

There are more and more companies introducing comprehensive systems (Harmony just did so.) that work with a multitude of vendors. The one vendor missing from all is X10.

I'm a quadriplegic (classified by the VA as catastrophically disabled) and am more and more finding the need to move beyond X10 to something more integrated and reliable. I am leaning towards Belkin's WeMo as I've extensive experience with their WiFi gear and figure they will get things right, eventually. And, there are no range issues with any of my multiple WiFi devices.

The holdup is both expense (WeMo devices are rather costly) and the lack of remote control (beyond phones/tablets). I now have an X10 RF remote (or more) in each room and can control all of my X10 devices (much more limited these days) with them. I also have a minitimer that turns my lights on in the morning and evening. I sure do not want or need both X10 remotes and WiFi-capable tablets in multiple locations.

Unless the new X10 gets their heads out of their *sses and addresses the need to integrate with newer WiFi based systems, methinks they won't last long.  Selling replacement modules to the oldtimers here won't cut it long range.  
« Last Edit: September 19, 2014, 05:04:43 PM by dhouston »

dave w

• Community Organizer
« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2014, 05:08:48 PM »

Unless the new X10 gets their heads out of their *sses and addresses the need to integrate with newer WiFi based systems, methinks they won't last long.  Selling replacement modules to the oldtimers here won't cut it long range.  
Yeah, Dave, I tend to agree. I go to Verizon store or Best Buy and I see Phillips, Belkin, etc. displays. The only folks who know anything about X10 are the current users from old. Even "Plug-N-Power" doesn't even ring a bell anymore.

I wish "new" X10 success, but they have a steep slope to climb. Maybe we could get Jack Ma interested.

Walt2

• Advanced Member
« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2014, 05:09:21 PM »

I'm a quadriplegic (classified by the VA as catastrophically disabled) and am more and more finding the need to move beyond X10 to something more integrated and reliable. I am leaning towards Belkin's WeMo as I've extensive experience with their WiFi gear and figure they will get things right, eventually. And, there are no range issues with any of my multiple WiFi devices.

The holdup is both expense (WeMo devices are rather costly) and the lack of remote control (beyond phones/tablets). I now have an X10 RF remote (or more) in each room and can control all of my X10 devices (much more limited theses days) with them. I also have a minitimer that turns my lights on in the morning and evening. I sure do not want or need both X10 remotes and WiFi-capable tablets in multiple locations.

I thought the Belkin's WeMo's were pretty interesting.  Unfortunately, the number of different kinds of modules is rather limited, and I don't see that changing.  

Plus, I own a Belkin product, and find they like to abandon/drop products without notice.   That includes removing/deleting the product's sections from their support forums (which precludes peer to peer support too).  That doesn't give me much confidence to start to invest in their WeMo's.

What I would like to see, from what ever is next in home automation, is a bridge.    Something that would allow support for both X10 and what-ever-that's-new simultaneously.   So, that my existing X10 modules would continue to work, until I ultimately get to replace them, one by one.
* Sears Home Control System, Radio Shack Plug 'n Power, NuTone, Stanley LightMaker, BSR, HomeLink.
* Tecmar Device Master, CP290 (LightHouse), CM11A (AH), CM14A (AH2), CM15A (AHPro).

Walt2

• Advanced Member
« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2014, 05:14:25 PM »

Yeah, Dave, I tend to agree. I go to Verizon store or Best Buy and I see Phillips, Belkin, etc. displays. The only folks who know anything about X10 are the current users from old. Even "Plug-N-Power" doesn't even ring a bell anymore.

I wish "new" X10 success, but they have a steep slope to climb. Maybe we could get Jack Ma interested.

Even though Homelink is still in new cars, Homelink's support/connection into X10 is long gone.

I think the "new" X10 future is limited to supporting just us.  And honestly, I buy few new modules anymore.

dave w

• Community Organizer
« Reply #11 on: September 19, 2014, 05:51:34 PM »

What I would like to see, from what ever is next in home automation, is a bridge.    Something that would allow support for both X10 and what-ever-that's-new simultaneously.   So, that my existing X10 modules would continue to work, until I ultimately get to replace them, one by one.
You might look at Homeseer.  I use Homeseer2.xx which talks X10, Z-Wave, UPB. Homeseer 3 is out and supposedly talks to a far greater audience, and has plug-ins for numoruos ancillary systems. I have had good luck with 2.xx but am unwilling to pay the high cost of upgrade since it buys me little. Howver you might be interested since Homeseer can act as a bridge between various systems. $0.02

dhouston

• Advanced Member
    • davehouston.org
« Reply #12 on: September 19, 2014, 06:03:02 PM »

What I would like to see, from what ever is next in home automation, is a bridge.
Essentially, that's what I was suggesting but I don't see any of those currently offering integrated systems offering a bridge to X10 so it will likely be up to the new X10 and I don't think they are interested. Adding WiFi to something like the CM15A is very doable and very affordable but, again, the new X10 is unlikely to go there.

Another bridge possibility is HomeControlGenie running on the Pi B+ but that's likely to be more DIYey than is generally acceptable here. I was getting there with Zarduino but my health issues have deep-sixed that.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2015, 10:48:59 AM by dhouston »

dave w

• Community Organizer
« Reply #13 on: July 16, 2017, 05:27:06 PM »

Anyone know how the WiFi X10 module development is coming along?
:'    >*<     B:(    rofl   

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
« Reply #14 on: July 16, 2017, 06:39:41 PM »

What I would like to see, from what ever is next in home automation, is a bridge.

Essentially, that's what I was suggesting but I don't see any of those currently offering integrated systems offering a bridge to X10 so it will likely be up to the new X10 and I don't think they are interested. Adding WiFi to something like the CM15A is very doable and very affordable but, again, the new X10 is unlikely to go there.

Another bridge possibility is HomeControlGenie running on the Pi B+ but that's likely to be more DIYey than is generally acceptable here. I was getting there with Zarduino but my health issues have deep-sixed that.

My [Homeseer] Hometroller is just a Pi (in a case) it uses downloaded drivers and apps... and uses the CM15A as a plugin. For local control... everything remains local using the Pi's (and the CM15A's) firmware on my own home network. But for those who want more (and who doesn't want more) The unit is also cloud friendly (with no fee's).

It's an excellent bridge/device. I use my X10 from anywhere (although rarely, if ever, is that needed)... and it makes my X10 work with Alexa/Amazon. I have even (easily) created cross-protocol automation devices to work together in a macro/robot/program.

This video... demonstrates how I tell Alexa to turn the "Bedtime Lights Out". Alexa uses the Cloud/Web to determine which lights are in the "Bedtime room"... and sends signals to do that. The "bedtime room" contains an X10 false/phantom device which's triggers a macro (turning a small light on... than off... 3 minutes later) Accomplished using the Hometroller (Homeseer Pi device) + the CM15A as a plugin. The Bedtime room also contains an ihome module/device (kitchen light controlled directly by the Alexa/amazon device), as well as the Cree wifi bulb beside my chair (controlled via a Wink hub).

If we pile on the hubs.... we can do anything!

You might look at Homeseer.  I use Homeseer2.xx which talks X10, Z-Wave, UPB. Homeseer 3 is out and supposedly talks to a far greater audience, and has plug-ins for numoruos ancillary systems. I have had good luck with 2.xx but am unwilling to pay the high cost of upgrade since it buys me little. Howver you might be interested since Homeseer can act as a bridge between various systems. $0.02

You had the answer... all along.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2017, 07:55:46 PM by HA Dave »
Home Automation is an always changing technology
Pages: [1] 2

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.