Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Future ain't what it used to be  (Read 2656 times)

dhouston

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 37
    • davehouston.org
« Last Edit: September 01, 2014, 04:38:30 PM by dhouston »
This message was composed entirely from recycled letters of the alphabet using only renewable, caffeinated energy sources.
No twees, wabbits, chimps or whales died in the process.
https://www.laser.com/dhouston

dave w

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 139
Re: Future ain't what it used to be
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2014, 01:33:23 PM »

WOW! Whoda thunk these photo drop boxes could be anything less than safe and secure?  :'
"This aftershave makes me look fat"

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2014, 01:14:28 AM »

Everything that can be owned.... can (and will) be stolen.

If you count every grain of sand.... on every beach in the world... you are certainly Civil Service. Joking aside the government has experimented with various smart building technologies for many years (I used to work for the government). A lot of really effective ideas... have been around for decades.

Restroom lights were all on motion sensors. I like motion sensors at home too.

Instead of lighting an entire room to comfortable levels... keep rooms on the dark side other than natural light. Then use "task lighting" in individual private/work areas. Using this strategy (and CFL and LED lights) I can light my home at night rarely exceeding 60 watts of lighting electric.

« Last Edit: September 08, 2014, 01:54:01 AM by HA Dave »
Home Automation is an always changing technology

dhouston

• Advanced Member
    • davehouston.org
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2014, 12:00:57 PM »

It was both surprising and worrisome to read about the IoT installation.

Surprising because we usually read about how outdated the government is when it comes to computer networks and IT.

Worrisome because of...
This message was composed entirely from recycled letters of the alphabet using only renewable, caffeinated energy sources.

dhouston

• Advanced Member
    • davehouston.org
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2014, 01:05:52 PM »

...I like motion sensors at home too.

Instead of lighting an entire room to comfortable levels... keep rooms on the dark side other than natural light. Then use "task lighting" in individual private/work areas. Using this strategy (and CFL and LED lights) I can light my home at night rarely exceeding 60 watts of lighting electric.

If you have frequent switching, whether manual or from motion sensors, you need to consider that CFLs and LEDs can have very high inrush currents, several times what you see with a 60W incandescent.

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2014, 03:07:32 PM »

Some LED bulb manufacturers actually have a value you can use when adding up loads on a dimmer. Though I have never seen it on the box but burred on the specification sheet.
I have seen one LSG LED Bulb say count each one as a 80 watt bulb when calculating total wattage on a dimmer.
For Inrush and Repetitive Currents.

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2014, 11:30:47 PM »

...I like motion sensors at home too.

If you have frequent switching, whether manual or from motion sensors, you need to consider that CFLs and LEDs can have very high inrush currents, several times what you see with a 60W incandescent.

True... but even with increased starting levels it is easy to recoup saving. You can do the math.

In my case... I like the safety, security, convenience. Motion sensors in the garage, and laundry room.... because I've never seen my wife walk into ether areas when her arms were empty. Why bother with a switch too. My homes perimeter has motion sensors... for both safety and security.   
Home Automation is an always changing technology

dhouston

• Advanced Member
    • davehouston.org
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2014, 06:59:30 AM »

True... but even with increased starting levels it is easy to recoup saving. You can do the math.

It's not as much a matter of cost as it is of safety.  A web search using cfl led inrush will turn up many interesting articles. Here's an example.

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.