Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: CM17A stopped working  (Read 3035 times)

ChromeTemplar

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
CM17A stopped working
« on: February 27, 2017, 11:49:36 AM »

Apologies in advance if this is covered elsewhere in the forums.  I've searched for an hour now, and hit so many  broken links, that I decide to plow ahead an post.

We are using the CM17A module to signal the X10 tranciever module to turn off/on 3 lights here at work.  We are using to drive a trafic light light so the engineer staff gets a green/yellow/red status of the night's builds.

The problem started when the Linux box the CM17A wazs connected to was shutdown unexpectedly due to heating problems -- the data center popped a circuit breaker on the HVAC system, and data center staff shut down non-essential systems.  Since that time, the system doesn't work.  (yes, power is restored to the Linux box.)

We use Bottlerocket to send a signal to the CM17A, but I can't tell if the CM17A received the signal.  Nor can I tell if the X10 tranceiver module received the signal from the X10.  I just now that the X10 tranceiver module and the two appliance modules do not respond to the signals sent through bottlerocket.

I removed the CM17A from the Linux box and connected it to the back of my Windows 7 box.  The problem is, I can't find software to drive the CM17A module.  What I can find, I can't install because msvcr70.dll is missing from my system (or it can't be found).  I have MSVCR100.dll, but that's not what the installer is looking for.  And in any event, I'm only doing this in an effort to verify that the CM17A, X10 Tranceiver and X10 Appliance modules are still good.  The protocol for driving the CM17A is gone from whatever links I find.

Any help would be appreciated.

Maybe it is time to put the crowbar into the wallet and buy new equipment!

Tuicemen

• Administrator
  • Helpful Post Rating: 282
  • I don't work for X10, I use it successfuly!
Re: CM17A stopped working
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2017, 01:07:18 PM »

The issue is most likely the transceiver not the cm17a.
You don't state what that is? but I suspect it is a Tm751 which I've seen go with voltage spikes and power abnormalities.
The easiest way to test is with a RF remote like the Palm Pad.
I'll see what I have here for CM17 windows software.
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

Tuicemen

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2017, 03:09:09 PM »

This isn't the actual X10 firecracker software but is intended for the cm17.
just rename to a zip file then extract.
Hope it works I get no errors when I open it but I don't have a serial port to actually test it.
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

ChromeTemplar

« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2017, 09:31:22 AM »

Yes, the transceiver Module is the TM751. 

Oh, I see what you are saying.  Get a remote to see if the transceiver actually changes state.

Thanks for the software -- I will download and give it a go.

I will post again once I try the remote and a new transceiver.

Thank you!

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2017, 09:50:15 AM »

You may want to rotate the House Code Dial on the TM751.
We have seen X10 modules where the House Code and Unit Code dials where dirty and not making correct connections.
So you thought you where on the set address but where on a different address. Rotating the dials many times cleaned then up.

Remote chance you have one of the TM751's where X10WTI removed the internal On Off Relay and made the output a pass through AC outlet. That version will not click On and Off. As it has no relay in it to click with your remotes test.
Other X10 modules should respond from the remote commands if the X10 address is being passed to the power lines. By the TM751.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2017, 09:54:25 AM by Brian H »

dhouston

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 37
    • davehouston.org
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2017, 10:04:08 AM »

Remote chance you have one of the TM751's where X10WTI removed the internal On Off Relay and made the output a pass through AC outlet. That version will not click On and Off. As it has no relay in it to click with your remotes test.
These were labelled TM751A.
This message was composed entirely from recycled letters of the alphabet using only renewable, caffeinated energy sources.
No twees, wabbits, chimps or whales died in the process.
https://www.laser.com/dhouston

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2017, 01:02:45 PM »

I believe X10WTI also put a piece of plastic tape over hole in the top case. Where the local on off button was.

ChromeTemplar

« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2017, 09:15:52 AM »

I'm here to keep my promise and report results.

Yes, it was the TM751 that was the problem.  I bought a TM751 off of eBay, along with the PalmPad remote.  With the new transceiver in, our stoplight is once again working!  (BTW, the system is working with the original CM17A module, so that proves that it wasn't the problem.)

The light is red now.  When the test failures from last night's build are fixed, the traffic light will be green once again!

Thanks!  Especially Tuicemen!

Tuicemen

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2017, 09:25:46 AM »

Thanks for following up and reporting back It is nice to know your back up and running.
Did the software work for you? I really have no way of testing it with my newer PCs so If it isn't usable I'll delete it from my collection of old software.
 >!
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.