Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Smart Macros  (Read 9060 times)

JBL11554

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
Smart Macros
« on: November 23, 2014, 03:00:13 PM »

I have the CM11.  I have my macros set up on P.  They work great.  I have started to experience a problem I've never ran into before.  I have one room that has three units (2 wall switches and 1 plugin relay module).  I've set them all to the same house code (ie E11).  I have a macro (P5) that turns them all on or off.  It has been running fine until lately.  Now when turn them on via the wireless controller the only one that comes on is the plugin relay module.  If I manually turn the wall switches on, I can turn everything in the room off via the wireless controller.  This is where is starts to get weird.  If I set the house code on the wireless controller to E (same as modules in the room) when I press E11 I can turn everything on and off.  So I know that the CM11 can communicate to the modules in the room.  I went thru the trouble of moving all my macros over to D but, I still run into the same issue with that particular room.  It is to the point that I am ready to dump the macros and just use the wireless controller to turn things off and on.  Crazy.

dave w

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 139
Re: Smart Macros
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2014, 07:53:38 PM »

If I set the house code on the wireless controller to E (same as modules in the room) when I press E11 I can turn everything on and off.  So I know that the CM11 can communicate to the modules in the room. 
So you normally have the wireless controller on "P" house code? What is confusing is the CM11A does not have RF capabilities so, either you have a tranceiver (TM751, RR501, etc) somewhere in the mix OR you do not have a CM11A. Could you have a CM15A? Although some of your details points in other directions, my first guess would be a noise source somewhere on your lighting circuit. Is the breaker that controls the wall switches, the same breaker that controls the outlet? If not, look for a noise source on the same circuit as the breaker controlling the light switches.

Have you installed any any new CFL or LED bulbs in the house?
"This aftershave makes me look fat"

JBL11554

« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2014, 08:06:46 PM »

Sorry my bad.  It is probably a CM15A.

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2014, 06:01:13 AM »

You are using Active Home Pro with the Smart Macro plug in, with a CM15A? As the later versions of Active Home Pro could also access the older CM11A.
You are not using the older Active Home for the CM11A?

« Last Edit: November 24, 2014, 07:00:09 AM by Brian H »

JBL11554

« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2014, 01:09:47 PM »

I am using AHP ver 3.318 with the CM15A.

JBL11554

« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2014, 02:39:24 PM »

Okay I'm going to leave well enough alone.  I think the problem I am experiencing is some bug in the AHP program.  The last thing I did was to change the codes on the three units to a smart macro that worked.  Viola!  I can now turn on and off all three devices in the dining room.  When I go into the AHP and make the changes and update the CM15A it all goes bad again.  I can see no rational explanation except that the AHP program is doing something weird.  So I set the three units to a working macro and the wireless device can now turn them on and off.  Enough craziness for a while.

netrunner

« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2014, 03:36:56 PM »

Before you download to the interface, the CM15 interface, have you:

1) purged the recycle bin?
2) cleared pending events?
3)cleared interface memory?

JBL11554

« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2014, 03:00:06 PM »

Yep did all those.  I rethought how I was going to do what I wanted and it actually worked fine with one small caveat.  Since I do not need to set the light levels in this particular room I made them all the same code, which is the same house code that I use on the wireless device.  So when I hit D5 all three devices turn on and off.  Great  :)  The one thing I still cannot figure out though is this.  Since are the codes are emanating from the CM15A why, oh why does this part happen.  Like I said when I hit D5 on the remote all the lights come on.  I have a macro that not only turns that room on but it turns on a couple of other rooms.  When I hit the button for that macro the only light that turns on is the plug in module, the two wall switches do not turn on. Since the signal is coming from the same source (CM15A) why don't all the lights turn on.  Doesn't make a lot of sense to me.  If noise is present it should effect both signals.  If the distance is an issue it should effect both signals.  Signed, Confused. 

JBL11554

« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2014, 03:11:30 PM »

Well I was an electronic technician for over 30 years with the federal government.  And just like the radios, alarms, cctv, data stuff, etc I used to work on I referred to it all as FM, Freakin' Magic or F**king Magic depending on what you prefer.  And apparently the X10 stuff kind of falls into the same realm.  It is not a perfect electronic world so things happen that defy rational explanation.   

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2014, 05:55:56 PM »

Are the modules on the same address a mixture of older and newer Soft Start modules?

JBL11554

« Reply #10 on: November 26, 2014, 01:46:14 PM »

Well I checked and the two wall switches are WS477 (non-dimable) and the plugin module is a AM14A.

JBL11554

« Reply #11 on: November 26, 2014, 01:56:37 PM »

Well I had the wrong selection for one of the wall switches.  So I corrected that in AHP and the problem still exists.  The AM14A turns on but neither of the wall switches do when I use a macro containing D5 to turn them on.  But, when I press D5 on (which is the House/Unit setting for all three) the wireless remote, all three turn on and off.

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.