Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Correct operation of X10 with different HC's  (Read 1894 times)

bkenobi

• PI Expert
  • Helpful Post Rating: 24
Correct operation of X10 with different HC's
« on: January 15, 2015, 11:20:20 AM »

I was curious if there is anything written in the standard that indicates how X10 modules should operate when different house codes are used in the same area.  Specifically, if you were to send the following commands, what should theoretically happen:

Code: [Select]
A1
AON
B1
BON
AOFF

I'm curious if modules simply ignore anything that isn't from their own set HC or would they "reset" and require a HC/UC command be sent prior to the command?  I can test this with my own modules, but I was hoping there might be an official statement in the spec since that's what every module should be designed for even if mine work differently.

My guess (which is all I can do without an official spec) is that modules set to HC A will ignore anything from other HC's.  This would be especially important if more than one system was set up in a shared electrical zone.  If one person were to use HC A, then someone else could use HC B without any impact, correct?

Note:  I think I asked this or a variation of this question about a year ago, but I can't find that thread for some reason (too many to sort through I guess).

dhouston

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 37
    • davehouston.org
Re: Correct operation of X10 with different HC's
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2015, 01:34:06 PM »

See ADDRESS/FUNCTION atop p2 of...
http://davehouston.org/X10%20xtdcode.pdf
This message was composed entirely from recycled letters of the alphabet using only renewable, caffeinated energy sources.
No twees, wabbits, chimps or whales died in the process.
https://www.laser.com/dhouston

bkenobi

• PI Expert
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2015, 02:09:22 PM »

Excellent, that's what I needed.  That makes sense except that it doesn't explicitly state that an address on a different house code will or will not "unaddress" the previously "addressed" modules.  Since it's a different HC, I could see modules simply ignoring all other communication and only listening for it's HC.  But, I could see it potentially being implemented where any HC could "unaddress" as well.  In that respect, the spec seems a little ambiguous (to me anyway).

dhouston

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 37
    • davehouston.org
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2015, 02:44:50 PM »

I see no ambiguity in, "It becomes 'unaddressed' by the first 'address' message after a
command...".
This message was composed entirely from recycled letters of the alphabet using only renewable, caffeinated energy sources.
No twees, wabbits, chimps or whales died in the process.
https://www.laser.com/dhouston

bkenobi

• PI Expert
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2015, 05:25:02 PM »

Fair enough.  Thanks!

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.