Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: XTB-232 reliability  (Read 5991 times)

toasterking

• Helpful Post Rating: 11
  • We adore chaos because we love to produce order.
XTB-232 reliability
« on: March 25, 2015, 09:52:14 AM »

JV Digital Engineering makes the XTB-232, which is a replacement for X10's late CM11A ActiveHome PC Interface.  It includes the real-time computer interface but not the timer or offline storage/execution of macros.  I bought the XTB-232 in kit form and assembled it myself using Jeff's detailed instructions.

I write my own scripts for X10 and use the ActiveHome Scripting SDK to control the PC interface.  For the most part, my X10 CM15A worked great, but aside from the occasional odd reset procedure a couple of times a year, I also found that communication would suddenly cease with no warning or explanation and I would have to restart the x10nets (X10 Network Device Service) to resume communication.  This happened 2-3 times per month.  I know that this has happened to other people, but I haven't seen a lot of discussion about it.

When the CM15A had to be discontinued due to production problems, the old X10WTI added support for their older PC interface, the CM11A, to ActiveHome Pro and the ActiveHome Scripting SDK.  When my CM15A died, I switched to a CM11A as a replacement and continued using the SDK.  It worked, but the problem became more frequent -- I found myself restarting x10nets 3-4 times per week.  I blamed X10's rushed implementation of the CM11A in the software and maybe my USB-RS232 serial adapter, but didn't spend much time troubleshooting.

Knowing that the CM11A has some hardware and firmware bugs and wanting to rule this out anyway, I ordered the XTB-232 from JVDE since they have an excellent record of consistently developing some of the most innovative and reliable X10 gear available and issuing frequent updates to their products in the field to improve their performance.  Once I replaced the CM11A with the XTB-232, and making no other changes in my setup, my problem disappeared completely.  That was about 4 months ago.  The server to which the XTB-232 is connected gets rebooted once a month for Windows updates, but other than that, I have not had to manually restart the service a single time.

Whatever the problem was, it must have been in the hardware or firmware.  The XTB-232 has been significantly more reliable than either interface from X10.  Although I haven't needed to troubleshoot the XTB-232's connection, the possibility of doing so is also made easier by the multicolor LED on its case which indicates powerline sync, X10 reception, X10 transmission, and X10 or serial errors.  Once again, JVDE has shown X10 how to make X10 work.  It is a small firm driven by the passion of one man whose skill and dedication always shines through in its products.

joe s.

• Helpful Post Rating: 4
Re: XTB-232 reliability
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2015, 12:33:50 PM »

I'm not surprised by your comments.  I too am a very happy user of the XTB-232 (used in conjunction with HCA software).  I bought mine assembled.  I had CM15A originally also; but it would occasionally "code-storm" the system.  Also, CM15A seemed to randomly mis-interpret powerline codes, which made writing programs in response to those codes a bit pointless.

I've had the XTB-232 running for about a year - and its solid.  It does none of the weird stuff listed above.

JeffVolp

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 122
    • XTB Home Page
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2015, 04:17:16 PM »

Wow, thank you!

Jeff
X-10 automation since the BSR days

dave w

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 139
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2015, 05:28:57 PM »

After 28 years in the quality and training departments of a major elctronics company who developed Six Sigma, won the first Malcom Baldrige award, was ISO 9000(9004) and number 20 in the Fortune 500,  I can attest that JVDE does not cut corners, does not take shortcuts, designs to the highest standards, uses high quality components, and does not marginalize specs or component tolerances.

A Jeff Volp product is made to last.

Nope, i got no connection to Jeff or JVDE. This is NOT a paid political announcement  ;)
"This aftershave makes me look fat"

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.