Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: New Units Not Responding...Sometimes.  (Read 1418 times)

DocBrown86

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
New Units Not Responding...Sometimes.
« on: April 25, 2015, 02:59:36 PM »

I am attempting at using X10 to control a single room. The room is about 10 feet from the AHP module.
All of my hardware is new (as of 3 weeks ago). I have:
3 - XPDF units
2 - XPFM units
The XPDFs are controlling light bulbs, the XPFMs are controlling a bathroom fan and a heater.
I am using the 16 button PHR03 remote.
Here is my problem. For a week everything worked fine. Now I am experiencing gremlins... Today I turned on one light and now I have no response from anything other than the virtual buttons on the AHP software screen. The light will not shut off and nothing else will turn on.
I have tried re-downloading the macros which shouldn't effect the main light. I have unplugged the transceiver for 30 seconds and plugged it back in. Nothing.
The only thing that had some effect was removing power to the main light, which upon restoring power the light stayed off. However, as soon as I turned it back on with the remote, it froze in that state again.
After 1 hour of me doing nothing, it has randomly all started responding again. This is not the first time this has happened though, so I need to figure out what is going on. The other times were slightly varied versions of this (ie the fan not powering off, or on etc).

dave w

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 139
Re: New Units Not Responding...Sometimes.
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2015, 05:08:13 PM »

"Sometimes it works, sometimes it "is a perfect description of an electrical noise problem or perhaps lack of phase coupling.
These links may help:
http://jvde.us/x10_troubleshooting.htm
http://kbase.x10.com/wiki/Main_Page
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/X10_(industry_standard)#X10_protocol
"This aftershave makes me look fat"

DocBrown86

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2015, 09:01:04 PM »

Looks like some very interesting and informative reading. Thanks! I know it's not a phase issue as it is all on the same phase, but the noise problem sounds like a good possibility. It looks like I'll have some good places to start troubleshooting from.

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2015, 09:40:29 AM »

Could also be signal suckers. I have LCD TV and have run tests with the XTBM. My system system has an XTB-IIR cpupler repeater on it so the signal strength is very good. In the whole house. With the LCD TV unplugged the XTBM reads around 9.75 volts X10 signal. Plug in the LCD TV and the level drops to around 7 volts.In the same outlet.

Computing equipment and UPS units are known to cause issues and an X10 filter maybe needed.
I have a Smarthome FilterLinc on my UPS and my automation interface in the unfiltered outlet on it front cover.

It is also possible the XPFM and XPDF units are not on the same branch circuit. Most rooms have more than one circuit in a room. Have you turned off the breaker and seen all the modules including the AHP CM15A go Off?
« Last Edit: April 26, 2015, 09:45:16 AM by Brian H »

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.