Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: CM11A not communicating with PC/AHP - can't turns lights on/off  (Read 5680 times)

snave1

• Helpful Post Rating: 0

I only have a few lamp and appliance modules used for controlling pond plant lights and pumps in the winter, indoor mood/security lights in the foyer, etc.  I had X10 (as I call it) running on a spare Win-XP which was decommissioned and I then tried to install X10 on my Win7 PC but received an error that it’s not 64bit compliant.  After 20 years of searching I was finally able to find/installed AHP (version 3.318), however, it does not seem to communicate with my CM11A… yes it connects to a serial port with a phone cable and a I believe a CM17A Firecracker Interface which barely fits into place as this thing is a chunky-chew and presses against the PC housing.  I would upgrade to the USB interface but fear I’ll have the same issue, and the USB interface appears to be $80 bucks  :o

After installing AHD I ran the Wizard, where it tests communication by turning a light off/on that is connected to a lamp module set to A1, the test didn’t work but when tried it again later I discovered after turning on the lamp module I would have click the switch on the lamp for it turn on.  Turn module off then on, would have to click the switch on the lamp, seemed strange but communications must be working, just something goofy with the module or lamp is what figured.  However, after a week went by I discover my timers are not turning lights off/on at the proper times so I come back to AHP to see what’s up.  Now I can’t get things to turn off/on via AHP, even thru the Wizard, so maybe I was crazy the first time when I though this worked.

> Somewhere in AHP I had to configure it so it knew I was using the CM11A, however, for the life of me I can’t figure out where I did this.

> With the CM11A connected to my PC, I can’t control anything yet Wizard seems to indicate the communication bridge is there.  Unplug CM11A from PC, run Wizard, same results as the stupid thing is still indicating communications is in place. ERR!   On the old software there was an option to test communications and you knew if it worked or not, new version sucks.

> Under Tools – CM11 Configuration and have tried both options listed, COM1 and COM3.  Checked in Device Manager and both of those com ports are enabled and listed as working properly.

> Under Tools – Hardware Interface, I’m monitoring the House Code A, which is what my devices are set under.  For giggles, checked off A thru L since AHP kept reverting back to L.  Also, if I click Update Interface it will come back with “Downloading of Macros and Timers is complete” so yes it must be communicating with CM11A… NOT!!  It will say this with the unit unplugged.

I don’t what else to check or test, open to suggestions.

dave w

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 139
Re: CM11A not communicating with PC/AHP - can't turns lights on/off
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2015, 04:57:05 PM »

Not sure I understand everything you saying. However maybe shotgun troubleshooting will help.

When you turn on a lamp using AHP, You click the light ON and AHP shows the light turning ON, on screen. But that is only AHP indicating it thinks the light should be ON because it sent an ON command to the lamp module over the homes powerlines. Unfortunately a lot of conditions can prevent the command from actually reaching the light. The fact that AHP indicates the light is on does not verify communication. Electrical noise on the powerline or bad phase coupling is usually the problem.

Also turning, say a table lamp plugged in to a Lamp Module, ON with the local switch on the lamp will cause the Lamp Module to provide power to the lamp, thus it comes on. But that module change in status does not get fed back to AHP, so AHP will think the light is still off.

Maybe these links will help.
http://jvde.us/x10_troubleshooting.htm#x10_troubleshooting
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/X10_(industry_standard)#X10_protocol
http://kbase.x10.com/wiki/Main_Page
"This aftershave makes me look fat"

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2015, 06:04:29 PM »

Take a problem module and connect it to the same outlet as the CM11A. See if anything changes.

As pointed out. The modules are receive only and have no way to send back a local On or Off command to the CM11A.
Now if you had the old two way LM14A or AM14A modules. That would respond to a status request.

The CM11A was added to AHP when the CM15A was not available. I never found it was 100% OK when using a CM11A.

One more thing. The later Lamp Modules had soft start {ramp On and Off not instant On and Off}.

If your modules are before the soft start was added to the lamp modules.
Use the drop down module list for Older Lamps (No Soft Start). If you used the Lamp Drop down list. AHP is trying to send extended x10 commands to an old lamp module that does not process them.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2015, 06:25:39 PM by Brian H »

JeffVolp

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 122
    • XTB Home Page
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2015, 07:03:20 PM »

I would upgrade to the USB interface but fear I’ll have the same issue, and the USB interface appears to be $80 bucks  :o

The XTB-232 emulates the CM11A serial interface.  I tested that with both an expensive Edgeport USB adapter and a very inexpensive adapter picked up on eBay.  Both worked fine.

FYI:  We have a few OEM Edgeport/1 USB adapters (cable version, hardware only) available for a very good price.

Jeff
X-10 automation since the BSR days

dhouston

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 37
    • davehouston.org
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2015, 07:27:17 AM »

I would upgrade to the USB interface but fear I’ll have the same issue, and the USB interface appears to be $80 bucks
I have done extensive testing of USB-Serial adaptors sold by Byterunner. Any adapters that use FTDI or Prolific chipsets should be OK with a CM11A. (Most of these are plug'n'play under Windows, Linux and OSX.)
http://www.byterunner.com/byterunner/category=USB+to+Single+Serial+Adapters/exact_match=exact

There are some newer adapters using the CH340 chip (which is also used onboard many Arduino clones) for which you will need to locate/install drivers. I have one but haven't gotten around to testing it.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/USB-to-CH340-chipset-RS232-Serial-DB9-Converter-Cable-For-Win-7-64-Mac-/231237604501

I do not recall whether I ever tested any USB-Serial adapters with a Firecracker (CM17A) but that may prove problematic due to its extremely unconventional interface, described in Section 1 here...
http://home.comcast.net/~ncherry/common/cm17a.html
You need access to RTS & DTR lines. Not all adapters provide these lines. There may also be speed issues.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2015, 10:33:26 AM by dhouston »
This message was composed entirely from recycled letters of the alphabet using only renewable, caffeinated energy sources.
No twees, wabbits, chimps or whales died in the process.
https://www.laser.com/dhouston

Brian H

• Community Organizer
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2015, 09:36:41 AM »

I just reread your post.
You are not trying to use both the CM17A and CM11A on the same serial port at the same time are you?

snave1

« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2015, 05:05:22 PM »

Good news as well as sort of good news.

First, I included pictures of what I'm talking about when it comes to the CM11A and CM17A firecrackers, CM11A (http://www.thex10shop.com/product/x10-genuine-cm11a-activehome-serial-computer-interface) and CM17A (http://www.thex10shop.com/product/x10-x-10-firecracker-serial-computer-interface-cm17a) and I believe over the years I forgot what purpose they server, just got used it working and never looked back as it did what I needed... until I upgraded my PC to Win7.

I have the CM11A plugged into an outlet, phone line cable with serial port connector then plugs into the CM17A, CM17A is plugged into the PC serial port.  For some reason I always thought it had to be setup this way in order for me to program the CM11A module but perhaps I'm wrong.

I removed the CM17A, reinstalled AHP_3.318, and now to my surprised I can control lights with the AHP interface, well sort of as I'll explain below the craziness.  The good news, I'm communicating to modules so as least I know things are freaking working.

Craziness 1:  Lamp module with a small light plugged into it.  From the interface I click on, and the light does NOT go on but I can go over to it and turn the rotating switch on the lamp and it turns on, which means the module is in the "on" position and supplying electricity.  Now with the light physically on I got back to the interface and click off and the light physically goes off.  I setup a timer under Timer Designer and the light goes physically on/off... most of the time, I keep playing with resetting the on/off times. 

Craziness 2: Lamp module 2, fluorescent lights for my pond plants, I can click on/off from the interface and lights physically go on/off as needed.  Setup a timer, but the lights don't go on.  Interface says they are on but physically they are not.  One time it did go on via timer. I did notice that if I delete the timer, create a new, I seem to have better results with things physically going on/off but it's still hit and miss. 

Each time I change the on/off time I click save, then clear interface memory, then download timers and macros.  Maybe I should be doing something different?  Does the product need to be registered in order for things to work better?  Don't get why it's hot then cold, and more cold then hot. In fact now it seems nothing is turning on via timer. 

Brian H

• Community Organizer
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2015, 06:52:51 PM »

#1. Does the Lamp Module go On instantly Old Lamps (NO Soft Start) or are Soft Start that ramp On and Off?
If the Lamp Modules go On and Off instantly and are not soft start. You must use the Older Lamps (No Soft Start) drop down list in AHP or you will get the symptoms you described. As the new Soft Start lamp modules use Extended X10 messages to turn On. That the older ones do not understand.

#2 Never use a Lamp Module to control a florescent light. They are not designed for that kind of load.
An Appliance Module is what is designed for that type of load.

I believe the download to a CM11A does not work correctly and was never addressed as X10WTI went belly up and the new owners have not changed anything as far as I know. Other than getting a way to not have to register AHP. On the out of service X10WTI servers.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2015, 06:58:19 PM by Brian H »

snave1

« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2015, 08:49:40 PM »

Thank you Brian H. for your spot on advice, wish I could buy you a beer you made my day especially after dealing with my crappy boss.  This has me 85% of the way there I believe, maybe 98%.

For issue #1 - I changed the setting for my Lamp Module to "Older Lamps (no SoftStart) and now the light goes off/on when click on/off in AHP... and the Timer is turning it on/off as well as at the set time value.    :)%  I could not be more happy, I honestly figured my stuff would never work again.

For issue #2 - I set AHP to "no softstart" and now I can actually turn the light on/off via AHP.  However, the Timer was not doing the same.  So I then checked to see if I'm using a lamp mod or appliance and to my surprise I'm using an appliance mod, 3 pin.  Like I mentioned, I set this stuff long ago, it worked, never looked back.  So I set the AHP module to Appliance Mod (3-pin) and everything works, control it via AHP and the Timer it switching it on/off. 

So why 85%... now to figure out why my Motion Detector Floodlights (2 pair - east side of house and west) will go on and never go off. So I'll setup some timers to periodically turn off the floods in case they are on, a crappy work around but it's a workaround.  At one point I thought I figured it out, I flipped all the "Sensor In/Out" settings to the opposite side and for the longest time the issue went away. Then one day the east light would go on and stay on but the west light continues to work just fine.  I figure it's just noise in the electric line and triggers it to go on hence my workaround.  Hopefully it works.

Now to download timers/macros, shutdown the PC, and see if the CM11A will do its job.
 >!

migold

« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2015, 01:40:26 PM »

Thanks to those who posted the information above.  I have successfully installed AHP on my WIN 7 PC and have it controlling 2 appliance modules and a lamp module.  I have an HD11A connected through a TRENDnet TU-S9 USB to Serial Converter to connect to the PC.  I am really glad to have my old modules working again.   :)%

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.