Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Decommissioning X10  (Read 2057 times)

DannyKudos

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
Decommissioning X10
« on: September 20, 2015, 11:12:50 AM »

Hello

The previous owners of our house installed X10 for all the lighting. Up in the loft there are a few consumer units with din rail dimmers. These are controlled by rocker light switches which raise and lower the dimming of appropriate lights as you hold in the switch. We also have a transceiver unit and remote... so can control the lights by remote.

We are now having the loft converted so we have a choice of either moving all the consumer units to a different place in the loft, or (possibly) decommissioning the X10 altogether.

To be honest, we really never use the light remote, so it is a feature that is wasted on us. The CU/switches installation in the loft is VERY messy (spaghetti mess of cables), so moving the units may well be far from straight forward.

How difficult would it be to just de-commission X10 if we wanted to ? Is there a way of removing the din rail switches and replacing the rocker switches with standard dimmers/switches ? Don't worry, I plan to get a qualified electrician to actually do all this.... I just need to know if its possible, of if my only option is re-sighting the consumer units.

Thanks !

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
Re: Decommissioning X10
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2015, 01:32:48 PM »

We don't have DIN rail X10 modules here in the US.
Are you in a European Country or maybe the modules are not from X10 but another manufacturer using X10 protocol.

Can you read a model number off of a DIN Rail module and post it?

DannyKudos

« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2015, 02:06:12 PM »

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2015, 03:24:09 PM »

So the rocker switches in the rooms. Send a signal up to the module racks and the lights are all wired into the modules at the module racks and not the actual rocker switches locations.

An electrician maybe able to give you information on using the control wires at the rocker switches to be wired into the loads that look like they are all on the DIN rail module racks.

DannyKudos

« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2015, 04:05:15 PM »

That's how I thought it "might" be able to be done....

dhouston

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 37
    • davehouston.org
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2015, 05:35:09 PM »

Here is the actual (scarey) installation !
Scary as in dangerous - especially so with 230VAC. I'd get an electrician ASAP.
This message was composed entirely from recycled letters of the alphabet using only renewable, caffeinated energy sources.
No twees, wabbits, chimps or whales died in the process.
https://www.laser.com/dhouston

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.