Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: PcCompanion won't open  (Read 7213 times)

Mikey8s

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
PcCompanion won't open
« on: October 08, 2015, 11:45:50 AM »

I have had x10 products in my home since the 90s. I currently have the Marmitek version of AHP on my computer. Recently, I downloaded Tuicemen's PcCompanion but I cannot get the program to open. The download on my Windows 7 computer was successful and the icon is on the desktop, but when I click on it, nothing happens. I have made sure that my firewall allows the program. Is there a way that I do not know about to open this program ? I am a novice at computer programming and I cannot read computer code, but I can follow explicit instructions. Can anyone help me with this ?

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
Re: PcCompanion won't open
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2015, 02:20:22 PM »

I am sure you will get some answers here.
Have you also looked in Tuicemen's Forums for added information?
There is a whole section on PcCompanion.
http://tuicemen.com/forum/

Mikey8s

« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2015, 02:40:45 PM »

I tried to join Tuicemen's forum,  but they have not yet approved my application.  I understand that Tuicemen does a lot of hunting  and he may not have access to a computer right now. I have looked at everything about PC companion on his forum, but it does not solve my problem. Plus, I don't understand a lot of the computer programmer jargon.

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2015, 06:11:27 AM »

I looked at some of the troubleshooting tips.
The preliminary information below. May assist someone using PcCompanion to help you.
Do you have Net Framework on the computer and what version?
Do you know if you have the AHP SDK programs installed?
What version of the European AHP do you have installed?

Mikey8s

« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2015, 10:21:56 AM »

I have version 3.316 of AHP, when I have tried to install .net 4 framework, computer tells me  that it is already installed.  The SDK is installed as well.  The AHP works well.  All of my modules turn on and off as programmed.  My computer is a HP  pavilion desktop that  originally had a vista operating system, but I installed Windows 7 over top of it.  The Windows 7 program works well and gives me no problems.

Tuicemen

• Administrator
  • Helpful Post Rating: 282
  • I don't work for X10, I use it successfuly!
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2015, 08:08:34 AM »

I've just returned from a hunting trip and sent out activation email for users that attempted to register last week

Windows introduced some security protocol for programs installed into the programs files folder which can cause some users issues on first use.
If you have it installed in the C:\PROGRAM FILES\PcCompanion or C:\PROGRAM FILES(x86)\PcCompanion  move it to c:\PcCompanion

Also with some users having initial setup I included a mysettings.xml file in the setup Unfortunately this causes issues for others try deleting or renaming it then attempt to open PcCompanion
 >!
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

Mikey8s

« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2015, 09:07:30 AM »

PcCompanion on my computer was never installed in the program files, it is under c:/. When I click on the desktop icon (run as administrator) a security box opens asking me would I like for this program to make changes to this computer. I always click "Yes" and a PcComanion icon appears in the tray at the bottom right on the screen, but if I attempt to click on it, the icon disappears when the cursor gets near it. Nothing else happens, the program does not open. In attempts to open this program, I have spent hours scouring the Internet for a solution, but so far, nothing helps. I have uninstalled and reinstalled this program three times with the same results.  I even attempted to install it on a second Windows 7 computer, the same thing happens on this one as well. The main reason I wanted this  program to start with, is to be able to to monitor the six X2 cameras around my house.  From what I've read about PCCompanion, it seems to be a great program if I could only get it to work.

Tuicemen

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2015, 09:57:17 AM »

The most likely issue is the mysettings.xml file located in the root folder of PcCompanion
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

Mikey8s

« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2015, 12:31:39 PM »

I deleted the .xml file, that did the trick.  The program came up.  Now I am having trouble with my x2 cameras.  The video that I get is only flickering horizontal lines. The VA12a is plugged in and operational, the video receiver is plugged into the va12a.  I've tried moving around the antenna, but that does not work either.  I get the same results on the ispy  program that I also have downloaded. The VA12a settings are for channel 4.  Is there anything else I can try ?  Anyway, I am very pleased to finally have the PC companion program working and I'm sure I will have a lot of fun trying to figure it out.  :)%

Tuicemen

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2015, 12:53:27 PM »

Good to know that fixed the start up issue.
The channel needs to be the same on the cameras as the video receiver.
I believe the x10 wiki has info on doing this
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

Tuicemen

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2015, 01:02:24 PM »

You may also wish to drop the Marmittek version and download the North American AHP version to get the video plugin.
Note you'd need AHP Lifejacket to get rid of the registration nag
This may mean you wouldn't need a third party camera software.
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

Mikey8s

« Reply #11 on: October 11, 2015, 04:25:28 PM »

Do you mean the AHP 3.318 from the x10 website ?  I downloaded it today. How do I access the camera plugin ?
If I have downloaded the correct version that you speak of, then I wil also download the AHP Lifejacket. I still have not been able to get the cameras working. I have another video receiver hooked up to my TV and the reception is clear, could it possibly be a problem with the va12a or the driver?

Tuicemen

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: October 11, 2015, 04:42:26 PM »

Yes you will need AHP lifejacket to get the video plugin (iwitness/iwatchout)

Is the video receiver on your TV set to the Same channel as the PC one?
The antennas on both the cameras and the receiver need to be pointed at each other.
Also there may be  something affecting  the line of sight transmission of the signal to the PC.
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

Mikey8s

« Reply #13 on: October 11, 2015, 07:30:09 PM »

Mr Tuicemen,
       I was successful in downloading AHP lifejacket and installing it.  I had no idea what I was doing, but it worked ! The nag screen is gone and I also was able to access the camera plugin  where I can view my cameras in AHP. They still do not work with the PcCompanion program, I must have something wrong in settings,  I will have to do some experimenting.  I am very impressed with the AHP lifejacket program. Your "Help" button was very simple and instructive, especially for someone like me who knows nothing about computer programming. Thank you so much for helping me !  #:)

Tuicemen

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: October 11, 2015, 07:45:06 PM »

Glad to hear I was some what helpful,

If they work in AHP they should be viewable in PCC.
However due to the windows media driver only one program can access the video at one time and is usually the first program opened.
There is a section on the forum dedicated to the video plugin http://forums.x10.com/index.php?board=13.0 you will find helpful info there.
also there is info on the video plugin in the X10Wiki http://kbase.x10.com/wiki/IWatchOut
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!
Pages: [1] 2

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.