Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: AF120 15A plug in filter (fuses)  (Read 1329 times)

Tony Olson

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
AF120 15A plug in filter (fuses)
« on: December 17, 2015, 08:25:01 AM »

For years now I've used a number of these filters on power strips, refrigerators micro waves etc.

On occasion an appliance (like my microwave this am) will fail and after taking the filter off and plugging the appliance back in everything is fine.

I replaced the fuse in the filter and tried it again (on different appliances). It fails to work - it could be my choice of fuses is wrong or the AF120 is no longer functional. If I thought the AF120 is probably shot (this has happened before over the years) I have replacements.

Thanks.

Tony

Tony

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
Re: AF120 15A plug in filter (fuses)
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2015, 01:04:54 PM »

The fuse is a 15 amp Slow Blow, type.
If you used a normal style fuse. It may open up on some loads starting currents.
If you did use a slow blow type. It may have something else wrong in it.

Is it completely dead or just not filtering properly?

I have seen a schematic of the AF120 and if it is not filtering correctly. There is a safety fuse inside it to protect against the capacitor across the Line to Neutral shorting. It would stop the filter from being effective but it would still pass power from the input to the output.

If it is completely dead. I would suspect a bad solder joint finally opening up. The coils themselves look heavy and I don't think you could burn one open.

Tony Olson

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
Re: AF120 15A plug in filter (fuses)
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2015, 01:38:34 PM »

Thanks Brian for the reply. I have the 15 amp slow blow type fuse. The AF120 appears to be completely dead. I've used these filters on power strips that are attached to HDTVs, fridges, microwaves etc. They for the most part last a long time.

I image it's a bad solder joint as you suggested. Now thanks to you I have a little knowledge about the AF120.

Again thanks.

Tony

Tony

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.