Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]

Author Topic: modified through-hole cm15a  (Read 47495 times)

JeffVolp

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 122
    • XTB Home Page
Re: modified through-hole cm15a
« Reply #60 on: March 22, 2016, 10:14:06 AM »

Basically they stated if the community were to take on creating a prototype and develop the needed software they would look at manufacturing. ::) :'

I contacted them about taking over production and sale of the XTB-IIR and XTB-ANR, but it doesn't look like that will happen.

Jeff
« Last Edit: March 22, 2016, 10:16:01 AM by JeffVolp »
X-10 automation since the BSR days

bkenobi

• PI Expert
  • Helpful Post Rating: 24
« Reply #61 on: March 22, 2016, 11:21:35 AM »

If X10 sold the XTB-IIR to the public, they would regain significant market share as it is THE solution to signal issues.  The only other way X10 could make their systems as reliable would be to have each module act as a repeater.  However, that would certainly have significant cost implications per module, so may not be the best option.

Tuicemen

• Administrator
  • Helpful Post Rating: 282
  • I don't work for X10, I use it successfuly!
« Reply #62 on: March 23, 2016, 09:14:01 AM »

As you know, I offered to modify the new SMD design (for free) for them to produce if they would provide the gerber files for the existing SMD design. (Even if they do not have the gerbers, the company that manufactured the CM15A would, along with the parts list.) That would have retained their power supply and PLC interface hardware, replacing the MCU and RF receiver while adding TTL interfaces for external (and externally powered) WiFi & BT modules (their power supply cannot handle these if internal). The new RF receiver would qualify for self-testing and the other changes would not materially affect their UL status. And, using the Atmel ATmega328P MCU (used in the Arduino UNO) would make community provided firmware & software practical as well as make it attractive to a few billion Arduino acolytes around the world. Plus, it would use the same plastic enclosure with only slight modification.

They never responded so I resurrected my design that modifies the old through-hole CM15A figuring there might be some in the community with spare through-hole CM15As who might be interested.
I didn't realize they never got back to you.
Last I heard was finding the files shouldn't be to difficult and it was to be discussed with the owner.
It is possible the discussion never happened in any case you should have been informed.
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

Tuicemen

• Administrator
« Reply #63 on: March 23, 2016, 09:21:27 AM »

I contacted them about taking over production and sale of the XTB-IIR and XTB-ANR, but it doesn't look like that will happen.

Jeff
I was lead to believe the owner liked the idea of handling some of your hardware however they didn't mention the specific hardware which interested them.
You may wish to contact the owner again once the Wi-Fi unit is released as it seems most of their resources are tied up in it.
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

dhouston

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 37
    • davehouston.org
« Reply #64 on: March 23, 2016, 01:40:49 PM »

I just received a dozen bare PCBs for the CM15A mod - air mail only took 11 days. I'll try to build and test a few over the next week or two.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2016, 02:34:13 PM by dhouston »
This message was composed entirely from recycled letters of the alphabet using only renewable, caffeinated energy sources.
No twees, wabbits, chimps or whales died in the process.
https://www.laser.com/dhouston

toasterking

• Helpful Post Rating: 11
  • We adore chaos because we love to produce order.
« Reply #65 on: March 26, 2016, 04:27:43 PM »

If X10 sold the XTB-IIR to the public, they would regain significant market share as it is THE solution to signal issues.  The only other way X10 could make their systems as reliable would be to have each module act as a repeater.  However, that would certainly have significant cost implications per module, so may not be the best option.

Completely agree on the XTB-IIR!  And yes, if every module could act as a repeater and if they could pack in some of the firmware additions that ACT used in their A10 line such as the extended addressing, status reporting, and programmable options, they would have something that could compete with Insteon and still maintain the backward compatibility with older X10 that Insteon used to boast, but without having to design and program for 2 different protocols.  It would still be slower and a little more susceptible to interference than Insteon, but it would be close.  But you're right; it would raise the price significantly.  And at that point, even if they had similar prices to Insteon, what's the motivation for a newbie to choose a similar but slower and older technology over a more modern one?

I think that Dave Houston's idea of building in out-of-the-box Arduino-compatible features is a winner.  It may not significantly stimulate the market for commercial products using X10 but it would give hobbyists a reason to buy X10 modules by the truckload instead of other products.  The thing about home automation standards right now is that there are so many of them.  If one platform can be more compatible with more of those standards, especially if one of them is a trending platform for hobbyists, it will stand out.  If I had a choice, I would of course want all of the above -- built-in repeaters too.

Edit: Changed "Android" to "Arduino" (which is what I meant!)
« Last Edit: March 26, 2016, 05:58:18 PM by toasterking »

dhouston

• Advanced Member
    • davehouston.org
« Reply #66 on: March 26, 2016, 05:49:59 PM »

As I suggested in another thread, they should be looking at what Itead Studio has done...
https://www.itead.cc/sonoff-sv.html
If they built the ESP8266 into all the new switches and modules, they could scoff at powerline noise without adding that much to cost. They could add features while retaining backwards compatibility.

I now have 3 of the relays and their SocketRocket-ish light socket...
https://www.itead.cc/smart-home/sonoff-wifi-wireless-switch.html
https://www.itead.cc/smart-home/slampher-wifi-wireless-light-holder.html
Once I get the CM15A brain transplant working, I hope to play with using the ESP8266 as a WiFi-to-Serial link to it while also controlling these relays and light socket. It opens up a myriad of possibilities.

The ESP8266 truly is an amazing little chip. It can function as an AP and do P2P simultaneously, has most of the standard I/O protocols (UART, I2C, SPI) and much more, including 38kHz IR I/O using the NEC protocol.

There's already a free (but cloudy) building automation application using it with Arduino & RPi.
https://www.supla.org/
« Last Edit: March 27, 2016, 08:53:43 AM by dhouston »
This message was composed entirely from recycled letters of the alphabet using only renewable, caffeinated energy sources.

Noam

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 51
« Reply #67 on: March 29, 2016, 03:27:55 PM »

Basically they stated if the community were to take on creating a prototype and develop the needed software they would look at manufacturing. ::) :'

Jeff
You'll still handle tech support for it though, right? ;)

JeffVolp

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 122
    • XTB Home Page
« Reply #68 on: March 29, 2016, 07:36:10 PM »

Jeff
You'll still handle tech support for it though, right? ;)

Yes, for the foreseeable future.

Some of the components are becoming increasingly difficult to obtain in through-hole versions.  I recently reworked the layout to accept alternates, but now the alternates are being discontinued too.  We did pick up a large supply, so we are OK for now.

The next step is surface-mount and machine assembly.  That is something I don't want to take on by myself.

Jeff
X-10 automation since the BSR days

dhouston

• Advanced Member
    • davehouston.org
« Reply #69 on: April 21, 2016, 12:38:06 PM »

While I have a dozen bare PCBs for the CM15A2Z, my ongoing spinal cord travails have kept me from populating and testing. Any movement of head or limbs has been troublesome for the past few weeks.

Consequently, I have requested a quote for a small batch of assembled boards. If the quote is not outrageous, I'll order them and create/test the firmware. If it works and there's enough interest to justify the cost it can go forward.

Gus Dattilo (who designed the PLC Amp) has offered to test one.
https://www.laser.com/dhouston/plc-amp.html
Since he is a C/C++ guy, I'll see if he might want to write the Arduino firmware.

He has also updated the PLC Amp design. I'll try to update the web page once I update the CM15A2Z page.

dhouston

• Advanced Member
    • davehouston.org
« Reply #70 on: May 19, 2016, 08:24:49 PM »

I'm afraid there has been minimal progress on the hardware side. I have several medical appointments over the next 6 weeks. Hopefully, I can spend more time on this once those are out of the way.

There has, however, been a very encouraging development on the firmware side. Anywhere Software (Basic4Android, Basic4iOS, Basic4Java) has recently released Basic4Arduino (B4R) a freeware package that supports Arduino and with ESP8266 support under active development. They have a tutorial for the HC-05 Bluetooth module as well. It's almost like they were looking over my shoulder at the list of devices I plan to support for the CM15A2Z.

Anyway, it means we can open things up so that anyone who wishes can create their own firmware using B4R and it means the CM15A2Z can be upgraded in the field. Plus, it will simplify support should I become totally incapacitated. I'll be able to release my B4R code as open source and I won't need to install the ZBasic bootloader on each CM15A2Z which further simplifies things.

https://www.b4x.com/index.html

Tuicemen

• Administrator
« Reply #71 on: May 20, 2016, 08:00:10 AM »

This (Anywhere Software) is awesome!
The cm15a2z will be unbeatable!
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

dhouston

• Advanced Member
    • davehouston.org
« Reply #72 on: May 20, 2016, 08:40:39 AM »

This (Anywhere Software) is awesome!
I agree - I've had a B4A (Basic4Android) license since they first started.

dhouston

• Advanced Member
    • davehouston.org
« Reply #73 on: May 20, 2016, 10:05:03 AM »

Blumoo looks like it might be a viable controller option. I've asked them if there's a way to import CCF files.
http://www.blumoo.com/
I think it is cloud based, however.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.