Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Motion Sensor Not Working  (Read 2975 times)

LST-1162

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
Motion Sensor Not Working
« on: March 14, 2016, 07:41:53 PM »

I recently installed a motion sensor.  I made sure it has fresh batteries.  The lights will come on from my PC and remote, but not when motion is detected.  The PC and remote are only less than 15 ft from the sensor.  I want to thank all who reply with a solution.  It will be greatly appreciated.

Tuicemen

• Administrator
  • Helpful Post Rating: 282
  • I don't work for X10, I use it successfuly!
Re: Motion Sensor Not Working
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2016, 10:05:49 PM »

You don't say what type of motion sensor.
Security?
Which PC interface are you using? cm15?
Have you configured AHP to transceiver the house code your attempting to use the motion sensor with? 
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

LST-1162

« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2016, 11:44:36 PM »

I am using 1 CM15A along with 1 Active Eye Motion Sensor (Outdoor).  There is no rhyme or reason for the way it works (or in some instances, doesn't work).  I don't know of anyone else using AHP equipment near me.  The closest is 3 floors away and about 50 feet down the hall of that floor.  The setup I have at home works fine.  Is there anything I can do to rectify this situation?  A filter or something?  Again, thanks for your help.

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2016, 06:19:23 AM »

The CM15A has a reputation for poor X10 RF signal reception.
You maybe just too far from the CM15A to have reliable reception. Though 15 feet to the CM15A should be fine.
A search here will find a few threads on extending a CM15A's RF reception. If needed.

If there are any metal objects between the motion sensor and the CM15A that could be an issue.
If the motion sensor is mounted on a metal surface that also can cause issues.

You may want to look at this. For some reference information.
https://www.laser.com/dhouston/X10_feng_shui.html

If you have power line issues between the CM15A and the device being controlled.
Jeff has a great set of tutorials on X10 troubleshooting.
http://jvde.us/x10_troubleshooting.htm

Have you verified that the Motion Sensors House Code is set to be transceived in the Tools, Hardware Configuration tab?
I have seen Auto not always be 100% and used specific making sure the house codes needed where enabled.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2016, 07:12:28 AM by Brian H »

joe s.

• Helpful Post Rating: 4
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2016, 11:56:15 AM »

The closest is 3 floors away and about 50 feet down the hall
That's near the limits of a CM15A I would think.  If its inconsistent, it could be noise on the line OR weak RF.

Weak RF can be fixed by adding an RF repeater (SR751) at about the half-way point between your furthest sensor and the CM15A.  The SR751 has recently been re-released & improved.  I personally don't use or need one, but those who have tested it have been impressed.

Tuicemen

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2016, 12:45:17 PM »

I don't know of anyone else using AHP equipment near me.  The closest is 3 floors away and about 50 feet down the hall of that floor. The setup I have at home works fine.
This indicates to me this setup is in an apt or office building which would mean metal studwork, door frames and more .
Lots of metal is a known RF signal blocker a large metal object like a fridge between the two will stop the signal from reaching the CM15.
Have you tested the sensor beside the Cm15 with a clear line of sight between the two?

If it fails to work next to the Cm15 the issue is the sensor.
If it works slowly move farther away keeping the line of sight between the two clear.
The SR751 RF repeater may solve your issue if the sensor is working and it looks like something is blocking the signal.
You would need to keep the line of sight clear between the repeater and the motion sensor as well a clear line of sight from the repeater to the Cm15

Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

LST-1162

« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2016, 05:16:54 PM »

You brought up an idea (metal apartment framing) I hadn't thought of.  My PC is less than 6' from the CM15A.  However, the cable from the CM15A does go from the wall, past a metal table support (about 6" to my PC).  After what you have said, I'm thinking this is my major problem.  Since I have no where else to put it in the 1 bedroom apartment, would some sort of filter either eliminate or greatly improve the signal?  I'm doing this for my lady friend.  I want to make her happy.  Because, as you know, if momma isn't happy, NO ONE IS HAPPY!   :D  Thanks in advance for responding.  I really appreciate the help.

Tuicemen

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2016, 06:00:35 PM »

A filter won't help however a booster/repeater may.
The metal framework shouldn't affect communication between the Cm15 and the PC but will affect communication between the motion sensor and the cm15.
You also need to look at the AHP hardware configuration  and set the transceived house code to specific and check the house codes in use.
Do Not rely on the Auto setting to detect your house codes for you this has been known to not work correctly.
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.