Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Remotely Activate Macro Stored in CM15A?  (Read 4021 times)

jclarkw

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
Remotely Activate Macro Stored in CM15A?
« on: March 29, 2016, 02:20:36 PM »

This is probably a question to which everyone but me knows the answer, but...

I want to activate a macro stored in a CM15A (disconnected from any computer) remotely from another interface (or remote control).  In my case the stored macro is assigned code G12 ON, which only turns a specific lamp on and then off, and was downloaded to the interface in question before disconnecting.  I have connected a second (memory-cleared) CM15A to a computer and sent G12 ON through it (not as easy as it used to be because with AHP Pro it is first necessary to set up a dummy module assigned to G12 and then turn it on).  Nothing happens.

I've also tried sending G12 ON from a radio remote/receiver combination I have that goes up to unit code 16, but again nothing happens.

(When I activate the macro from AHP while the interface is still connected to the interface, it works of course, but I assume this is just because AHP itself is actually running the macro within the computer and sending the necessary commands through the interface.)

There is no problem with poor distribution of signals -- either radio or over the household wiring -- as I can turn the specified lamp on and off from any of the three sources mentioned.

This raises the question of what exactly is meant in Hardware Configuration by Tranceived House Code (currently set to None on both interfaces).  Is this only intended for receiving radio remote commands, or is it necessary for the interface to receive commands (such as G12 ON) over the house wiring?  In any case, turning it on for house code G in the programmed interface has no effect on this issue.

Any clarifications appreciated. -- jclarkw

Tuicemen

• Administrator
  • Helpful Post Rating: 282
  • I don't work for X10, I use it successfuly!
Re: Remotely Activate Macro Stored in CM15A?
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2016, 03:20:56 PM »

Since you have tranceived house codes set to none I assume you have another X10 transceiver which will see g12 and convert it to PLC. If not I doubt your macro would fire even attached to the PC from a RF command.
You also don't say what house code AHP is set to monitor.
Setting it to G may help.
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

Noam

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 51
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2016, 03:32:11 PM »

This may be a dumb question, but is "store in interface" checked on the macro? If not, then it will only work when connected to the computer.

jclarkw

« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2016, 10:04:12 PM »

This may be a dumb question, but is "store in interface" checked on the macro? If not, then it will only work when connected to the computer.

Not at all dumb, but yes, I did happen to remember to check that option. -- jclarkw

jclarkw

« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2016, 10:27:43 PM »

Since you have tranceived house codes set to none I assume you have another X10 transceiver which will see g12 and convert it to PLC. If not I doubt your macro would fire even attached to the PC from a RF command.
You also don't say what house code AHP is set to monitor.
Setting it to G may help.

Tuicemen -- Second point first:  The Monitored House Code is indeed set to G.  Not sure exactly what this option means either (the "Help" only talks about keeping track of module status, nothing about firing macros), but I figured it couldn't hurt...

First point:  I'm not sure exactly what you mean here.  As I buried in the details of my OP, I'm trying to trigger the stored macro in the first (disconnected) CM15A plugged into the AC by two different means, neither of which works:

1) Connecting a second CM15A to the computer and plugging it into the AC, then generating a G12 ON from AHP through it.  I assume this is sending PLC over the AC, since generating a G4 ON by the same approach turns the light in question on.

2) In the RF case I have a battery-powered RF remote (X10 "PalmPad Remote Control" Model HR12A) that's talking to an RF transceiver (IBM "Remote Module" HD501) that's plugged into AC.  Again I can turn the light on directly by pressing the appropriate button on the remote.  (I didn't mention that I long ago disabled the RF capabilities, both sending and receiving, of the first CM15A in hardware in order to get reliable RF control through the HD501 without interference.)

Does this answer your questions? -- jclarkw

Tuicemen

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2016, 08:44:51 AM »

Yep that answers the questions.
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

jclarkw

« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2016, 04:48:15 PM »

Yep that answers the questions.

OK, so I guess this is supposed to work (remotely triggering a macro stored in a CM15A).  Any suggestions about why it doesn't or what else to try? -- jclarkw

Tuicemen

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2016, 05:04:08 PM »

What is the dummy module (type) you assigned to the macro and have you set it to trigger on or off?
I'll attempt to recreate here.
If I remember correctly dummy modules needed to be appliance modules.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2016, 05:29:14 PM by Tuicemen »
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

jclarkw

« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2016, 03:39:27 PM »

What is the dummy module (type) you assigned to the macro and have you set it to trigger on or off?
I'll attempt to recreate here.
If I remember correctly dummy modules needed to be appliance modules.

Tuicemen -- I think you have given me at least part of the answer!  Attached are three images that may cover your questions (short of sending you the .AHX files themselves).  I think you are asking what type of module I've defined for G12 to trigger the macro, since I can't find any module type associated with the macro itself.  There's a picture of these details in one of the three attached files.  (I had inadvertently tried at least one other type, "Heavy Duty Module (15A).")  Another file has the macro definition, and a third, the Hardware Configuration.

BUT there are three developments of interest:

1) After executing the battery-removal reset and re-downloading the hardware configuration and the program that includes the macro to the CM15A, I closed that program in AHP and opened but did not download my simple test file (computer still connected) that did not contain the macro but did contain the same trigger pictured in the attached file.  Turning that trigger module on while connected to the CM15A worked repeatedly!  (I had not tried this test previously.)

I then unplugged the computer from the interface and tried two other tests, as follows:

2) I tried my RF remote, talking to its separate transceiver.  (Remember that the CM15A's RF capabilities have been disabled in hardware and the remote will not actuate it.)  Executing G12 ON from the remote did execute the macro on several tries.  (This had not worked before.)

3) Connecting a different computer to a different CM15A plugged into the wall and executing the trigger described in the picture still did not work.  I added another module of type AM486 (leaving the existing trigger module in place) and set it also to G12.  Turning this ON triggered the macro, but only the first time.  I then tried adding several other kinds of modules, but none of them would trigger it (now including the AM486).  BUT deleting all trigger modules except the AM486 allowed it to work repeatedly.

Tentative conclusions:

A) Something I did during the reset procedure this time around allowed the original (programmed) CM15A to respond to external triggers.  (Go figure...)

B) AM486 modules will trigger the macro from another interface only if there are no other modules of a different type set to the same code.  (I can apparently have more than one AM486 set to G12, and any one of them works as long as no other module types share that code.)

At least my problem appears to be solved for the moment.  Does any of this sound reasonable? -- jclarkw

Tuicemen

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2016, 06:35:59 PM »

B) AM486 modules will trigger the macro from another interface only if there are no other modules of a different type set to the same code.  (I can apparently have more than one AM486 set to G12, and any one of them works as long as no other module types share that code.)

At least my problem appears to be solved for the moment.  Does any of this sound reasonable? -- jclarkw

Yes, I have always used a 2 prong appliance module as the Phantom trigger and never had a issue.
It has been so long since playing with Phantom modules and macros that I have forgotten the exact reasoning.
It may be something to do with extended commands however doing a simple retest now I see lamp modules don't work even the older versions.

Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

Noam

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 51
« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2016, 09:58:23 AM »

... if there are no other modules of a different type set to the same code ...

This has *always* been a problem (for me, at least). Mixing lamp modules and appliance modules (and even mixing soft-start with non-soft-start lamp modules) on the same HouseCode/UnitCode will lead to problems.
Since the commands they respond to are different (at least the "on" ones are - the "off" ones are the same, as far as I know), it won't send more than one type of command at the same time, so some of the modules won't respond (because they are not receiving the right type of command).
To get around this, I either set them on different codes, with timers set to the same time (although I've had better results by staggering the timers for different unit codes, too), or by creating a macro that sequentially sends the commands to the different modules.

I hope this helps.
--Noam

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.