Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: An interesting new gadget  (Read 3163 times)

dhouston

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 37
    • davehouston.org
This message was composed entirely from recycled letters of the alphabet using only renewable, caffeinated energy sources.
No twees, wabbits, chimps or whales died in the process.
https://www.laser.com/dhouston

toasterking

• Helpful Post Rating: 11
  • We adore chaos because we love to produce order.
Re: An interesting new gadget
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2016, 06:47:33 PM »

I think some smart meters installed by power utilities are already doing this sort of device signature monitoring, and the utilities are probably selling the collected data for marketing purposes.  I've kind of wondered exactly how the device profiling could be effective.  A device with capacitors and inductors in its power supply to suppress noise must radiate a very different kind of waveform back onto the line than an otherwise identical device that doesn't have that suppression.

bkenobi

• PI Expert
  • Helpful Post Rating: 24
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2016, 10:07:25 AM »

I don't see how a single device at the meter (thinking smart meter here) can ascertain what devices are being used in the home to profile anything.  The meter can only read the current going through it (well maybe it can do inductive vs resistive loads, too), so there's not much it can do to determine that it's installed at a home with a hot tub and a band saw.  It can determine that the energy draw generally is higher in the morning and early evening (furnace) and has a higher average level in the evenings in the winter than summer (lights).  However, being able to do the things that TED can do seems highly unlikely.  I would love to be able to do something like TED, but my interest level has never exceeded the budgetary hurdle for that type of monitoring.

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2016, 03:21:35 PM »

Oh come on. I thought we all realized the entire idea of a government mandated "smart grid" included full government knowledge and control over every item on the grid. It doesn't take much of a chip to report back to the meter ( Or much of a law requiring every device has such a chip). And severs up-line (at the power producer) can reference by ID, SKU, SN, and meter to know who is running what and when.

Home Automation is an always changing technology

Tuicemen

• Administrator
  • Helpful Post Rating: 282
  • I don't work for X10, I use it successfuly!
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2016, 03:33:07 PM »

Oh come on. I thought we all realized the entire idea of a government mandated "smart grid" included full government knowledge and control over every item on the grid. It doesn't take much of a chip to report back to the meter ( Or much of a law requiring every device has such a chip). And severs up-line (at the power producer) can reference by ID, SKU, SN, and meter to know who is running what and when.
When My brother-in-law had is smart meter installed he had a long chat with the installer, the meters were capable of doing that then(2 years ago).
The power company just didn't have the software in place.
The ultimate goal was for the power company to sell us software so we could watch this too.
I image the software is now in place at the power companies I think that is why their always changing the peak rate times. ??? ::) :'
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

HA Dave

« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2016, 03:45:00 PM »

When My brother-in-law had is smart meter installed he had a long chat with the installer, the meters were capable of doing that then(2 years ago). The power company just didn't have the software in place.

Here in America... we have the NSA (National Security Agency) that digitally records/listens to every phone call made (land line and cell). Looking for key words, phrases, patterns, etc.. Once a warning/flag is triggered an actual recording is made (instead of digital transcripts). Of course when the word got out that they were doing this the public was in an uproar! So the government swore they'd stop.

But the buildings where this was being done are still there. And the people that worked there then.... still show up for work as well today.

I got my smart meter several years ago! I am the only person in the neighborhood to have got one.....   

dave w

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 139
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2016, 08:00:47 PM »

Here in America... we have the NSA (National Security Agency) that digitally records/listens to every phone call made (land line and cell). Looking for key words, phrases, patterns, etc.. Once a warning/flag is triggered an actual recording is made (instead of digital transcripts). Of course when the word got out that they were doing this the public was in an uproar! So the government swore they'd stop.
But the buildings where this was being done are still there. And the people that worked there then.... still show up for work as well today.

I got my smart meter several years ago! I am the only person in the neighborhood to have got one.....
So Dave, did the ruskies hack DNC, Podesta, Hillary's server, or was it an insider or maybe kim dot com?

I just got my Duke Energy SmartMeter last month. The brand name is "OpenWay" by "iTron" but I guess it is Eschelon based. Have you had any X10 problems since your installation?
"This aftershave makes me look fat"

HA Dave

« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2016, 11:55:55 AM »

.... So Dave, did the ruskies hack DNC, Podesta, Hillary's server, or was it an insider or maybe kim dot com?

The DNC docs were leaked by Seth Rich. The Podesta mail (the Clinton Foundation Servers) was NSA.

dave w

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 139
« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2016, 09:45:46 AM »

.... So Dave, did the ruskies hack DNC, Podesta, Hillary's server, or was it an insider or maybe kim dot com?

The DNC docs were leaked by Seth Rich. The Podesta mail (the Clinton Foundation Servers) was NSA.
!
"This aftershave makes me look fat"

HA Dave

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.