Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 28

Author Topic: Automation with Alexa  (Read 103285 times)

bkenobi

• PI Expert
  • Helpful Post Rating: 24
Re: Automation with Alexa
« Reply #165 on: February 28, 2017, 10:47:54 AM »

Also makes it easier for the NSA to track you since it will just add a name to the text when it sends your log files.  <goes to get tin foil hat>

Tuicemen

• Administrator
  • Helpful Post Rating: 282
  • I don't work for X10, I use it successfuly!
« Reply #166 on: February 28, 2017, 10:53:30 AM »

Very cool!
Next will be an added camera and facial recognition. :)

The garage door being opened when I'm home and awake isn't a deal to me.
Having the capability for it to be opened when I'm asleep or away would be.
Same would be for other devices like a thermostat this is why I added the option to turn off/on Alexa control of devices both manually and on a timer in Alex10.
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

bkenobi

• PI Expert
« Reply #167 on: February 28, 2017, 02:40:54 PM »

My modem has an off button outside of the power switch.  So, if I'm going to be out of town, I can turn off access without turning the power off.  Seems like that would be a good thing for these spy HA devices to have.  If we want to link the garage door or front door to a voice command, there should be a physical override IMO.  I know pulling the plug would work, but I don't know what that would do for sync issues.

Tuicemen

• Administrator
« Reply #168 on: February 28, 2017, 02:57:40 PM »

I know pulling the plug would work, but I don't know what that would do for sync issues.
Yep that would mess up the sync. rofl

Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

dhouston

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 37
    • davehouston.org
This message was composed entirely from recycled letters of the alphabet using only renewable, caffeinated energy sources.
No twees, wabbits, chimps or whales died in the process.
https://www.laser.com/dhouston

Tuicemen

• Administrator
« Reply #170 on: February 28, 2017, 03:42:38 PM »

What will this do?
Makes my dot a not so good paper weight. B:(
But it may keep some in the dark and locked in their house  rofl
 >!
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

Tuicemen

• Administrator
« Reply #171 on: February 28, 2017, 04:30:52 PM »

I finally got my RM Broadlink able to learn IR code using the RM Bridge software.
Seems I needed a firmware update for my RM Broadlink Pro B:(
The RM Bridge creates url links to learned codes you create.
Placing those in the HA-Bridge I was able to get Alexa to trigger those devices. :)%
Good bye Powermids, my wife likes the look of the RM Broadlink better too!
Cloudy skies may make me get them back out though! rofl
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
« Reply #172 on: February 28, 2017, 07:08:16 PM »

Also makes it easier for the NSA to track you since it will just add a name to the text when it sends your log files.  <goes to get tin foil hat>

But...  NSA has been converting phone/voice files to MP3... for later voice recognition conversion to a text mega file. With the mega file including the codes that quantify the voice by tone, intent, emotion, accent, etc.. So.... I'd guess if the NSA can't ID your voice now... it's only because the technology isn't there yet. In which case... the sooner we all get a cloud based voice device... the quicker/easier/faster NSA can do their job. It could save some tax dollars if we all participate sooner. 
« Last Edit: February 28, 2017, 07:16:49 PM by HA Dave »
Home Automation is an always changing technology

Tuicemen

• Administrator
« Reply #173 on: March 08, 2017, 08:44:21 AM »

Cloudy skies are here again. :(
Over the last several days there has been several reports of Alexa not working. Luckily that hasn't happened here(yet)
One issue was with a particular brand of lights and the Kasa app. Many users scrambled playing with settings only to render there system useless. The issue was Kasa servers which are now working again however those that messed with their settings had to factory reset their devices and reconfigure them. Other Amazon server outages has cause simular issues in the past.
The thing to take from this is if your setup was working and the next day isn't don't play with your device settings. Chances are the skies at just cloudy. ::) :'
Probably the best scenario is to have devices which can be controlled locally and don't rely on the cloud solely for control. ;)
That way if Alexa won't control it you can test and use the local control.
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

bkenobi

• PI Expert
« Reply #174 on: March 08, 2017, 10:49:49 AM »

This is one of the key reasons I believe network access for HA should be as an added bonus not as the primary means for function.  Everything should be controllable locally and all automation should be done on the local (home) level.  Things that add extra capabilities (remote opening/closing garage door, remote lock/unlock doors, remote arm/disarm alarm system, etc) can be controlled via the cloud if desired (though I still prefer a local server that I connect to).  I'm amazed people are so willing to let all of this control be out of their control (thermostats, lighting, etc).

dhouston

• Advanced Member
    • davehouston.org
« Reply #175 on: March 08, 2017, 03:51:09 PM »

...I believe network access for HA should be as an added bonus not as the primary means for function.
I agree. There are many areas where the cloud makes sense1 but I think it should always be optional for HA devices.

1Schools are going to Chrome OS computers with cloud storage so that multiple users of each computer can have their own storage area in the cloud.
This message was composed entirely from recycled letters of the alphabet using only renewable, caffeinated energy sources.

HA Dave

« Reply #176 on: March 08, 2017, 09:59:46 PM »

With my Alexa.... side to my HA... Alexa is a secondary user. Every unit is either setup through my Hub, or my iPhone, first. Then after my phone either controls the device directly or via an app through Bluetooth or my wifi network and/or the Hub..... then I ask Alexa to discover any new/added devices. After discovery... Alexa can then control the device.

So by default my iPhone is the primary controller. Plus each ihome device has a built-in switch... and the wifi control light bulbs can always default to the switches that would normally be used to switch the light on/off.

If I was to be concerned about any failures... it would be the phone(s). I entire life is wrapped and tied into the damn phone. I really believe the phones are at the verge of becoming virtual companions.

P.S. Even my X10 control (via my iPhone) is done though my home network (Mellowware) and is not (yet) cloud controlled.   
« Last Edit: March 08, 2017, 10:04:39 PM by HA Dave »

dhouston

• Advanced Member
    • davehouston.org
« Reply #177 on: March 18, 2017, 11:26:41 AM »

So by default my iPhone is the primary controller. Plus each ihome device has a built-in switch... and the wifi control light bulbs can always default to the switches that would normally be used to switch the light on/off.
Will the fact that Alexa is now available for the iPhone simplify or complicate things?
https://arc.applause.com/2017/03/18/amazon-echo-alexa-ios/

HA Dave

« Reply #178 on: March 19, 2017, 10:27:11 PM »

Will the fact that Alexa is now available for the iPhone simplify or complicate things?

It can be both. Of course... the single use, single product-line... is always be simpler. And having more choices and options (from mixed brands and programs) does complicate things. But is staying with Siri on an Apple phone to control Alex... single use? Or is running an Alexa app on Apple?

And it gets more complicated. When controlling smart devices from the car (think garage door and interior lights).... do I want to use the cars native hard/software package, or my phones native software, or an add-on app downloaded to my phone. And... do I want the phone to control the home directly... or through the car... or vice versa. I think... I can even use my phones (GPS) proximity to the house to automatically control programed things/actions through a HUB.

I like the idea of using a mix of devices. The HUBS are helpful for integrating the different flavors of automation products. I figure the more options the better... for me to be able to do what I might want to do. But the choices and options are crazy!

The sci-fi idea.... I believe... is a virtual companion. A single voice with AI that learns your choices and habits. Makes suggestions and offers reminders based on past patterns.

dave w

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 139
« Reply #179 on: March 20, 2017, 10:36:12 AM »

FWIW

I just coupled Alexa to Homeseer3 and I now have Alexa voice control of 80 some do-dads in the home. The problem is I must remember the precise do-dad name or Alexa plays dumb.

It's still easier to just push the button.  :' 
"This aftershave makes me look fat"
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 28

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.