🔌General Home Automation > Automating Your House

Automation with Alexa

<< < (83/83)

brobin:

--- Quote from: HA Dave on December 28, 2019, 12:59:31 PM ---
I really don't mind... mixing and matching the various protocols and flavors of Home Automation products. But... I really sorta wish X10 was still a one-stop-shop as well.

--- End quote ---
Once I had the Smartenit Harmony running it encouraged me to try a few ZigBee bulbs and dust off some Insteon stuff I have.  Using a 2413U PLM it works perfectly with the Insteon wireless open/close sensor which I installed on my package drop box...  IF the delivery people use it!  Interestingly, UPS & USPS almost always use the box while FedEx and Amazon drivers almost never do even though there are two signs asking them to use it.  There's an MS-16A on the porch too so at least I know when they come.  When either are triggered I get a text and email.  And if I'm home the dog barks his head off before anyone even gets near the door.  rofl  BTW, my dog loves HA too.  He has a transmitter on his collar that unlocks his doggie door.  He walks up to it, waits for the click and he's on his way in or out!

I did have one issue with the Insteon sensor. Every 23 hours or so I'd get a false alarm which is actually a "heartbeat" signal that the Harmony saw as an activation.  I emailed Smartenit about that and within a few days they pushed a FW release candidate for me to test which ultimately fixed it.  With the engineers/developers based in the good ol' USA the response was quick.

Tuicemen:
I've been playing with my new Fitbit Vera2 and Alexa, This has no speaker just a microphone so unlike the apple watch it doesn't respond with a voice. That's ok I'm not sure I could get use to my wrist talking to me.
It still feels strange talking to my wrist. I love the reminders from Alexa which I get with a subtle vibration on my wrist (still getting use to that as well).
Like the echo tap this doesn't have the always listening ability of other Alexa devices. You press the button then speak the request, the response is displayed on the screen for you to read.
I've turned on & off my X10 devices with this and it works, just a little slower then my Dots .
I looked at different face displays for this (must be over 100) but I like the default one it comes with. So if the display isn't to your liking there are lots to choose from however not all are free.
There are also 100s of compatible apps for this but I'm happy with the Alexa, weather, text and phone messages that display. I'm not happy with my failing eye sight as I need glasses now to read these notifications. Since these are coming from my phone I can retrieve them on it which is easier to read without glasses.
 Alexa on this requires the Alexa app on my phone and since I have no data plan Alexa capabilities are limited to when my phone is connected to Wi-Fi. However I like the fact that I don't have to carry my phone around the house for it to work, the BT range is very good. I had thought about getting a couple more Amazon Flex units but this eliminates the need for those.

HA Dave:

--- Quote from: Tuicemen on January 03, 2020, 09:41:12 AM ---I've been playing with my new Fitbit Vera2 and Alexa, This has no speaker just a microphone so unlike the apple watch it doesn't respond with a voice. That's ok I'm not sure I could get use to my wrist talking to me.
--- End quote ---

That's says a lot for the earbuds. They would be more like talking to ones self and... hearing voices.  rofl

--- Quote from: Tuicemen on January 03, 2020, 09:41:12 AM ---..... I'm happy with the Alexa, weather, text and phone messages that display. I'm not happy with my failing eye sight as I need glasses now to read these notifications. Since these are coming from my phone I can retrieve them on it which is easier to read without glasses.
--- End quote ---

I have to carry readers with me... everywhere. I've found a kind that can/could even attach to the phone.

--- Quote from: Tuicemen on January 03, 2020, 09:41:12 AM ---Alexa on this requires the Alexa app on my phone and since I have no data plan Alexa capabilities are limited to when my phone is connected to Wi-Fi. .....
--- End quote ---

Hoping to be G5 wireless everywhere here soon. I don't know what Canada's plan for G5 is. 

Tuicemen:

--- Quote from: HA Dave on January 05, 2020, 11:33:23 AM ---
--- Quote from: Tuicemen on January 03, 2020, 09:41:12 AM ---I've been playing with my new Fitbit Vera2 and Alexa, This has no speaker just a microphone so unlike the apple watch it doesn't respond with a voice. That's ok I'm not sure I could get use to my wrist talking to me.
--- End quote ---

That's says a lot for the earbuds. They would be more like talking to ones self and... hearing voices.  rofl

--- End quote ---
I've not read any reviews for the ear buds that made me even remotely contemplate getting a pare.
I also could never find ear buds prior that would stay in.
 I also most likely would lose them before I had a chance to fully learn their capabilities first hand. rofl

--- Quote ---
--- Quote from: Tuicemen on January 03, 2020, 09:41:12 AM ---..... I'm happy with the Alexa, weather, text and phone messages that display. I'm not happy with my failing eye sight as I need glasses now to read these notifications. Since these are coming from my phone I can retrieve them on it which is easier to read without glasses.
--- End quote ---

I have to carry readers with me... everywhere. I've found a kind that can/could even attach to the phone.

--- End quote ---

I usually have a pair of reading glasses in my coat and at least a dozen pairs around the house.
These usually all end up in the same place by end of the day  rofl

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version