Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 28

Author Topic: Automation with Alexa  (Read 103598 times)

Tuicemen

• Administrator
  • Helpful Post Rating: 282
  • I don't work for X10, I use it successfuly!
Re: Automation with Alexa
« Reply #135 on: January 21, 2017, 04:58:26 PM »

How many clouds between the Dot and the lamp?
rofl
I believe it is only one, or two very close together.
 I read itead uses the AWS for their app which is what Alexa uses
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
« Reply #136 on: January 21, 2017, 07:37:12 PM »

Sonoff released video of  Alexa control https://youtu.be/WzfgFl70Ee0
Still on track for end off Chinese New Year (Feb. or Mar.) release.  :)%

What does this mean? The video shows "Sonoff" working with Alexa. Is Sonoff... X10? Does it use the X10 protocol?
Home Automation is an always changing technology

Tuicemen

• Administrator
« Reply #137 on: January 21, 2017, 07:56:20 PM »

Sonoff is Wi-Fi, some modules have RF but it is a 433 MHZ board so as they are they aren't capable of using the X10 protocol.
Dhouston has looked into swapping out the board.
Both of us have made suggestions on their feature request forum for them to add X10 support.
Most of their product line is geared to the DIY sector.
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

dhouston

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 37
    • davehouston.org
« Reply #138 on: January 21, 2017, 09:56:09 PM »

Sonoff & Slampher are Itead Studio Smart Home devices which use the ESP8266 WiFi modules. Both Tuicemen and I have posted here about various of their modules over the past few months. They are adding new modules almost weekly.

Some of them can also be ordered with a 433MHz RF receiver (in addition to the ESP8266) which works with a small 4 button RF remote.
https://www.itead.cc/smart-home.html

If I manage to finish a couple of other projects, I hope to design a 310MHz RF receiver module (that will work with Palmpads, etc.) to replace the Sonoff 433MHz receiver module.

They have just added a US style WiFi Smart Socket. I have one on order but have no idea when it might ship due to their New Year Holiday.
https://www.itead.cc/smart-home/smart-socket.html

Tuicemen and I are also planning to reprogram the ESP8266 modules to allow direct control w/o their eWeLink (cloud based) app. However, their integration with Alexa should make them attractive to those comfortable with cloud dependent control.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2017, 06:02:39 AM by dhouston »
This message was composed entirely from recycled letters of the alphabet using only renewable, caffeinated energy sources.
No twees, wabbits, chimps or whales died in the process.
https://www.laser.com/dhouston

HA Dave

« Reply #139 on: January 22, 2017, 12:45:44 AM »

Thanks guys! I am up to speed now.

dhouston

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 37
    • davehouston.org
« Reply #140 on: January 22, 2017, 08:27:44 AM »

I should add that they have made the Sonoff/Slampher modules hacker friendly by including a serial interface (you usually need to add a header and a resistor) that allows for reprogramming the ESP8266. It does require soldering and familiarity with the various programming languages that support the ESP8266.
This message was composed entirely from recycled letters of the alphabet using only renewable, caffeinated energy sources.
No twees, wabbits, chimps or whales died in the process.
https://www.laser.com/dhouston

Tuicemen

• Administrator
« Reply #141 on: January 22, 2017, 11:30:23 AM »

Today I pulled out my X10 Powermids and decided to add the ability to turn the TV ON/OFF via Alexa.
My wife never liked me doing that in the past but for some reason now she likes it. ??? ::) :'
Must be the fact that Alexa understands her as well as me. :)%
I'm not sure if I'll add voice channel, or volume control but maybe mute and input ;)
We seldom use the DVD player anymore so I doubt I'll add that but we do use the Android TV box so I'll surely have to add that. ;)
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

HA Dave

« Reply #142 on: January 22, 2017, 08:21:04 PM »

..... My wife never liked me doing that in the past but for some reason now she likes it. ??? ::) :'
Must be the fact that Alexa understands her as well as me.

That is the same reaction I've gotten in my home. The wife is using Alexa to turn lights on/off and playing music (to a BT speaker in the kitchen). Of course.... the car takes voice directions too. So it isn't just the house anymore. Maybe some of us were just a tad ahead of the curve.

The wife and I have even discussed adding more lights/devices and a couple more DOTs.

Tuicemen

• Administrator
« Reply #143 on: January 24, 2017, 03:01:18 PM »

Alexa seems to be in the news a lot lately and my Dot is fairly close to the TV so I see it getting triggered a lot.
I never did set it up for voice purchasing so I was never worried about that.

I see my Alexa finally got the update with the new wake word so I'll be switching to it. I'm not sure how this will go over with my wife as she just got use to Alexa being in the living room  rofl
I use to have computer as the wake word on my PCs VR but switched to Alexa to keep everything uniform, looks like I'll need to switch it back! B:(
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

HA Dave

« Reply #144 on: January 24, 2017, 10:50:53 PM »

I see my Alexa finally got the update with the new wake word so I'll be switching to it. I'm not sure how this will go over with my wife as she just got use to Alexa being in the living room  rofl

My wife has also made friends with Alexa. I don't think I could kill off her friend all that easily.

HA Dave

« Reply #145 on: January 26, 2017, 08:40:56 AM »

I switched over to "computer". So far so good.

HA Dave

« Reply #146 on: January 31, 2017, 10:30:59 PM »

I switched over to "computer". So far so good.

"Computer didn't last long..... "We're" back to Alexa now. I may switch the X10 setup attention/wake word to Kate.

I can control my ihome switches with either the Apple home app, The ihomecontrol app, or Wink (and all three through Alexa). My Cree wifi bulb is only controlled by/through the Wink Hub. The Chamberlain garage door I can control via it's app through my phone... or through the Wink Hub.

The only macro (robot) I've managed to create involves the opening garage door turning on lights.... but only during certain hours.

Tuicemen

• Administrator
« Reply #147 on: February 01, 2017, 08:19:09 AM »

"Computer didn't last long..... "We're" back to Alexa now. I may switch the X10 setup attention/wake word to Kate.
I'm still with computer but have been thinking of switching back as well.
My Cree wifi bulb is only controlled by/through the Wink Hub.
You mean you can't control the Cree with Alexa?
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

HA Dave

« Reply #148 on: February 01, 2017, 10:58:58 AM »

My Cree wifi bulb is only controlled by/through the Wink Hub.

You mean you can't control the Cree with Alexa?

Alexa does recognize and can control Cree WiFi bulbs. No Hubs or other devices are required to turn the Cree bulbs ON or OFF via a voice command. But that is it... no other control (that I am aware of yet). I also wanted to mention... the Cree bulbs also have local control. So... if [I am] still to sleepy to remember to tell Alexa to turn on my lamp..... turning the switch will work fine too. Then later I can instruct Alexa to turn the light OFF.

But, Apples home app (comes with the Apple phone), or the ihome app, or MyQ app can't "see" (or control) the Cree bulbs.

However.... the Wink Hub "sees" and controls the bulbs... including a dim/bright function... and can also incorporate the Cree Bulbs into schedules, and robot activities (macros). The benefit of the Hubs (as I see it... at this point) is integrating the various flavors and brands so as they work together. As well as the limited robot/macro functions. (X10's macro function is far superior). 

As an example... My MyQ garage door opener works fine with it's MyQ phone app... all my itself. But is not seen by Alexa. But when incorporated with my Wink hub... can do so much more.... like turn ON a mix of (different brand/flavors) lighting products. And/or send email/alerts directly on my (and my wife's) phones (a function from the MyQ app).

« Last Edit: February 01, 2017, 11:14:42 AM by HA Dave »

toasterking

• Helpful Post Rating: 11
  • We adore chaos because we love to produce order.
« Reply #149 on: February 01, 2017, 01:23:31 PM »

the Cree bulbs also have local control. So... if [I am] still to sleepy to remember to tell Alexa to turn on my lamp..... turning the switch will work fine too.
Thinking about this, it seems like kind of the reverse of the way X10 modules handle local control.  An X10 lamp module monitors the current draw downstream of it to determine whether you're toggling a downstream switch to which the load is connected.  Since the WiFi bulb *is* the load (i.e. with no switch to separate the controller and load), it would have to be sensing toggle of a switch upstream of it, a switch that would disconnect and reconnect power to the bulb.

So what's to stop all your WiFi bulbs from coming on whenever the power flickers because every one of them "sensed" that you toggled an upstream switch somewhere?
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 28

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.