Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 28

Author Topic: Automation with Alexa  (Read 103515 times)

dhouston

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 37
    • davehouston.org
This message was composed entirely from recycled letters of the alphabet using only renewable, caffeinated energy sources.
No twees, wabbits, chimps or whales died in the process.
https://www.laser.com/dhouston

Tuicemen

• Administrator
  • Helpful Post Rating: 282
  • I don't work for X10, I use it successfuly!
Re: Automation with Alexa
« Reply #256 on: July 28, 2017, 02:10:41 PM »

rofl it had to happen!
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

dhouston

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 37
    • davehouston.org
« Reply #257 on: July 28, 2017, 02:19:42 PM »

rofl it had to happen!

I think they should call it Alexanator.
This message was composed entirely from recycled letters of the alphabet using only renewable, caffeinated energy sources.
No twees, wabbits, chimps or whales died in the process.
https://www.laser.com/dhouston

Tuicemen

• Administrator
« Reply #258 on: July 28, 2017, 03:10:22 PM »

At $499 it is out of my price range, even the kickstarter offer of $300 is  :'( However very 8)
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
« Reply #259 on: August 04, 2017, 01:19:06 PM »

My wife just informed me the Bed, Bath & Beyond is having a 50% off sale on the Echo and $35 on the DOT.
Home Automation is an always changing technology

HA Dave

« Reply #260 on: August 15, 2017, 06:49:08 PM »

I had purchased the original WINK Hub while on clearance at Home Depot for $39 bucks. But WINK continues to update and expand it's abilities

HA Dave

« Reply #261 on: August 30, 2017, 04:35:15 PM »

And more integration seems to be on the way:

Cortana, Open Alexa,’ Amazon Says. And Microsoft Agrees.

HA Dave

HA Dave

« Reply #263 on: September 27, 2017, 10:50:57 PM »

The bad thing is..... I own a Billy Bass.

Alexa in a Billy Bass:  Here

actual link:  https://techcrunch.com/2016/11/04/finally-at-long-last-someone-hacked-amazons-alexa-into-one-of-those-singing-fish/

dave w

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 139
« Reply #264 on: September 28, 2017, 08:50:08 PM »

Here's a new idea! Use the DIY Google Assistant using a raspberry pi.
Man, I am glad I have Alexa! Google Assistant sounds like my ex.
"This aftershave makes me look fat"

Tuicemen

• Administrator
« Reply #265 on: September 29, 2017, 07:31:21 AM »

Amazon is actually launching some new devices (6) along with a new echo with better speakers, perhaps to better compete with Apples voice assistant entry:
 https://www.macrumors.com/2017/09/27/amazon-new-echo-speaker-better-sound/

I particularly like the new spot though I think the price is a bit high.
https://youtu.be/_DAUmz188l8
All six new devices (echo, echo Plus, spot, echo buttons, fireTV, & Echo connect) are now on the Amazon.com site
 ;)
« Last Edit: September 29, 2017, 09:40:47 AM by Tuicemen »
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

HA Dave

« Reply #266 on: September 29, 2017, 03:18:14 PM »

Amazon is actually launching some new devices (6) along with a new echo with better speakers, perhaps to better compete with Apples voice assistant entry:
 https://www.macrumors.com/2017/09/27/amazon-new-echo-speaker-better-sound/

I particularly like the new spot though I think the price is a bit high.
https://youtu.be/_DAUmz188l8
All six new devices (echo, echo Plus, spot, echo buttons, fireTV, & Echo connect) are now on the Amazon.com site
 ;)

I saw that too (got an email notice from Amazon) also saw this release on MSN

actual link:   http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/technology/which-is-the-best-of-amazons-new-echos-for-you/ar-AAsCmS0?li=AA4Zoy&ocid=spartandhp&ffid=gz

BackAgain

• Helpful Post Rating: 1
« Reply #267 on: October 01, 2017, 06:49:56 AM »

Sorry gang, I am not of the Borg mentality and I will NOT be using any AMZ device.  I'm beginning to move away from the company as a whole.  Really don't care for their practices in some areas.

I am interested in an X-10 alternative and am seeing a number of other automation devices, but many of them still want a distant hub/server which I am not interested in.  I have found a few ChinaNoBrand items that claim to work without a server/hub using only your own router for communications.  I could live with that IF they work.

I'm not interested in doing anything while away from home.  I only want to set schedules for devices with low wattage LEDs for lighting.  I would prefer to do it from a PC, but using a phone might be OK.

But NO device from AMZ.

racerfern

• Helpful Post Rating: 6
« Reply #268 on: October 01, 2017, 09:57:32 AM »

I am interested in an X-10 alternative

I've rolled from X10 to z-wave via HomeSeer. Like AHP, the HomeSeer functions reside only on your computer. You can gain access to your system through their server from nearly anywhere and you can access your own system from almost anywhere via their mobile app, but you don't have to.

Just don't register the system with the server and don't install the app. Very simple. All events (macros) are stored locally as are device information, etc. It's every bit as independent as AHP but it is being developed and improved all the time. The events are more powerful than X10 macros only because X10 stopped being developed years ago. I'm sure if the X10 business debacle hadn't happened, it would still be the premier HA system.

BTW, the HomeSeer system, plays pretty nicely with X10 so it's not like you're throwing out an entire system, you're just taking it to the next level.

HA Dave

« Reply #269 on: October 01, 2017, 10:02:59 AM »

Sorry gang, I am not of the Borg mentality and I will NOT be using any AMZ device........

You don't want to be part of the collective? I've always heard... resistance is futile. But to each his own.

I know the change involved with Amazon (and other on-line ventures) can be enormous... and not always immediately all good either. Change... just keeps on changing. And it leaves a lot of broken lives in its wake too.

I am interested in an X-10 alternative and am seeing a number of other automation devices, but many of them still want a distant hub/server which I am not interested in.  I have found a few ChinaNoBrand items that claim to work without a server/hub using only your own router for communications.  I could live with that IF they work.

Your joking right? You're "not interested" in a cloud based server..... but would [give] permission to a Chinese base/made product to use your own router/network?

I'm not interested in doing anything while away from home.  I only want to set schedules for devices with low wattage LEDs for lighting.  I would prefer to do it from a PC, but using a phone might be OK.

I enjoy doing things while away from home... like bicycling. Although I don't do a LOT of stuff with my home lighting while away. But this automation stuff is WAY TOO COOL to only have and use at home. Maybe we should differentiate personal automation, home automation, and just plain automation? 

But just plain on/off schedules can be accomplished with old fashion clockwork timers. Easy peazy. 

I fully understand the future shock involved with the new high-tech versions.... of the old high-tech. But setting rules for what you don't want... (as opposed to looking at what you can have) doesn't seem really productive. There is a lot of function and service to be exploited from the new technologies. I think we might all be better off if we boldly go forward... disregarding our fears... and embrace these new technologies.   

racerfern posts the truth! He got me into Homeseer (literally). You can also do a phone app on a PC and phone for X10 (at home only control) using:  http://melloware.com/x10commander/
« Last Edit: October 01, 2017, 10:08:32 AM by HA Dave »
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 28

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.