Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23 ... 28

Author Topic: Automation with Alexa  (Read 103542 times)

brobin

• Helpful Post Rating: 157
Re: Automation with Alexa
« Reply #300 on: March 09, 2018, 03:01:45 AM »

Thanks for the tip... just tried it and it works great. :)% #:)

Tuicemen

• Administrator
  • Helpful Post Rating: 282
  • I don't work for X10, I use it successfuly!
« Reply #301 on: March 09, 2018, 05:33:52 AM »

I've yet to test it out but I can see there being many places it will come in handy.
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
« Reply #302 on: March 09, 2018, 09:38:33 AM »

I am sure the programing and AI responses will continue to improve. As well as newer features will also require newer devices (like ones with screens). I don't know who... or which product... will win the race to best AI. But history would hint that we will continue to have two or three competitors for some time.

It pays to review new Echo uses and "skills" available from time-to-time.
Home Automation is an always changing technology

dave w

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 139
« Reply #303 on: March 09, 2018, 11:57:58 PM »

FWIW I just bought a "Mokcao Power + " speaker/battery for our Echo Dot. The Mokcao has a 5 amp battery, so will power the Dot and play music for five or so hours (I have not verified this) before needing a charge. It does not sound as good as the Echo or Echo 2 (less base), but is still pretty good. Prior, I had bought an "Alexa Enabled" cordless speaker from Menards and found out, you have to push a button on it to get it in the Alexa mode. Pretty useless when listening to Pandora in the shower and wanting to skip to new song. Which prompted the quest for a device that uses a true Echo as the AI. There are also battery packs for your full size Echo to make it portable, but I had a Dot which wasn't getting much use. 
« Last Edit: March 10, 2018, 01:15:50 AM by dave w »
"This aftershave makes me look fat"

HA Dave

« Reply #304 on: March 10, 2018, 12:43:00 AM »

FWIW I just bought a "Mokcao" speaker/battery for our Echo Dot. .......... Prior, I had bought an "Alexa Enabled" cordless speaker from Menards and found out, you have to push a button on it to get it in the Alexa mode. Pretty useless when listening to Pandora in the shower..........

The Dot also has a speaker-jack.... that I believe I've read... is supposed to connect to computer-type speakers. That might be a decent solution that even allows for some adjustment of bass levels.

But, as loud as these little devices can be.... I'd think a full sized Echo could service most bathrooms, even with a shower running. I've thought about (both) a bath and a bedroom Echo/Dot. I've already bought 3 (living room, dining room, and man-cave).... plus I have the Alexa remote (great for noisy environments) I keep in the Theater.

I've also thought about the Amazon tablets with built-in Alexa. And... have followed Knightrider's posts about setting up wall mounted tablets loaded with the WM100 app. It might be nice to have a hands-free (Alexa enabled) tablet in the kitchen... that could control lights either by voice command or touch/selection.   

dave w

• Community Organizer
« Reply #305 on: March 10, 2018, 01:28:17 AM »

The Dot also has a speaker-jack.... that I believe I've read... is supposed to connect to computer-type speakers. That might be a decent solution that even allows for some adjustment of bass levels.

Yeah, the Mokcao uses that plug for audio from the Dot and supplies power to Dot via the micro USB. Computer speakers is good idea, but portability (i.e patio, garden, etc) is out the window. When trying to decide on different speaker there was a competing "Vaux" speaker and in the Amazon reviews one reviewer said Alexa has a built in, three band, equalizer and used it to boost base response on the Vaux.  I have been hollering "Alexa, increase the base!!" also using "...turn up...") but can't get it to work, so far. Also checked the App but found no mention of EQ. If there is Alexa EQ, that would solve the weak base or no highs on a lot of these add-on speakers. I'll keep trying. 

HA Dave

« Reply #306 on: March 10, 2018, 09:44:46 AM »

.....I have been hollering "Alexa, increase the base!!" also using "...turn up...") but can't get it to work, so far. Also checked the App but found no mention of EQ. If there is Alexa EQ, that would solve the weak base or no highs on a lot of these add-on speakers. I'll keep trying.

I don't think either the Dot or the Echo had adjustable... anything (bass included) other than volume. IMHO the Echo has too much bass and the Dot... nearly none at all. Alexa [Amazon] has every song I'd ever want to hear... ready and waiting for my request. But audio quality? I don't know about that.

dave w

• Community Organizer
« Reply #307 on: March 11, 2018, 04:17:05 AM »

I don't think either the Dot or the Echo had adjustable... anything (bass included) other than volume.
Yeah, I agree. I am pretty sure there is no EQ capabilities built in the Echo hardware. But is odd that someone would claim that Alexa has adjustable EQ. Last night a synapse sparked and I wonder if the claim of Alexa EQ is true if streaming (only) from Prime.  I have a couple of Prime friends (pun intended) and will ask them to check.

HA Dave

« Reply #308 on: March 11, 2018, 04:57:32 AM »

..... Last night a synapse sparked and I wonder if the claim of Alexa EQ is true if streaming (only) from Prime.  I have a couple of Prime friends (pun intended) and will ask them to check.

I tried it here (being prime)... and Alexa had no idea what I was asking [I don't know that]. Seems like Amazon version of "Sorry Dave, I can't do that".

I am no audiophile myself. But.... I've always been under the impression that streaming mono-audio might not be of the highest quality. I know I don't exactly get lost into "dark side of the moon ~ Pink Floyd" like I did in the old days. But I don't think it's due to a lack of.... bass  :'

dave w

• Community Organizer
« Reply #309 on: March 11, 2018, 06:56:50 AM »

rofl

HA Dave

« Reply #310 on: July 24, 2018, 08:25:45 PM »

Tuicemen

• Administrator
« Reply #311 on: July 25, 2018, 05:29:20 AM »

This will be good news to music buffs. :)%
I rarely play any music from these and when I do it is from a radio station.
I suspect I'll play with this once but it wasn't on the top of my wish list for Alexa.
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

HA Dave

« Reply #312 on: July 25, 2018, 07:11:34 PM »

…… I rarely play any music from these ….

I've never been a big "music man" myself. Back in my working days... we used to leave a talking head on (mostly local stuff)… I think that's all gone now-a-days.

But it is nice to have some sort of metered sound... that puts passing time in a perspective. And.... there is almost endless media available on those Amazon devices. I've been trying to re-train myself to exploit new technologies.... which uses aren't part of my old (pre-cloud) habits.

Tuicemen

• Administrator
« Reply #313 on: July 28, 2018, 11:38:39 AM »

I first read about a magic mirror in  a post on this forum several years back since then there have been a few more.
I had originally brushed these off as simple conversation pieces.
The other day I found a You Tube video for a production built bath room vanity one.
This got me a bit more interested in possibly creating one with a SBC
I found several DIY projects even one using a touch screen which peeked my interest even more. then I found this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t-gSjdJX5HY
 >!
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

brobin

• Helpful Post Rating: 157
« Reply #314 on: July 29, 2018, 01:06:29 AM »

I just watched that video and my Alexa made a dentist appointment for me for tomorrow.  rofl ::)
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23 ... 28

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.