Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24 ... 28

Author Topic: Automation with Alexa  (Read 103552 times)

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
Re: Automation with Alexa
« Reply #315 on: July 29, 2018, 01:45:23 AM »

I first read about a magic mirror in  a post on this forum several years back ……... then I found this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t-gSjdJX5HY

Nice.

I feel confident (like I'd have anyway of actually knowing) that we're rushing towards the Halo concept of a virtual companion. A voice/digital entity... that is always with us... ready with alerts, advice, answers, and even plain old conversation and companionship. I am hopeful that the old "chat bot" algorithms will be integrated with cloud-smarts and even current and social media events. So... like the mirror (in the video link) birthday reminders (and such) for friends and co-workers... would be automatic (not requiring any data entry).

Currently.... I have found that I direct certain questions to Siri, and others to Alexa. And I know I need a Google [digital assistance] device... because Google is smarter. Which makes me wonder.... do I really want a single [one person, one voice] virtual companion. Or would a group of virtual friends/advisors be more desirable? There is a Alexa app (I think) that could follow me on my iPhone... and by connective extension... on my car's speakers.

Of course... all this means/requires a total and trusting embrace of cloud computing (like there's really other kinds today). So some of our fellow Home Automator's may not be able to make the transition. 

I myself look forward to the advancing AI technologies..... and the robot helpers (or overlords) that will be sure to follow.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2018, 01:53:34 AM by HA Dave »
Home Automation is an always changing technology

HA Dave

« Reply #316 on: July 29, 2018, 01:49:59 AM »

I just watched that video and my Alexa made a dentist appointment for me for tomorrow.  rofl ::)

And that's the problem with these devices. If they were really smart... they would know full well.... you can't make a dentist appointment in the middle of the night for a next-day appointment on a Sunday.  :)

Tuicemen

• Administrator
  • Helpful Post Rating: 282
  • I don't work for X10, I use it successfuly!
« Reply #317 on: July 29, 2018, 07:03:22 AM »

I just watched that video and my Alexa made a dentist appointment for me for tomorrow.  rofl ::)
Atcualy Alexa was asked to add dentist apoinment for tomorrow at 3 she just added the info to the calendar and didn't make the appointment.
It would be cool if she could make the appointment for me. rofl
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

HA Dave

« Reply #318 on: July 29, 2018, 03:40:31 PM »

Atcualy Alexa was asked to add dentist apoinment for tomorrow at 3 she just added the info to the calendar and didn't make the appointment.
It would be cool if she could make the appointment for me. rofl

There is no reason that can't be done! In business integrating calendars has been around for a long time (more than a decade?). Some schools already share school schedules via parents calendars and/or social media. There is no reason why doctors, dentists, can't be integrated into our calendar schedules. Let the computers (servers AKA "the cloud") check and compare available time slots and pick mutually available times.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2018, 03:55:06 PM by HA Dave »

Tuicemen

• Administrator
« Reply #319 on: August 02, 2018, 12:07:22 PM »

While looking into software for my Smart Mirror project I found this
https://pimylifeup.com/raspberry-pi-alexa/
Definitely worth playing with for anyone with a PI  ;)
Since I only have one Dot at my off grid place this is something I'll be playing with.
Hope it doesn't load down the PI to much with everything else I wish to run on it. ::) :'
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

HA Dave

« Reply #320 on: August 02, 2018, 12:23:23 PM »

While looking into software for my Smart Mirror project I found this
https://pimylifeup.com/raspberry-pi-alexa/.....

That does look interesting!

P.S. My thoughts on a talking mirror.... would lean more on the side of a robot. We have a Christmas decoration that sings (and mouths the words) of songs or even just speaking through it's microphone. I think harvesting the mechanics from Santa would work great in a robot-prop. I've been looking for a yard sale Santa.... instead of disassembling ours. But all this is getting over my head anymore. 

Tuicemen

• Administrator
« Reply #321 on: September 23, 2018, 08:28:35 AM »

Amazon has announce a few more devices to their echo line up.
https://www.engadget.com/2018/09/20/amazon-vs-apple-google-sonos/
And even Amazon has realized (finally) the need for local control with the new Echo Plus :)%
Voice control without a cloud connection. I'm sure there will be lots of limitations when the internet is down but at least it won't be dead in the water.
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

HA Dave

« Reply #322 on: September 25, 2018, 05:03:53 PM »

Went to the doctor today. I have acute laryngitis. But Alexa still understands me and complies with my requests. Otherwise.... I'd be back to using remotes. Which ain't so bad.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2018, 05:34:25 PM by HA Dave »

dave w

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 139
« Reply #323 on: September 25, 2018, 05:24:51 PM »

Voice control without a cloud connection. I'm sure there will be lots of limitations when the internet is down but at least it won't be dead in the water.
As long as you are running ZigBee. To me, going with ZigBee standard does not make a lot of sense. I think Z-Wave is much larger (manufacturers adopting the standard and device variety).
« Last Edit: September 25, 2018, 05:30:36 PM by dave w »
"This aftershave makes me look fat"

HA Dave

« Reply #324 on: September 25, 2018, 05:53:09 PM »

Amazon has announce a few more devices to their echo line up.

It all reminds me of the television..... in the mid-50's. It only took a handful of years..... before TV's replaced the big old wooden cased radios. But nobody wanted to lose the radios either. Living room furniture was moved around to get the best viewing areas (similar to the way theater setups are rearranging living rooms today). Radios were moved to the dining room or the home office. I know one great aunt.... died with her (still working) big stand-up radio still in her dining room... in the 1970's.

It's pragmatic to keep localized control over our automation. It's pessimistic to deny the great advantages of cloud-based automation.

Tuicemen

• Administrator
« Reply #325 on: October 05, 2018, 08:59:55 AM »

The Alexa app is getting a rework and a new face lift!  :)%
https://www.theverge.com/2018/10/5/17940260/amazon-alexa-app-redesign-october-2018-devices-tab
My app has yet to update with the new version but it does sound promising.
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

HA Dave

« Reply #326 on: October 05, 2018, 04:28:00 PM »

My app has yet to update with the new version but it does sound promising.

Neither has mine. (Yours may be held up later if the pending treaty doesn't pass quickly.) I don't know if non-Amazon-Alex users realize that this AI stuff just gets better and better.... constantly improving. Even some new devices (and steep discounts on older models).

Tuicemen

• Administrator
« Reply #327 on: October 05, 2018, 04:36:15 PM »

The voice assitance of all flavors really are new at HA thier apps have alot of improvement room.Luckily there are lots of HA software apps for them to get Ideas from.
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

Tuicemen

• Administrator
« Reply #328 on: October 05, 2018, 04:48:48 PM »

Neither has mine. (Yours may be held up later if the pending treaty doesn't pass quickly.) I don't know if non-Amazon-Alex users realize that this AI stuff just gets better and better.... constantly improving. Even some new devices (and steep discounts on older models).
Well mine arrive so looks like th USMCA deal had nothing to do with it  rofl there now is a house Icon bottom right on main page  so I'm  off to explore.
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

Tuicemen

• Administrator
« Reply #329 on: October 06, 2018, 04:00:34 PM »

There realy is only one cool add I see and that is the Hunches. Alexa watches for devices that are left on longer then normal so if you forget to turn someting off it will notify you.
This may come in handy when sometimers strikes.
 >!
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24 ... 28

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.