🛡Home Security > Problems and Troubleshooting

x10 controlled water spigot?

<< < (2/4) > >>

Brian H:
Well the PUM01 could turn a 12 DC relay On and Off. Switching the +12 volts into the Red valve wire to open it and into the Green wire to close it.

schmuttis:
Thank you all for your input. I'm sorry for not including the link to the valve. Yes you did find the correct item.

I have some additional questions. I don't know what SPST and SPDT relays mean. Would you mind providing some additional education about them. How do you program X10 addresses into the hardware, 2450  IO Linc? I was looking at the smarthome page on the 2450 and was wondering if you need special software to program it? One of the pictures on the 2450 page had a screen shot of some program. I'm only used to the two dials, A-P and 1-16, on my current X10 devices.

From what I get from you this should work if I purchase the valve and the IO Linc. I would have the valve set to normally closed and issue an X10 on command to the IO Linc to add water. Then issue an X10 off command to turn it off.

As to the fish, we aren't really adding hot water. We were planning to use an RV heated hose. This only keeps the water from freezing in the hose. The valve would be in the house with the hose leading out to the pond. For example this is the type of hose we're talking about. https://www.amazon.com/PIRIT-PWL-03-12-Heated-Hose-12-Feet/dp/B00GN9N4A0/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1489104217&sr=8-7&keywords=heated+hose+for+rv My pond is 3500 gallons. I just need to keep the water level up in the pump vault when the pond starts to freeze. I also have a couple of solids handling pumps keeping the surface open near the pump vault. We've been adding water manually as needed this winter but would like to have something automated that we can control remotely if we are away from home during severe cold weather. The more that freezes in the pond, the less water dropping into the pump vault.

Brian H:
SPST SP Single Pole one set of switching contacts. ST Single Output Connection.
Switch can be {NC} On between Common and Output or {NO} Off Common and Output. When the coil is not activated.

SPDT SP Single Pole one set of switching contacts.  DT Two Output Connections.
Has one common and both a NO and NC connection.
When coil is activated NC opens NO closes.

No you do not need a special controller to do the basic X10 programming. Can be done with just the Set Button and an X10 controller.
Some of the special features may need it.

Basically you hold the Set Button until the LED starts Flashing and it beeps.
Then send the X10 Address {House Code, Unit Code} and an X10 On or Off. Threes times until the unit beeps and the LED stops flashing.

Example: Sending a B2 On, B2 On, B2 On for programming.
An X10 B2 On will activate the relay and a B2 Off will turn the relay off.
If you had programmed with a B2 Off. A B2 Off would activate the relay and a B2 On would turn the relay off.

Download the full users manual for the 2450.
See page 13 for added information on X10 programming.
Step 4 in the procedure maybe an error. I have never had to hold the Set Button again after programming.

http://cache-m2.smarthome.com/manuals/2450.pdf

b0b99:
Although I am a big fan of X-10 automation, sometimes a simple solution is easier. If all you want to do is make sure the water temperature remains above freezing by adding hot water when necessary, monitoring it and using X-10 to remotely turn on/off the hot water might be more complicated than necessary. Have you looked at an Arduino solution? By using an Arduino with a waterproof temperature sensor in the pond (DS18B20), and an Arduino relay (which are SPDT), you can automate the entire process. There are many Arduino examples of how to wire and program the temperature sensor and relay. This would eliminate the need to remotely monitor the pond to see if the temperature needs to be adjusted and is an inexpensive solution to your problem. I can't post external links, but an example of how this could be done can be seen on   the instructables site. Search for "Arduino Temperature Controller - Instructables"
You would not need to implement the display if you did not want it and a single relay would suffice for controlling just one device (valve).

HA Dave:
Many years ago..... I owned a small home without any garage. I parked on the old brick street, in front of the house. All the neighbors were very good about never parking in front of other peoples homes.

To keep the car warm for early morning starts and to be driving ready I installed an 120volt in-line block/water heater. I ran a outlet to front of the home and added a light-switch for in next to the front door. (I used the same outlet for Christmas lights.) In sub-freezing weather I would simply switch the light/block-heater ON to warm the cars engine while I showered and ate breakfast.

You could connect the same type of heater to your ponds pluming and connect it to a switch PLUS a Thermostatically-Controlled outlet/switch. That should keep your pond from freezing over.

To keep your pond from evaporating in summer I'd build an inlet box (maybe the same place where you keep the heater) and add a toilet tank refill mechanism. 

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version