💬General Category > General Discussion

The cloud is down.

<< < (2/3) > >>

brobin:
Google cloudburst locks people out of their homes.

https://bit.ly/2JTGFzW

Brian H:
I saw a thread on Cocoontech that Google Mail was also down yesterday.

dave w:
Gads, I might have to use a (gasp) light switch.
Actually I should get Homeseer voice control running, so if a "cloudburst" (sorry brobin, but that is too good not to plagiarize) does happen I can still have local voice control. I just got lazy with Alexa.

bkenobi:
I know I'm generally paranoid (other people's words) that bad things happen when others control how data is used, so I guess I won't say anything else...   :'

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/news/security/billions-of-records-including-passwords-leaked-by-smart-home-vendor/

FWIW, I have not yet experienced a massive data breach resulting in loss of data from my locally controlled, network accessible HA system.  Well, I haven't asked the NSA if I have had a data breach, so AFAIK anyway.

HA Dave:

--- Quote from: bkenobi on July 01, 2019, 08:59:28 PM ---..... I haven't asked the NSA if I have had a data breach, so AFAIK anyway.

--- End quote ---

I guarantee you.... the NSA has recorded every phone conversation you've been a part of. And tracked many/most/ or maybe all of your automotive travels. Your Internet usage (including forum posts), your medical uses (including prescriptions), television use.... EVERYTHING is monitored and recorded. Every living soul in North America is part of the data collection/mining.

Even my electric meter was replaced (nearly a decade ago) with a "smart" meter that can use the power-lines to "report" power usage. Interestingly my meter was the ONLY one in the neighborhood be replaced with the "new" meter. I always just assumed it was because I worked for the government.

The invasion of privacy is VERY REAL. But..... the time to worry about such things came and went YEARS ago.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version