Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: Diagnosing inoperative KR15A  (Read 11614 times)

andyd

• Helpful Post Rating: 1
Re: Diagnosing inoperative KR15A
« Reply #30 on: April 21, 2017, 07:02:09 PM »

I'm guessing they want to see each command more than once.  It would be good to have data from a KR15A that does does drive a newer TM751 or CM15A if such a thing exists.

Andy D

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
« Reply #31 on: April 22, 2017, 06:11:35 AM »

All of my CM15A units are the older ones. Before they where redesigned. Using surface mounted parts and the RF daughter boards where removed. That are now part of the main board.
So if they act differently I can't test one.

dhouston

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 37
    • davehouston.org
« Reply #32 on: April 22, 2017, 07:32:38 AM »

The SH624 Security Remote only sends a single copy. The CM15A has always used the HiMark RX3310A so I doubt the newer SMT version of the CM15A acts differently - it has merely moved the RF Receiver circuitry from a daughterboard to the main PCB.
This message was composed entirely from recycled letters of the alphabet using only renewable, caffeinated energy sources.
No twees, wabbits, chimps or whales died in the process.
https://www.laser.com/dhouston

dhouston

• Advanced Member
    • davehouston.org
« Reply #33 on: April 22, 2017, 08:38:50 AM »

@Brian H

What happens when you send A1 ON to your Powerhorn from a Palmpad (which always sends a minimum of 5 copies of the code)?
This message was composed entirely from recycled letters of the alphabet using only renewable, caffeinated energy sources.

andyd

« Reply #34 on: April 22, 2017, 09:56:32 AM »

I was asked about time between words.  I marked several times with the cursors.  Word 1 - Word 2 period was 516.0 ms.  Word 2 - Word 3 period was 514.0 ms.  So about half second period.   The silence between words is less of course and that measured 444.0 ms W1-W2 and 442 ms W2-W3.

dhouston

• Advanced Member
    • davehouston.org
« Reply #35 on: April 22, 2017, 11:45:42 AM »

The silence between words is less of course and that measured 444.0 ms W1-W2 and 442 ms W2-W3.

That's 10x the silence between those sent from a Palmpad. Could the newer transceivers merely be acting on the length of the silence?

I wonder what happens if you change the address used by the KR15A as described in its manual.
files.buyitsellit.com/8181/KR15A.pdf

Brian H

• Community Organizer
« Reply #36 on: April 22, 2017, 11:48:54 AM »

@Brian H

What happens when you send A1 ON to your Powerhorn from a Palmpad (which always sends a minimum of 5 copies of the code)?

SH10A Date Code:04H33

I can trigger the SH10A with a constant stream of A1 AOn commands from both a HR12A Palm Pad
or a UR19A 6 in 1 Remote. By holding the button down continuously or pushing the button down and releasing repeatedly.
After being triggered it will sound for four minutes and time out.
Sending a few A1 AOff commands it stops before the four minutes is over.

If you send a cycle A1 AOn A1 AOff it will trigger after about four cycles and continue for about
four seconds after the cycle sequence stops.

dhouston

• Advanced Member
    • davehouston.org
« Reply #37 on: April 22, 2017, 12:01:22 PM »

@Brian H

SH10A Date Code:04H33

I can trigger the SH10A with a constant stream of A1 AOn commands from both a HR12A Palm Pad
or a UR19A 6 in 1 Remote. By holding the button down continuously or pushing the button down and releasing repeatedly.
After being triggered it will sound for four minutes and time out.
Sending a few A1 AOff commands it stops before the four minutes is over.

If you send a cycle A1 AOn A1 AOff it will trigger after about four cycles and continue for about
four seconds after the cycle sequence stops.

Hmm! Maybe it's just looking for commands every ~440mS which would seldom be coming from/for standard
(i.e. non-Security) X10 devices.

dhouston

• Advanced Member
    • davehouston.org
« Reply #38 on: April 22, 2017, 12:44:28 PM »

While not directly applicable, in this thread from a couple of years back I discussed how nearly every X10 RF transmitter sends 5 or more copies of the code.
http://forums.x10.com/index.php?topic=29059.0

The only X10 security devices I've ever had are the SH624 & KR15A so I never did much experimenting/exploring on the security side.

These days both of my hands are nearly useless for handling small, intricate devices so even breadboarding to experiment with how the newer TM751 responds to various scenarios is beyond me. It might prove interesting if someone with a Raspberry Pi (or Arduino) and a 310MHz Transmitter module were to play around with this.

andyd

« Reply #39 on: April 22, 2017, 01:06:41 PM »

"I wonder what happens if you change the address used by the KR15A as described in its manual."

I tried different house/unit codes at the beginning of my investigation.  Don't remember what combinations I tried but none were passed on by the TM751 or seen by the CM15a.   I saved an RF waveform file for code H3.  I may load it back to the scope later and check the timing but I don't think it was significantly different from A1.

Andy D

dhouston

• Advanced Member
    • davehouston.org
« Reply #40 on: April 22, 2017, 01:47:24 PM »

"I wonder what happens if you change the address used by the KR15A as described in its manual."

I tried different house/unit codes at the beginning of my investigation.  Don't remember what combinations I tried but none were passed on by the TM751 or seen by the CM15a.   I saved an RF waveform file for code H3.  I may load it back to the scope later and check the timing but I don't think it was significantly different from A1.

Andy D

Then I think we're left with nothing other than the time between codes as the deciding factor for relaying to the powerline.

dhouston

• Advanced Member
    • davehouston.org
« Reply #41 on: April 22, 2017, 02:30:02 PM »

SH10A Small Powerhorn.
Sending an On or Off to its address.
Then a Bright it will Ding or a Dim it will Dong.

Brian,

This was your first test with the SH10A. You did not specify which RF transmitter you used.

dhouston

• Advanced Member
    • davehouston.org
« Reply #42 on: April 22, 2017, 02:33:43 PM »

While I doubt it will help with your garage door, I'd like to know what happens with the relay in the TM751. Does it 'clack' with the KR15A button press?

andyd

« Reply #43 on: April 22, 2017, 03:24:05 PM »

"Does it 'clack' with the KR15A button press?"

No, the TM751 is unresponsive in all respects.   We know the RF signals are demodulated and sent to the micro-controller but it does not like the command sequence.

It would be nice to understand what the TM751 really needs.  As suggested earlier, running various code transmissions with an Arduino or Pi would be interesting but I don't currently have that capability.  Can either of you point me to any open source code that generates X10 wireless codes, preferably for the PC.  I could drive a transmitter with a control line of an RS232 port.

Andy D

Brian H

• Community Organizer
« Reply #44 on: April 22, 2017, 03:45:24 PM »

SH10A Small Powerhorn.
Sending an On or Off to its address.
Then a Bright it will Ding or a Dim it will Dong.

Brian,

This was your first test with the SH10A. You did not specify which RF transmitter you used.

That information was in the single instruction sheet in the box. I used a Palm Pad and my installed system RR501.
The four minute tripping with a stream of On commands I found by accident and not in the instructions I have.

The KR15A also sends a On then Bright commands if the button is held longer. So it will also cause it to Ding a few times. If held even longer. It starts the stream of On commands and it then starts the screeching for four minutes.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2017, 03:48:48 PM by Brian H »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.