Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Automation with my Dick Tracy wristwatch/cell phone  (Read 10384 times)

dhouston

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 37
    • davehouston.org
Automation with my Dick Tracy wristwatch/cell phone
« on: May 30, 2017, 01:10:30 PM »

I'm going to be testing a device (strapped to my wrist) with the following specs...
Operating system: Android 5.1
Frequency: GSM850/900/1800/1900  WCDMA 900/2100
Antenna: BT4.0/GPS/WIFI 
4 buttons:power button, back button, SOS buttons (Call A, Call B) 
Heart rate/blood pressure sensor : PH8002
6-axis gyroscope
GPS tracker,SOS emergency call, Fall alert, Removal alert, Low battery alert, Medicine alert, Phone call Monitor mode, Pedometer
waterproof: IP67
Support: API, TCP/HTTP protocol integration

I'm still awaiting an English language user manual let alone a technical manual detailing the various features but with WiFi, Bluetooth, cell phone, SMS, GPS, able to run Android apps and an API, I am hoping to find a way to interface it with some (preferably simple) HA interface.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2017, 01:42:39 PM by dhouston »
This message was composed entirely from recycled letters of the alphabet using only renewable, caffeinated energy sources.
No twees, wabbits, chimps or whales died in the process.
https://www.laser.com/dhouston

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
Re: Automation with my Dick Tracy wristwatch/cell phone
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2017, 05:01:31 PM »

I wonder if it will interface with the google (or Alexa) device(s).
Home Automation is an always changing technology

dhouston

• Advanced Member
    • davehouston.org
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2017, 05:35:12 PM »

That will depend on the API - for which I'm still awaiting documentation.
This message was composed entirely from recycled letters of the alphabet using only renewable, caffeinated energy sources.

HA Dave

« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2017, 07:08:57 PM »

That will depend on the API - for which I'm still awaiting documentation.

I will be following this thread with real excitement. There are several devices I'd love to try.... this is one.

dhouston

• Advanced Member
    • davehouston.org
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2017, 08:28:47 PM »

I will be following this thread with real excitement. There are several devices I'd love to try.... this is one.

I'll report my progress here but it may be slow going. It's new and the company that makes it has been late at every step. I was promised documentation a couple of months ago - I'm still waiting.

I did expect it to be of interest to some of the old timers here. It's targeted at the elderly and I came across it when searching for something that might help a former brother-in-law with Parkinson's who has had several serious falls (with multiple broken bones). And, as it happens, I fell on Xmas day and finally had to call 911 after struggling for a couple of hours to right myself.

The quality is excellent based on the exterior appearance. I'll need to open it up to replace the band so hope to get a view of its innards then.

I plan to try it with a Consumer Cellular SIM card as soon as I have adequate documentation. And I may even update my Basic4Android license so that I can write a state-of-the-art APP or two with their API.

HA Dave

« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2017, 09:56:29 PM »

I did expect it to be of interest to some of the old timers here.
........... as it happens, I fell on Xmas day and finally had to call 911 after struggling for a couple of hours to right myself.

That can be a very dangerous position to be in... glad it worked out.

Tuicemen

• Administrator
  • Helpful Post Rating: 282
  • I don't work for X10, I use it successfuly!
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2017, 06:27:19 AM »

I love the Dick Tracy wrist watch idea.
However I wonder how much of a market there is for it now a days.
I retired my watch when I retired.
Ask people on the street now for the time and most pull out their cell phone now.

I look forward to reading your test results dhouston.
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

dhouston

• Advanced Member
    • davehouston.org
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2017, 12:05:10 PM »

I love the Dick Tracy wrist watch idea.
However I wonder how much of a market there is for it now a days.
I retired my watch when I retired.
I think they are looking at a limited market targeting the elderly, retirement homes/villages, nursing homes, etc. They are not competing with the Apple Watch or Android Wear.

I also retired my watch years ago but had I one of these when I fell Xmas, I could have avoided a severe rug burn on an ankle that still hasn't healed 100%. I visit a Wound Care Center weekly and a nurse comes 3 times a week to change the dressing.

Those with Parkinsons frequently develop dementia. My brother-in-law has gotten lost a few times. With one of these his wife or daughter could monitor his location.

I think it has excellent potential within this limited market. I hope I can create Android Apps to interface with some HA hubs but I want to keep it as simple as possible rather than try to work with all the rapidly proliferating hubs.

I have a user manual for an earlier watch with most of the same features but that wasn't waterproof. This one isn't meant for scuba diving but should be safe in the shower of even the bathtub (30 mins or so max). Another problem with the earlier model is that the antenna was in the band meaning it could only be changed at their factory. This model has internal antennae and the band can be replaced. I'm looking for a velcro version for those whose fingers are no longer nimble and have suggested they should supply it with same.

The earlier manual uses very awkward English. If ever I get a user manual for this one I'll try to rewrite it in my own limited English to make it more understandable amongst fellow English speaking geezers.

« Last Edit: May 31, 2017, 12:12:13 PM by dhouston »

dhouston

• Advanced Member
    • davehouston.org
« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2017, 04:42:38 PM »

I hope I can create Android Apps to interface with some HA hubs but I want to keep it as simple as possible rather than try to work with all the rapidly proliferating hubs.

Given that it can download and run Android APPs, this could be as simple as installing existing APPs that interface various HA genres reducing/eliminating the need to write/support my own APPs.

And, it might be practical to call home to the new Amazon/Google video phone devices and issue voice commands to do things like open the garage door as you approach in your car.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2017, 04:50:53 PM by dhouston »

HA Dave

« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2017, 06:36:03 PM »

...... My brother-in-law has gotten lost a few times. With one of these his wife or daughter could monitor his location....

Given that it can download and run Android APPs, this could be as simple as installing existing APPs that interface various HA genres reducing/eliminating the need to write/support my own APPs.

And, it might be practical to call home to the new Amazon/Google video phone devices and issue voice commands to do things like open the garage door as you approach in your car.

You might want to look at what they call geo-fencing. It could restrict and/or trigger events based on the location of the device/person. Things like locking and or unlocking doors, closing and opening gates/garage doors, or even emailing (texting?) people who monitor another's comings and goings.   

One of the things I like about Siri (Apples phone voice assistant).... is I can use her/it to make a call (by yelling "hey Siri" first) to anyone/place in my address/phone book... or even just send a text. Or... I could also call 911 if need be. NOW.... even my Alexa/Amazon voice device can do the same (calls no text, yet). I think Google has something like that for Android too.

The trick.... is remembering to keep my phone with me when just running to the basement/garage/outside. Which is also out-of-voice range for Alexa. I think your wristwatch sized device is perfect.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2017, 06:45:59 PM by HA Dave »

dhouston

• Advanced Member
    • davehouston.org
« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2017, 07:04:57 PM »

You might want to look at what they call geo-fencing. It could restrict and/or trigger events based on the location of the device/person. Things like locking and or unlocking doors, closing and opening gates/garage doors, or even emailing (texting?) people who monitor another's comings and goings. 

That's built-in.

One sets up a perimeter that sends an alert when the watch exits the zone. My brother-in-law's keepers will be notified when he breaks out.

Another sets up a second perimeter and sends an alert upon entry. This will let my brother-in-law's wife go drag him out of the strip club.  rofl

However, the alerts (see image) are via text (i.e. SMS) so I'll have to explore how one might utilize them for HA.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2017, 08:10:42 AM by dhouston »

Tuicemen

• Administrator
  • Helpful Post Rating: 282
  • I don't work for X10, I use it successfuly!
« Reply #11 on: June 01, 2017, 08:12:25 AM »

@dhouston does this have expandable memory?
If not that may be the only draw back I can see for installing some third party apps.
I didn't see mem size in the specs you posted.
Using the text alerts would be no big deal. You can create something with B4A to read SMS messages and watch for specific words in the message and if from a contact.
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

dhouston

• Advanced Member
    • davehouston.org
« Reply #12 on: June 01, 2017, 08:47:42 AM »

I don't think it's expandable but the earlier watch specs said 512+4GB. You probably have a better feel for how adequate that might prove.

All of the setup has to be from an external cellphone (or Siri?) via SMS. And that phone should be one of the two SOS numbers. For lack of a better term, I'll call the two SOS numbers Geezer Keepers. It would simplify things if the setup could be via USB which is used to charge the battery. Without documentation I don't know the capability of the USB connector - the watch snaps into a cradle, making contact with 4 pogo pins for charging but the data pins may not be connected.

I'm enroute to the Wound Care Center - will try to add to the discussion later.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2017, 08:52:36 AM by dhouston »

dhouston

• Advanced Member
    • davehouston.org
« Reply #13 on: June 01, 2017, 04:58:01 PM »

This is another excerpt from the manual for the earlier model.
...an Android smart watch, supports independent calling with SIM card, and supports Google service. It has Google Play and can install APPs.

Hopefully, it will allow entry of a few numbers that can then be called without needing to punch in each digit.

One potential issue is that the alerts are also SMS messages sent to the Geezer Keepers so they will need cell phones. And a Geezer Keeper needs to request GPS data via SMS with the result coming via SMS. That saves battery power by only using GPS when queried by a Geezer Keeper.

As I've been homebound for several years, I've had no need of a cellphone besides a flip phone I carry on my rare trips out into the world at large. If ever I get some documentation, I'll order an inexpensive cellphone from Consumer Cellular and opt for their minutes sharing (between watch & cell) to minimize my costs. That will let me experiment.

My brother-in-law and his wife use Consumer Cellular as well. They are in an off the beaten path but not remote area. They might be a better test of the watch cellphone connectivity than my more urban location.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2017, 06:48:58 PM by dhouston »

dhouston

• Advanced Member
    • davehouston.org
« Reply #14 on: June 02, 2017, 05:38:40 AM »

Good news:
I received a User Manual.
This version has 8GB memory. (Max is 16GB.)
They also sent the Geezer Keeper APP that needs to be installed to the supervisory cellphone.

Bad News:
This version is less waterproof than I was told earlier. It's safe in the shower but should not be immersed. However, the standard band is leather and that may not hold up for many showers .

Antenna is in the band and can only be changed at the Shenzhen factory. This makes it unacceptable for use by the elderly who will be unable to manipulate the standard band with buckle. This is especially difficult for my Parkinson's afflicted brother-in-law or for anyone with peripheral neuropathy and is a deal killer. In earlier emails with the manufacturer I was assured that this version would have internal antennae and the band would be user-changeable. I am seeking clarification. If the band is not user-changeable I'll be returning the one I have. I'll also need to return several bands purchased from Amazon that I was hoping to try.

« Last Edit: June 02, 2017, 06:48:55 AM by dhouston »
Pages: [1] 2 3

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.