Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Automation with my Dick Tracy wristwatch/cell phone  (Read 10386 times)

Tuicemen

• Administrator
  • Helpful Post Rating: 282
  • I don't work for X10, I use it successfuly!
Re: Automation with my Dick Tracy wristwatch/cell phone
« Reply #15 on: June 02, 2017, 07:08:35 AM »

The memory is a concern to me.
My old phone is 16 GB and I'm constantly removing apps to try any new app.
If it will pair to a smartphone to utilize apps on it as well, memory may not be a big deal.
I believe 32 GB is entry level for a new phone now.
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

dhouston

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 37
    • davehouston.org
« Reply #16 on: June 02, 2017, 07:48:33 AM »

I've no clue as to the memory chip used but have noticed with Itead and other ESP8266 & ESP32 devices that the memory chips are the same physical size even with much greater capacity.

I doubt that the intended target (i.e. geezers needing keepers) will be playing games or streaming music/video so the 16GB may be adequate. I really do not have much expertise here. The processor may also affect how much memory can be used.
http://mediatek-mobile.com/mediatek-mt6580/

I don't know what chip they use for pulse measurement but some are extremely accurate and may even be able to predict heart attacks, Afib, etc. And some can also measure blood oxygen levels.

I think the watch has enormous potential but is DOA in its current configuration at least for the geezers needing keepers market.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2017, 08:01:11 AM by dhouston »
This message was composed entirely from recycled letters of the alphabet using only renewable, caffeinated energy sources.
No twees, wabbits, chimps or whales died in the process.
https://www.laser.com/dhouston

dhouston

• Advanced Member
    • davehouston.org
« Reply #17 on: June 02, 2017, 11:32:33 AM »

At this point I think I've spent the past 5-6 months at  B:(

I was told this new model would be IP67 waterproof; it's IP56.

I was told this new model would have a band without an antenna in it; it has an antenna and can only be changed by their factory.

While the watch may still survive a shower, the leather band will not survive many of them.

As is, it is totally unsuitable for the elderly who frequently have peripheral neuropathy and cannot handle the buckle on the band and who are at increased danger of falling when in the shower.

I have asked for a return authorization.

For anyone here who might be interested, here's a link to the company's website.
http://www.exschina.com/index.html

The G9 is the latest model. The G99 is the earlier model. They cost about $100 each plus DHL. The company (EXS) is looking for dealers.
This message was composed entirely from recycled letters of the alphabet using only renewable, caffeinated energy sources.

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
« Reply #18 on: June 02, 2017, 02:50:53 PM »

You should check out the Amazon DOT.

I just tested mine... and asked Alexa to call me (I said my name). A she looked up my number from my phone contacts (she/Amazon had already download that data).... and called my iPhone. At that point I was setup to have a speaker-phone conversation.

I know I can operate the Amazon/Alexa from a room or two away.... so maybe three device total to cover my entire house. Bought when they're marked down (on sale) at $39.... that ain't too bad. And NO monthly fee.

That would solve the calling for help problem. And setup with the right hub and door lock... a user could even unlock a door from a fallen position.

On a purely automation-use, note:
I've taken to Amazon music more than I ever thought I would. Being able listen to streaming music while I shower sounds good. And listening to a news brief while I shave sounds about right too.

P.S. I just asked Alexa if she can text. She/Amazon said "I can send a voice message: Say send a message".
« Last Edit: June 02, 2017, 02:53:37 PM by HA Dave »
Home Automation is an always changing technology

dhouston

• Advanced Member
    • davehouston.org
« Reply #19 on: June 02, 2017, 03:03:58 PM »

When it is sitting in its charging dock and the dock is plugged into my PC, it displays the correct time so my guess is the USB data pins work, meaning it should be possible to create software to do the configuration this way rather than needing a cellphone. The PC software could be password protected from geezer hackers.

Lacking both SIM and cellphone, I cannot proceed.

The speaker is adequate for a phone conversation. (It played a chord at start up.)

The color display is very good. (It displayed a scene at start up.)

dhouston

• Advanced Member
    • davehouston.org
« Reply #20 on: June 02, 2017, 03:33:38 PM »

You should check out the Amazon DOT.
I have phones in every room but one so it was more that I'd always been able to get up on my own from past falls that caused me to keep scooting around and trying. In fact, I reached someone a few minutes after falling but, it being early Xmas evening, she was unable to reach others who could have helped. I finally got tired of waiting (& scooting) and called 911. And, I've had a lockbox on my door for 3+ years now anticipating I might need it.

Most of my brother-in-law's falls have been while outside so Dot probably would not help him. I hope I did not get his hopes up.

My interest in the watch is more for others than personal. I first got into X10 because of the Windows 3.1 TTS software (SpeakOUT!) I wrote for those who'd lost the ability to speak from CP, ALS, etc. So, it seems things are coming full circle.

I regret wasting my time and really regret being misled since early February about the watchband and IP rating - had they included the new user manual in the shipment or emailed it a day earlier I would never have posted here. There are millions of senior citizens (whom Consumer Cellular targets) and fellow veterans who could really use this were it as initially presented to me.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2017, 03:49:34 PM by dhouston »

dhouston

• Advanced Member
    • davehouston.org
« Reply #21 on: June 02, 2017, 09:48:20 PM »

@Tuicemen:
Can Bluestacks send SMS from Windows 10 via the text gateway for Consumer Cellular? If so, I might get a SIM card and try playing with the watch.

If I have to pay shipping (both ways) to return the watch, I'll be out about $70 with nothing to show for it; if I keep it, I'm out about twice that but will have the watch.

A 1-1/4" display will make one truly appreciate "fat finger" errors/typos but having an Android smartphone on one's wrist is way kewl.

File Manager indicates there is 11.8GB available with several APPs already installed.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2017, 06:32:55 AM by dhouston »

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
« Reply #22 on: June 03, 2017, 12:05:34 AM »

...... My interest in the watch is more for others than personal. I first got into X10 because of the Windows 3.1 TTS software (SpeakOUT!) I wrote for those who'd lost the ability to speak from CP, ALS, etc. So, it seems things are coming full circle.

I've used BVC for years (and actually still do).... a program written by one of this forum users to control X10 (using windows XP's SAPI5 voice recon tech). His goals were always to be helpful to those who need assistive technology. I was happy to be of any small help with BVC.

I regret wasting my time.......

We tried many different things using Bill's Voice Commander (BVC). Most of the things I tried didn't work. In many cases... the technology just wasn't there yet. But I never considered any time spent on trials (or dollars spent) a waste. It is the failures that we learn from... and the learning is how we progress.

Just keep trying.
Home Automation is an always changing technology

Tuicemen

• Administrator
« Reply #23 on: June 03, 2017, 06:51:34 AM »

@dhouston I'm unsure if Bluestacks can send a SMS may be with an app that uses the Wi-Fi or a email app.
The key will be knowing the  text gateway for Consumer Cellular.
I have to admit I never attempted texting with Bluestacks I used the B4A bridge to test apps so I was using a real phone.

With expressing the band and other issues to the company is helping them improve the product.
They may provide a free replacement band that will hold up to repeat showers.
Make some band design suggestions like using Velcro instead of a buckle
The fact that it has to be done at the factory is a pain but if a small jack for the antenna was added this wouldn't be required.
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

dhouston

• Advanced Member
    • davehouston.org
« Reply #24 on: June 03, 2017, 07:15:33 AM »

I know the text gateway and I've already made those suggestions re the band - I made them four months ago and was told the new watch would have an internal antenna and a band that users could replace.

Anyway, it's a dead issue now since the watch itself is now DEAD. The battery is fully charged but the screen is blank until its placed back in its cradle with external power. Then the screen says...

Select Boot Mode
[Volume UP to Select     Volume DN is OK.]
  • Recovery
  • Fast Boot        <<<
  • Normal

There is no volume control - unless it's on the developer's PC in Shenzhen. So it's going back and I'll have to eat the shipping costs and PayPal fee. At this point, I'm concerned that I'll have to open a PayPal dispute to get any refund.

They badly need someone who speaks English. One APP has Chinese characters in its logo and an English name of HeaTeRate. It monitors pulse and blood pressure with numerous errors in English once it's opened.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2017, 07:22:19 AM by dhouston »

Tuicemen

• Administrator
« Reply #25 on: June 03, 2017, 07:25:37 AM »

Wow that didn't last long. :(
It is to bad the company didn't implement your suggestions.
I guess they're not expecting users to live long.
Users won't request replacement bands from the grave or for a dead watch

Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

dhouston

• Advanced Member
    • davehouston.org
« Reply #26 on: June 03, 2017, 11:21:00 AM »

Wow that didn't last long. :(
It is to bad the company didn't implement your suggestions.
I guess they're not expecting users to live long.
Users won't request replacement bands from the grave or for a dead watch
I suspect they are much smaller company than their web page pretends. The English in the G9 & G99 User Manuals is very awkward and is even worse in the APPs they created for the watch. That's not the case with most of the Chinese companies I've dealt with.

That said, I still think the concept is superb and they could sell millions were they to address the issues I've identified.

1. It needs to be configurable from a PC over the USB link. They can password protect the PC application to prevent mischief. This should also apply when changing SIM cards. (Currently, requires reset by factory.)

2. Use a universal velcro like band that is more elder-friendly. For example...
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00UYM6W2Y/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

3. Add blood oxygen measurement if pulse/BP sensor is so capable.

4. They need better manuals and need in depth technical documentation so that users are not flying blind.

5. A lot of onscreen text is too small for elderly eyes. They should add gestures to expand/shrink screen areas to make reading the screen easier.

Finally, navigation between screens is awkward. That could be better with better, detailed docs but they also need to rethink the ON & BACK buttons.

I suspect it will work equally well just as a wrist mounted cellphone for general use - it's not limited to geezers and their keepers. And, it's likely we can find ways to use it with HA hubs.

BTW, it came back to life just as mysteriously as it died.

dhouston

• Advanced Member
    • davehouston.org
« Reply #27 on: June 03, 2017, 05:44:57 PM »

The battery died after 8-9 hours but part of the reason may be that it appears to implement an undocumented feature called Lift Wrist Display (mentioned in the H09 watch description on their web page) which turns on the display for 1-15 seconds with almost any wrist movement. They should instead use wrist movements to recharge the battery.

I think there's a way to turn this feature off. If I find it I'll try to measure battery life w/o it.

When I started the thread I expected it to be a narrative of finding ways to interface with HA. At this point it has devolved into a blow-by-blow account of my battle to the death with this watch. Perhaps it would be best to move it to the General Discussion area.

Tuicemen

• Administrator
« Reply #28 on: June 04, 2017, 07:28:13 AM »

Although your progress has been hampered I still believe you can use something like IFTTT with the watch.
I still think this is the correct place for the thread as there are several watches that will interface with a phone out there.
This one is a step above, and once the kinks are worked out, looks promising.
I'll have a look over the manual in any case.
 >!
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

dhouston

• Advanced Member
    • davehouston.org
« Reply #29 on: June 04, 2017, 10:43:37 AM »

It does have a lot of potential with more features than watches costing far more but I'm not hopeful that they will listen to suggestions.

It looks as if they have ported Android cellphone software to the watch but without really grasping some of the problems presented by a 1.54" screen. For example, it can send/receive SMS & MMS but neither are practical IMHO - the screen is too small for a keyboard. It's even too small for entering configuration data. It would be better if all of the configuration could be done on a PC and transferred via USB. Most onscreen text is far too small to read.

It has these APPs...
Downloads      Google               Phone            smsCtrlCenter
Email              Google Settings   Play Store      Sound Recorder
File Manager   heateRate*           SMS               Settings
Gallery           Music                   Voice Search
arranged 4 per screen (each column above represents a screen) and you can swipe left/right to navigate.
*I suspect they mean HeartRate as this measures pulse & BP.

Voice Search might be useful if we could tap into it for using voice commands, to make phone calls, even to type in letters/numbers in lieu of a keyboard. IOW, make it a Siri or portable DOT.

I fear my ongoing health issues may limit my contributions to making suggestions.

I found no way to disable the Lift Wrist Display - only to set the default time its ON with 15 secs MIN. It needs to be disabled to prolong battery life. I left in its cradle overnight and put it on at 8:00AM with a fully charged battery. I have no SIM yet so this will not be a definitive test of the battery but it is a start.

It says it has 11+GB available but also says 8GB MAX - another indication that it's NYRFPT.

I think the buttons are problematic for most geezers or frail LOLs. The ON & BACK buttons could be replaced by a tap for ON And a pinch for BACK. I'd keep the SOS buttons as they will not be needed all that often.

PS: As yet there's no word on when the promised API might be released.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2017, 11:36:09 AM by dhouston »
Pages: 1 [2] 3

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.