Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9]

Author Topic: How I control X10 modules on Linux... (including Raspberry Pi)  (Read 32108 times)

petera

• PI Expert
  • Helpful Post Rating: 27
Re: How I control X10 modules on Linux... (including Raspberry Pi)
« Reply #120 on: May 03, 2018, 07:55:45 PM »

Yes, FOC = free of charge, but I did a double-take because back in my days of doing systems work for DoD it stood for "full operational capability." Not quite, but getting there.

Yup FOC= Free of Charge in this instance but the author does encourage donations. In fairness it does pretty much have full operational capability too. A double entendre one might say  >!

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
« Reply #121 on: May 03, 2018, 09:12:03 PM »

...........The only thing about the price is that it gets you HS3.  If they update to HS4 at some point, you won't have a license for that.  Maybe that's not a concern.   :' 

HS regularly updates. So it really isn't like customers don't get updated versions. And they do offer discounts via their email sales. Of course.... HS isn't free. There really are no free lunches.

It.... understandably... can be very gratifying to code your own actions and such. That has always been a draw to the Linux part of computers. 

But HS can put a mini little computer to work controlling Home Automation.... at a reasonability affordable price. 
Home Automation is an always changing technology

racerfern

• Helpful Post Rating: 6
« Reply #122 on: May 04, 2018, 12:41:53 PM »

If they update to HS4 at some point, you won't have a license for that.

There are still many people running HS2 and have no "need" for HS3. Unless there's something significantly new other than a nicer interface, it wouldn't make much sense to upgrade HS. But they do have upgrade pricing available to registered users.

I tried HS3 full version on the Pi and it struggled beyond five or six plugins. That's the reason the HS3 version that comes with the ZeeTroller is limited to five plug-ins.

petera

• PI Expert
  • Helpful Post Rating: 27
« Reply #123 on: May 04, 2018, 06:59:23 PM »

If they update to HS4 at some point, you won't have a license for that.

There are still many people running HS2 and have no "need" for HS3. Unless there's something significantly new other than a nicer interface, it wouldn't make much sense to upgrade HS. But they do have upgrade pricing available to registered users.

I tried HS3 full version on the Pi and it struggled beyond five or six plugins. That's the reason the HS3 version that comes with the ZeeTroller is limited to five plug-ins.

Possibly but I haven't experienced that issue with HS3 Pro on the Raspberry Pi 3 running on Raspbian Stretch under Mono 5.10. ZeeTroller is many releases behind the current version of Raspbian which causes problems for plugin maintainers trying to keep up with .Net Framework development and ensuring its running to tha latest version of Mono. Plus the fact a lot of the plugins don't work in Linux.
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9]

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.