Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5

Author Topic: Security Device  (Read 12704 times)

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
Re: Security Device
« Reply #15 on: June 17, 2017, 02:12:27 AM »

-----I checked out the HF Power Flash Module UM506 ($30) and perhaps that is a simple, but expensive
solution. 

Robodog has a dial set A for House.  (Also, Run/Install switch, Vol., red light ON, & Test button.)
There is no visible means of connecting any wires.  How would you connect the DCRH-2500 Receiver to the UM506?

I've never owned... or for that matter even seen a Robodog. I wished I had... I like the idea.

I realized when I read your description that the Robodog is trigger by an RF signal. I would guess you could modify a (maybe palmpad) X10 remote... so that the relay in the  Dakota 2500 receive would trigger an X10 remote. It might be more than you want to bite off... would require a little soldering.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2017, 02:16:24 AM by HA Dave »
Home Automation is an always changing technology

dave w

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 139
« Reply #16 on: June 19, 2017, 05:19:52 PM »

Just got a response from Dakota on request about X10.  Will this information help?  Frances
It should be able to use X10 through the relays on our receiver. The 2500 series has four form C relays and a 12v output. Unquote
A form C relay will have three connection points: Common, Normally Open, and Normally Closed. Connect the Common and the Normally Open contacts of one of the Dakota alarm relays to the PowerFlash input terminals and set the code dials on the Power Flash to the same setting as the Robo Dog (Robo Dog default is code A1) . If you set an X10 Lamp Module or Wall switch to the same code, the light will remain on for as long as you programmed the Dakota to time the relays.

http://cache-m2.smarthome.com/manuals/4060new.pdf
https://www.dakotaalert.com/docs/DCR2500_Manual.pdf
« Last Edit: June 19, 2017, 05:40:19 PM by dave w »
"This aftershave makes me look fat"

Francey

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
« Reply #17 on: June 20, 2017, 04:01:35 PM »

I received my DCR 2500 Transmitter & DCR-2500 Receiver Alert Monday.  The Dakota Install Booklet is beyond me, so for the start, I'll stick to whatever it's set on.
Affixed the Transmitter to a 4' post with a 5x8" wood backing for the Transmitter.  Bungy-Corded it to
a small dogwood tree in the driveway entrance.  Clear sight to the house where I set the Receiver, facing the Transmitter, 6' up from the floor..  Lay the hose across the driveway, painted it grey to match the concrete.  Pinned it to both sides of the driveway with garden hose pins.   Both Transmitter and Receiver are FACING each other 60' distance.

Inside:  I plugged the power cord into the wall socket and it Test Sounded the Alert, which was very LOUD and CLEAR. Could be
heard in half the house.
Outside:  When a truck rolled over the hose outside, 60' away, triggering the in-house Alert the same Alert sound was muted to 1/4th of the Test Sound.
I cannot hear this transmitted Alert from any other rooms beside the one the Receiver is in.
There is nothing between the Transmitter & Receiver except one outside wall and window. 
I positioned the Receiver in different wall-places and that didn't help. 
Would anyone care to offer comments on what I might do to amplify the sound being received from the Transmitter?  If the
on/off switch sounds a LOUD CLEAR alert, why doesn't the trigger from the Transmitter trigger a loud alert?
 DCHT-2500 Transmitter and DCR-2500 Receiver.  Thank you. Frances

dhouston

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 37
    • davehouston.org
« Reply #18 on: June 21, 2017, 07:22:26 AM »

Their PDF manuals leave a lot to be desired.
https://www.dakotaalert.com/manuals-downloads.php
It took me quite some time to realize that, in their references to Figure 1, the number after the dash referenced one of the numbers in Figure 1. For example, Figure (1-2) refers to the On-Off switch at the lower right. The manual has no reference to a volume control but my guess is the unreferenced object shown just above the On-Off switch.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2017, 07:26:27 AM by dhouston »
This message was composed entirely from recycled letters of the alphabet using only renewable, caffeinated energy sources.
No twees, wabbits, chimps or whales died in the process.
https://www.laser.com/dhouston

dave w

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 139
« Reply #19 on: June 21, 2017, 08:36:13 AM »

Would anyone care to offer comments on what I might do to amplify the sound being received from the Transmitter?  If the
on/off switch sounds a LOUD CLEAR alert, why doesn't the trigger from the Transmitter trigger a loud alert?
 DCHT-2500 Transmitter and DCR-2500 Receiver.  Thank you. Frances
Like dhouston said, the unmarked widget above the On-Off switch might be a volume control. Perhaps another reader may have a DCR-2500 and give you an answer, or another call to Dakota.

If you were to connect a PowerFlash to the DCR-2500, besides turning on a lamp, as you originally asked about, you can also use it to trigger an X10 Chime Module(s). https://www.x10.com/sc546a.html
"This aftershave makes me look fat"

dhouston

• Advanced Member
    • davehouston.org
« Reply #20 on: June 21, 2017, 12:28:55 PM »

Also, you might try it in a more central room. If it truly has 1/2mi range, extra walls should not be an issue.
This message was composed entirely from recycled letters of the alphabet using only renewable, caffeinated energy sources.

HA Dave

« Reply #21 on: June 21, 2017, 02:41:01 PM »

If you were to connect a PowerFlash to the DCR-2500, besides turning on a lamp, as you originally asked about, you can also use it to trigger an X10 Chime Module(s). https://www.x10.com/sc546a.html

Or..... a quick, easy, cheap (or free) non-tech way to expand the alert sound.... is just dig through the old baby boxes and pull out that old baby monitor. Or buy one at a garage sale for 2 bucks.

Francey

« Reply #22 on: June 21, 2017, 05:10:35 PM »

Yes, (smile) that baby monitor sounds like a great idea.  I'll have to try that.

Item #2 on the above Diagram is the On/Off switch.  The UNMARKED item is the Volume, already set on the highest.
Item 8, 9, 10... above them,  I have NO IDEA what they do.  Item #1 is where the wiring comes out of the Unit to the plug-in.

I contacted the X10 Powerhouse people with the website and nice as they are, they offered NO help in connecting up Robo to Dakota.  (It's a discontinued item.) End of conversation.  If X10 is somehow designed into Dakota Alert and Robo is X10, I can't imagine why they can't be connected.  It would sure solve my problem.... All comments are read and appreciated...  Frances

dhouston

• Advanced Member
    • davehouston.org
« Reply #23 on: June 21, 2017, 06:57:20 PM »

If X10 is somehow designed into Dakota Alert and Robo is X10, I can't imagine why they can't be connected.

I do not believe X10 was ever designed into Dakota Alert.

Your best bet for integration with Robodog is by way of the Powermid as davew suggested previously. We can provide a simple connection diagram should you decide to pursue this solution.

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
« Reply #24 on: June 21, 2017, 07:24:32 PM »

I doubt the Dakota Alert uses 256 RF frequencies. It uses an assigned RF frequency of 433.92MHz {from a assorted searches leading to the FCC ID Database.}
I suspect the 8 dip switches. Set an ID code that should be set to the same code for the receiver and sender to match.
Did you ever give us the FCC ID number on the Dakota Alert Receiver or the Dakota Alert sender. As the receiver console may not have a transmitter in it. The sender has to have an ID. I used DTC-2500 for my receiver transmit search.

The DM10A uses the normal X10 310MHz. frequency and can send an X10RF ON to the House Code and Unit Code its dials are set at. It also used the House Code Unit Code+1 address for Dusk Dawn detection. It was slightly strange as I don't believe it ever did a timeout and then sent an X10RF Off.
http://kbase.x10.com/wiki/DM10A

If the X10 RF frequency address was received by an X10 Transceiver. It could be put on to the power lines and control a Lamp Module if it was set to the same X10 address. I will look at the Robodog manual and see if it also could act as a transceiver.

You maybe able to modify an X10 Remotes buttons. To send an X10RF ON the Robodog can receive and be triggered.

I found some data on the Robodog in the X10 Wiki.
http://kbase.x10.com/wiki/Setting_Up_the_Robodog_Alarm
« Last Edit: June 21, 2017, 08:01:36 PM by Brian H »

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
« Reply #25 on: June 21, 2017, 08:10:41 PM »

ReX10 Manual.

HA Dave

« Reply #26 on: June 21, 2017, 11:24:17 PM »

You maybe able to modify an X10 Remotes buttons. To send an X10RF ON the Robodog can receive and be triggered.

I found some data on the Robodog in the X10 Wiki.
http://kbase.x10.com/wiki/Setting_Up_the_Robodog_Alarm

That does look like the solution. I had modified a palmpad some years ago... if I remember correctly... as part of a Rube Goldberg like setup that allowed my PLC floodlight to control my RF controlled VCR commander.

The simple way to do this: At one end of the battery connection make a 2 foil and wire blocks. Separate the foil-wire blocks with a tape spacer. Run the two wires to the relay outlet on the DCRH-2500 (the relay will close the battery contact and activate the remote). Then use something like a clothes pin to hold down the desired button on the remote. The default would be to set the remote to A and lock-down button 1.

dhouston

• Advanced Member
    • davehouston.org
« Reply #27 on: June 22, 2017, 08:38:21 AM »

Unless you have devices putting noise on the powerline or have phase coupling issues, the Powerflash is simple and straightforward with no soldering.

Francey

« Reply #28 on: June 22, 2017, 12:26:48 PM »

Well, I did make some headway... This morning a car rolled in & the Alert sounded ONLY ENOUGH to hear in the living/computer area.  Not around the open corner or down the hallway.  Luckily, I was at the computer when it sounded.

Clearly, I want RoboDog to be the barking alert, but for this moment, just amplifying the sound will Alert me to current visitors when in the kitchen or laundry room.

After reading the suggestion about the Baby Monitor I got to thinking... I have a Roland Guitar Amplifier (Micro-Cube).  It has a wire for an Acoustic Guitar....(with a stick-on button,  wired to a 1/4" prong.)
I stuck the sticker (smile) onto the DCR-2500 speaker face.. Plugged in & activated the Micro-Cube and Wonderful!  I can hear the Alert around the corner into the kitchen and down the hallway.  That solves the need for hearing the Alert in a different room.

Now, Back to RoboDog, which is my preferred mode of Alert.    This X10 Power device looks interesting. 
The Receiver DCR2500 is less than 1" in width.  It has to be gently pried open with a screwdriver.  There are no openings to
insert two wires, so a hole would have to be drilled in the lower left hand side of the case or I could file a depression where the
case closes together to accommodate the wires.  What size wires are needed?  Walmart appears to carry that unit and with the understanding that I can return it if it doesn't work ...it might be the solution.  (I won't drill any holes until it triggers RoboDog. (smile))  Sure is nice to get help this way.  Frances

dhouston

• Advanced Member
    • davehouston.org
« Reply #29 on: June 22, 2017, 12:53:16 PM »

What size wires are needed?

24ga (or bigger) insulated solid wire should be adequate.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2017, 01:07:44 PM by dhouston »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.