Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Lamps....all on with power ?  (Read 6943 times)

DavidinCT

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
Lamps....all on with power ?
« on: August 24, 2017, 01:23:39 PM »

Hey all,

Been using X-10 stuff for a while but, just wondering if there is a quick, cheap method to do this for 1 room in my home. I have a ton of basic Lamp modules.

What I want in one room. there is a switched outlet I want to setup 3 lamps (smaller bulb) in this room and when I walk in, I want to flip the wall switch to turn them all on.

What Module could I use that would detect power and send a all on command to one room (like room Z for example) so I can use up to 9/10 devices ?

I know this can be done with X-10 but, how with out a complex software setup ?

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
Re: Lamps....all on with power ?
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2017, 04:07:21 PM »

You could use a X10 PF284 or X10Pro PSC01 Powerflash module. With a small wall wart power supply in the switched outlet.
Set to detect a low voltage input and send an On when the outlet is On and an Off when the outlet is off.
The Lamp Module would have to set the the X10 address set on the Powerflash.
A 120 VAC relay could also be used. Then the Powerflash would be set to Dry Contact Input.

bkenobi

• PI Expert
  • Helpful Post Rating: 24
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2017, 05:09:37 PM »

You could also use a wall switch that sent a command and have all of the lights set to the same address.  The simplest approach would be the stick-a-switch but there are other options too.

Tuicemen

• Administrator
  • Helpful Post Rating: 282
  • I don't work for X10, I use it successfuly!
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2017, 05:48:22 PM »

Depending on the wiring in the switch's box and if it controlled more then the outlet you might be able to use a xpt1
https://www.x10.com/x10-pro/xpt1-w-ns-wall-transmitter-w-1-button-keypad-1-on-off-white-new-style-xpt1-version-a.html

You'd wire the outlet so it always had power then wire in the Xpt1 and set the house & unit code you wished it to transmit
each lamp module would be set to that house & unit code.
Of course you couldn't dim with that switch however I believe there is a dimmable version but it may be a 2 switch controller.
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

toasterking

• Helpful Post Rating: 11
  • We adore chaos because we love to produce order.
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2017, 06:15:47 PM »

If you are set on having a different unit code for each device, you could also use the XPT transmitter (using Tuicemen's advice above) with one of these keypads that can send the ALL LIGHTS ON and ALL UNITS OFF to all modules on the same house code.  If you want it to control the modules in only one room, you would have to have only those modules set to the same house code and the modules elsewhere in the building on a different house code.
https://www.x10.com/xp1a-w-ns.html
https://www.x10.com/x10-pro/in-wall-keypads/xp4d-w-ns-new-style-4-button-keypad-3-on-off-3-sequenced-codes-1-dim-control-white-xp4d-version-a-522.html

Lots of options here.

DavidinCT

« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2017, 09:58:42 AM »

You could use a X10 PF284 or X10Pro PSC01 Powerflash module. With a small wall wart power supply in the switched outlet.
Set to detect a low voltage input and send an On when the outlet is On and an Off when the outlet is off.
The Lamp Module would have to set the the X10 address set on the Powerflash.
A 120 VAC relay could also be used. Then the Powerflash would be set to Dry Contact Input.

Sorry everyone, forgot I posted here. I posted to another site but, besides them telling me I need a $1000+ automated system it was worthless to this need.

This is what I am exactly looking for. To plug in a small wall wart on the outlet that is switched and when the power is turned on, it sends a "all on" to a few lamps.  And an option that is cheap too. These devices you speak of are around $45 each.

Is there a cheaper option that can do what I need ?  I do not want to change out the light switch, I know that is an option but, I would rather avoid it.

Tuicemen

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2017, 10:20:50 AM »

Does the current wall switch control power to all the outlets where the lamp modules would be or just some or none?
What does it turn on off now?

Your cheapest solution would be a stick a switch and have all Lights on the same code.
https://www.x10.com/x10-home-automation/controllers/ss15a.html
You could stick it beside the existing switch.
 >!
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

Brian H

• Community Organizer
« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2017, 10:53:06 AM »

Are the present plugged in modules like appliance or lamp modules; light switches automated?
Like X10, Insteon, Z-Wave, UPB?
If you have standard mechanical switches your options are really limited.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2017, 10:57:58 AM by Brian H »

Tuicemen

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2017, 11:18:04 AM »

After re-reading your last post I see what your looking for is a module that sends a x10 command when power is applied.

To plug in a small wall wart on the outlet that is switched and when the power is turned on, it sends a "all on" to a few lamps.
There isn't a current module that is designed to do that.
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

DavidinCT

« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2017, 12:40:11 PM »

After re-reading your last post I see what your looking for is a module that sends a x10 command when power is applied.

To plug in a small wall wart on the outlet that is switched and when the power is turned on, it sends a "all on" to a few lamps.
There isn't a current module that is designed to do that.

Interesting. I do remember, years ago. I had my home loaded with X10 (my last home) even with Homeseer for true automation.  There was a few lamps that every time power was lost and came back on, that a few lamps always came back on, even if they were off before the power was lost.

I did research it about 10 years ago and found out what it was because I fixed it, but, I cant remember exactly what it was as it was so long ago.  I don't care if it was designed like that, as long as it works like that :)

Yes, I am looking for something that will do this. Just use the factory switch, with a wall wart type module that when power is applied it sends out a ON command to a few lamp modules.

If you CANT do this with X10, anyone know a something that would work here? Like I said, funny I thought I could do this with X-10.

Would the X10Pro PSC01 Powerflash module do what I want like Brian H said ?

Tuicemen

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2017, 12:43:49 PM »

Yes. The powerflash would need to be in an outlet other then the one controlled by the switch.  One that is always on.
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

DavidinCT

« Reply #11 on: November 29, 2017, 12:57:39 PM »

Yes. The powerflash would need to be in an outlet other then the one controlled by the switch.  One that is always on.

Ah, then that wont do what I need.

Oh, well... Thanks for your time. :(

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
« Reply #12 on: November 29, 2017, 02:35:57 PM »

It seems to me.... [forum member] Puck had created some sort of power outage macro years ago. Maybe around 2007?
« Last Edit: December 01, 2017, 02:21:25 PM by HA Dave »
Home Automation is an always changing technology

Brian H

• Community Organizer
« Reply #13 on: November 29, 2017, 05:51:45 PM »

The Powerflash would need power all the time and the wall wart low voltage would trigger it On and Off.
I do remember some one setting it to dry contacts and shorting the input pins. When the AC power was turned on. It sent an X10 On at power up.
Though when the AC went off it had no power to then send an Off.

I don't remember seeing any X10 modules going an On at power up.
I do know some of the Smarthome X10 and Insteon with an added x10 address. Would go to the state it was in at power loss at power coming back On. Except the Insteon SocketLinc Dimmer. It always went to 100% on at a power application. Even if Off.

DavidinCT

« Reply #14 on: November 30, 2017, 02:09:21 PM »

The Powerflash would need power all the time and the wall wart low voltage would trigger it On and Off.
I do remember some one setting it to dry contacts and shorting the input pins. When the AC power was turned on. It sent an X10 On at power up.
Though when the AC went off it had no power to then send an Off.

I don't remember seeing any X10 modules going an On at power up.
I do know some of the Smarthome X10 and Insteon with an added x10 address. Would go to the state it was in at power loss at power coming back On. Except the Insteon SocketLinc Dimmer. It always went to 100% on at a power application. Even if Off.

Ok, MAYBE. The Outlet that is switched, the top is the switched the other one is constant.

I just want a few lamps to turn on when I flip on a switch. It's so annoying that the moron who built the home put the outlet in a inconvenient spot....sigh.

I figured there would be an easy way with out running a extension cord around the entire room.
Pages: [1] 2 3

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.