Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: AHP and Win 7 Hibernate Issue  (Read 3748 times)

LAF

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
AHP and Win 7 Hibernate Issue
« on: August 26, 2017, 11:57:40 AM »

I almost always put my Win 7 box in hibernate mode rather than shutdown (unless a reboot is required).  Problem is though, upon wake-up from hibernation, AHP looses the USB connection to the CM15A (as evidenced by download commands etc being grayed out).  This is remedied by closing and relaunching AHP but is an annoyance none-the-less.  Was wondering if there is a way to prevent this?

One other thing if I could.  Use of Lifeguard has removed the registration nag etc but replaced it with another in that the iWatchOut plugin is enabled by Lifeguard and, since I don't have a video device attached, ACH always points that out, when being launched, with a warning message that has to be cleared.  I guess I'm wondering if there is a fix for that or maybe iWatchOut could be de-registered or something?
« Last Edit: August 26, 2017, 02:15:14 PM by LAF »

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
Re: AHP and Win 7 Hibernate Issue
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2017, 12:52:23 PM »

Can't comment on Hibernate.

As for the popup. I got the samething with AHP Lifeguard. On my setup.
Make a copy of the ahp_plugin.xml and store it somewhere else. In case you mess something up.
Edit the file to remove the plug ins you are not using.
I removed the  iWatchout and MyHouse Online lines in the file. Just keeping Smart Macros and On Alert lines in the file.

LAF

« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2017, 02:36:45 PM »

Hey Brian, worked fine, thanks! 

One question though - Plugins/OnAlert only shows an About that gives a window with a label of "Home Security" and a cool schematic.  There appears to be no way of launching it however so I was wondering what good it does?

Brian H

• Community Organizer
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2017, 06:17:28 PM »

With On Alert installed.
In the drop down Modules List. There is a Security Section. You can add things like the DS10A or DS12A Door Window sensors to the room you are adding it to and things like the Security buttons of a SH624 Remote. It will ask if it is also registered to an X10 Security Console. Uncheck the box if not on also registered to a Security Console. Hold the Test Button on the device until it registers to AHP.
That was how your question about the WD13A water sensor could be used in AHP. Was pointed out with a Macro.

You could also add a Security Console. Like an SC1200 and have AHP control some of it functions.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2017, 06:46:01 PM by Brian H »

LAF

« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2017, 06:51:39 PM »

OK, understand now.  I though it was iWatchOut that had the security stuff.  Actually I have them both removed now as the security options require (as I understand it) the PC to be on to function which doesn't work for me.

Brian H

• Community Organizer
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2017, 07:04:54 PM »

iWatchOut involves X10 Cameras. On a X10 USB Camera interface.

I leave both Smart Macros and On Alert active. As I do have some X10 security stuff that I may play with from time to time.

Tuicemen

• Administrator
  • Helpful Post Rating: 282
  • I don't work for X10, I use it successfuly!
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2017, 08:35:43 PM »

I believe the USB issue is Windows 7 power management related.
You have to go into power management advanced and under USB disable the PC from being able to turn them off to save power.
I no longer run win 7 so exact steps to do this I've forgotten :-[
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

LAF

« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2017, 10:09:00 PM »

Tuicemen, you da man!   :)%

Tuicemen

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2017, 07:28:27 AM »

Glad you found it.
Perhaps you can post exactly where the setting is for others that may have the same issue. ;)
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

LAF

« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2017, 11:09:33 AM »

I may have spoken too soon.  It seemed to work at first but, after hibernating overnight, the USB connection was lost.  What I did previously in power management was:

Control Panel - All Control Panel Items - Power Options - Change Plan Settings - Change Advanced Power Settings - expand USB settings - expand USB selective suspend setting - click on "enabled" and select "disabled"

Come to think of it, I now recall the USB connection was sometimes there, but usually not, on resume from hibernation before the Power Options change was made.  It seemed kinda random so maybe something else is going on here(?).

Tuicemen

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2017, 12:13:52 PM »

I wonder if manually placing the PC in Hibernation mode overrides the power management settings.
Did you let it go to sleep on it's own or manually place it in hibernation?
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

LAF

« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2017, 03:26:48 PM »

Manually put in hibernation, not sleep.  Tried sleep mode and same result - USB port is disconnected; reconnect by relaunching AHP.

Then switched power plan from Balanced to High Performance.  Now both sleep and hibernate seem to work properly.  >!  Will let it hibernate o'night and see what happens.

Update:

Crud, left it in hibernate for about 1/2 hour and it reverted to USB disconnected.  Seems to be time dependent for some reason
« Last Edit: August 27, 2017, 04:00:16 PM by LAF »

Brian H

• Community Organizer
« Reply #12 on: August 28, 2017, 06:11:09 AM »

I would have thought the Power Management in the Control Panel would do the trick but one other thing I did see.

You may want to try in the Device Manager.
The USB HUBs properties.
There is a place for Allow computer to turn off devices to save power.
Mine was checked in both XP SP3 and Windows 7.
There where multiple HUBs in my computer. Each had a check box. Maybe you could determine which one is connected to the CM15A and only try turning it off on that hub.

LAF

« Reply #13 on: August 28, 2017, 11:55:10 AM »

Hey Brian, good thought but I tried it and the power box was already unchecked for the CM15.  Also tried switching the CM15 USB plug from the front ports to the back of the cabinet but no joy there either.  Unplugging and replugging the USB plug also doesn't help.  Unplugging all USB devices except the mouse and CM15 didn't help either.

This is happening whether the PC is put to sleep or hibernate (seemingly random failure to connect).  The only other thing I've noticed is that when ACH is closed and relaunched after the USB comes up disconnected is that the typical USB connect/disconnect sound (the "ta-daa" or "ta-duh") is sometime heard and sometimes not.  Odd thing is, what is heard, just after the loading plugins window disappears, is the "ta-duh" (USB disconnect) rather than the expected "ta-daa" (USB connect).  Who knows what if anything that all means - I guess I'll just let it go as, when I'm pretty much finished with my current ACH config, I'll just leave ACH normally closed and launch it only as needed.  It's more curiosity at this point that makes me want to figure out what is going on.  :)

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.