Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Any idea how to accomplish this -- 5 dry contact input, & one dry contact output  (Read 5548 times)

Ardi

• Helpful Post Rating: 0

I have 5 security photocell beams installed.  When one of photocells are tripped, it generates an N.O./N.C. signal (non-voltage contact output; contact capacity 28VDC and 0.2A (max.)

Depending on which photocell beam is broken, I turn on the outside flood light for that face of the house.  I do not turn on all flood lights for all around the house at the same time, meaning that I like to keep the output from the photocell beams separated from each other. This part works fine.  I use 5 PSC01 for this purpose.

The Q. is, I like to purchase something like dry contact splitter which has 5+ input and one output, so that I do not connect the 5 photocells wires (which has the output from photocells) into a single wire, and then not know which photocell was tripped.

And then use the output of the splitter, to turn on something else (like a DVR camera recorder).

Thanks

p.s. 
I tried to use a UM506, but that did not work, since UM506 generates an output which goes from 0-volt to 1-volt, which is not the same as what the Photocell beams outputs, when they are tripped, and wakes up PSC01 (with the input switch set to B)

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305

The UM506 has a dry contact output switch.
It can not be triggered by a dry contact across its output.
It is turned On and Off by an X10 command to its X10 Address.
There should be no voltage on the output screws if it is not connected to anything.

If you are measuring it connected to something. You maybe reading the connected devices input sensing voltage.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2017, 07:11:33 AM by Brian H »

Brian H

• Community Organizer

If I read the question correctly.

You want to keep the 5 photo cells individually controlling a flood light through its own PSC01.
While also taking all the outputs from the photo cells and anyone can then trigger another device. Through some type of 5 input to one output device?

One thing to keep in mind.
Each PSC01 has a sensing voltage on it when in "B" so the dry contacts can trigger it. This voltage may have to be taken into consideration.

Ardi

Hi Brian,
(Step a) I am connecting each of the 5 photocell beams output --> to 5 different PSC01 input --> to generate 5 different X10 command --> to turn on 5 different projector flood light around the house.  This works perfectly, and no issue there.

(Step b) Now my challenge is, I need a SINGLE output, which represent any of ANY of the 5 photocell beam is triggered.  This single output will be used to turn on a DVR to record the event, for example, or to turn on a chime.  I do not want to connect to 5 different DVR or 5 different chime.

If I connect all of the 5 output wires from the photocell beams into a SINGLE wire, this will work, and the (Step b) will work fine, but now (Step a) will not work, since now all of the 5 flood lights will turn on, if any the photocell beam is triggered.

Thanks

JeffVolp

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 122
    • XTB Home Page

You may be able to use diodes to common the outputs to a single control for the DVR.

Jeff
X-10 automation since the BSR days

Ardi

Hi Jeff,
I just looked at the definition of "diodes" and it sounds as if it may do the job.  I have no expertise in electronics.  Let me try it and I will let you know if it worked.  Thanks.

Brian H

• Community Organizer

I was also thinking of diodes.

Things you should keep in mind.
The X10Pro PSC01 or PF282 Powerflash module. Is in Mode B Dry Contact Input. There is around a 6 volt DC voltage on the input to detect dry contacts on or off.
+ 6volts is on the terminal marked - and - 6volts on the terminal marked +.
Diodes are polarity sensitive. Where the banded end is connected. Makes a difference.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2017, 06:36:08 PM by Brian H »

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175

I have 5 security photocell beams installed. .....Depending on which photocell beam is broken, I turn on the outside flood light for that face of the house.
...... I like to purchase something .......to turn on something else (like a DVR camera recorder).

Why not just add 5 motion sensors to your 5 floodlights. Then buy an 8 unit (use five of the cameras) security camera setup and set it up to record on movement (or 24/7 for that matter). The Hard Drive [in the units] write over the old memory/video after some period of time (2-4 weeks).

You can even still find the X10 dual floodlight PR511 motion sensors on EBay. I use the an X10 sensor to trigger a computer generated voice warning which I broadcast both inside and outside.
Home Automation is an always changing technology

Ardi

Hi Brian,

Thank U for the info.  I'll keep it in mind.

Hi Dave,

In the past, I have not had much luck with motion sensors, and I tried a few.  Even one false alarm during the night is not pleasant.  With motion sensors, I used to get false alarms when trees are shaking, or snow or heavy rain, or small animals in the yard. 

I have used the photocell beams for a few years, and I practically do not get any false alarm.  I do wake up at night and see a deer in the yard, but that is because I set my photocell beams sensors at about 4-5 feet height off the ground. I do not want to change that, since I want to know when my kids are outside playing.

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175

..... I have not had much luck with motion sensors, and I tried a few.  Even one false alarm during the night is not pleasant.  With motion sensors, I used to get false alarms when trees are shaking, or snow or heavy rain, or small animals in the yard. 

I have used the photocell beams for a few years, and I practically do not get any false alarm.

You're correct. False alarms are a pain. We're infested with deer in my area (really... an actual infestation)... so I do understand. But the newer (not X10) motion sensors are sensitivity adjustable and more reliable.

I've used the optical sensors/photocell beams myself.... but not outdoors. I found the units voltage/signal ate up my X10 modules. Even buying them in bulk on EBay was pricey.... and hurt reliability.

I separate my backyard... as if... in a different zone. I treat activity "inside the gate" differently than other areas around the house. And I treat points of entry as a security issue.... more-so than perimeter zones. I've found that adding "lawn lamps" near the house..... causes the deer to migrate to the shadows further from the house (and the sensors).

I like what you're doing! Sorry I could not be of any assistance.   
Home Automation is an always changing technology

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.