🔌General Home Automation > Troubleshooting Automation Problems

Christmas Led Lights with X10

<< < (2/7) > >>

roger1818:
The lamp module modification does not remove the sense current that is causing the problem (it only disables local control).  The appliance module modification works better, but there still is a bit of a leakage current.

If a night light isn't convenient, another option would be to install a C7 or C9 socket on a 2-wire extension cord.  If you Google "C7 socket" you will find a bunch of retailers that sell them.  Just check what type of wire your extension cord uses and get the appropriate socket.  You can either keep the incandescent bulb hidden or use  it in your display.  If hidden, you could paint the bulb black.

demcgovern:
The C7 trick sounds good, will keep it in mind. I was not eager to modify the modules especially with the uncertain results. Actually the glow does not bother me as the current was there with the incandescent, just not visible. However it bothered my wife who has a hang-up with technology - except for her cell phone, tablet, microwave...

Do the latest X10 modules have this problem with LEDs? I sent an email on this to Smarthome but still am waiting for a response.

Thanks   Don

Brian H:
I have some of the CFL Friendly Appliance Modules.
There is still a very small On Off sensor voltage on the output. It can not be removed with out issues.
If the module does not know if it is On or Off. It will try two or three times to change state. Sounding like a small machine gun.
The current on the output did not cause some of my LED bulbs to pulse when off like the early ones did. Though real low current LED bulbs like a single strand of Christmas lights still glowed.

The Soft Start Lamp Modules still have sensing current on them and the mods for the older ones will not work. Completely different circuits. Though I believe I found a resistor you can remove to stop it.

I don't think you are going to get an answer from Smarthome as X10 is not their product.
I don't see lots of help even with their own Insteon products. The new owners moved support to an overseas center and shipping facilities at a new address in California. They got purchased by Richmond Capital Partners maybe six months ago.

demcgovern:
Fixed the problem by attaching a LED night light that has a light sensor. Apparently the sensor takes enough current to shutdown the Christmas LEDs. Now to paint the LED night light black. Thanks all for the help.

Don

roger1818:

--- Quote from: demcgovern on December 04, 2017, 04:42:26 PM ---Fixed the problem by attaching a LED night light that has a light sensor. Apparently the sensor takes enough current to shutdown the Christmas LEDs. Now to paint the LED night light black. Thanks all for the help.
--- End quote ---

Interesting.  I wonder if an old incandescent nightlight with light sensor would work with the bulb removed (or burnt out bulb installed for safety)?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version